Closed

Atari Red Baron Cockpit any interest?

I have a cockpit style Red Baron in my garage gathering dust. It's all
there but doesn't work. Years ago I took out the monitor and set a TV/VCR
in its place and my kids would watch videos in it. they graduated to cable
and PS2, so I reinstalled the monitor and moved it to the garage. I would
like the space back.
I have no idea what it is worth or how to grade its condition. I can take
some pics if any interest.
I live in south Texas.
Regards
Roy
4 answers Last reply
More about atari baron cockpit interest

    Heck yeah I'm interested! I'm just too far away... If you were in the
    Midwest, things might be different.

    Anyway, RB CP's are pretty uncommon, I understand. Around 500 made.
    I'm kind of a newbie, so I've only been paying attention for about a
    year, but in that year of looking here and on ebay I have seen no
    cockpits (maybe one?) and maybe five of the more common uprights for
    sale, in various states of repair, going for $250-500 or so. Maybe
    someone else on here has a better feel for the value of the cockpit.
    On the other hand, someone parted out an upright on ebay a few weeks
    ago, and the board went for over 200 and the control panel went for a
    cool hundred bucks. Another game that, to parphrase Mr. Potter, is
    apparently worth more dead than alive. Too bad. Underrated game IMHO.
  2. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace (More info?)

    I have a nonworking upright if your interested everything is good
    accept the boardset.Snohomish,Wa.

    Matt Fisher wrote:
    > Heck yeah I'm interested! I'm just too far away... If you were in the
    > Midwest, things might be different.
    >
    > Anyway, RB CP's are pretty uncommon, I understand. Around 500 made.
    > I'm kind of a newbie, so I've only been paying attention for about a
    > year, but in that year of looking here and on ebay I have seen no
    > cockpits (maybe one?) and maybe five of the more common uprights for
    > sale, in various states of repair, going for $250-500 or so. Maybe
    > someone else on here has a better feel for the value of the cockpit.
    > On the other hand, someone parted out an upright on ebay a few weeks
    > ago, and the board went for over 200 and the control panel went for a
    > cool hundred bucks. Another game that, to parphrase Mr. Potter, is
    > apparently worth more dead than alive. Too bad. Underrated game IMHO.
  3. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace (More info?)

    I actually have a trade pending for a working upright, so I will be
    getting my own pretty soon. Thanks for the offer. Of course, a
    cockpit is the ultimate goal. I just can't justify paying for shipping
    from Texas, or paying for the game, for that matter. Maybe someday.
  4. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace (More info?)

    This is where I left this game.
    Red Baron Cockpit. need repair help.
    All 3 messages in topic - view as tree
    Roy and Rosa Dec 30 1999, 3:00 am show options

    Newsgroups: rec.games.video.arcade,
    rec.games.video.arcade.collecting
    From: "Roy and Rosa" <rbe...@interconnect.net> - Find messages
    by this author
    Date: 1999/12/30
    Subject: Red Baron Cockpit. need repair help.
    original | Report Abuse

    Hello. I am trying to repair my Atari red baron. I am looking for
    any
    schematics or troubleshooting guides. I downloaded the .tiff format
    schems
    from spies BUT... each page takes about 30-40 minutes to load in my
    viewer
    and they are verrrry slooooow to view once loaded. So slow that it is
    too
    frustrating to even try to use them.
    Does anyone know where a .pdf version might be found?
    Also, any advice on typical trouble spots on this game?
    I understand it is the same board used in BattleZone.

    Just in case anyone wants to know:
    power supplies all OK
    no video. (spot killer on) no voltage at x-out or y-out.
    clock circuit working.
    watchdog timer resets cpu for about 3 minutes when turned on ,then
    starts to
    work correctly.
    activity on address/data lines
    no audio
    light on in cockpit control panel
    random clicking of coin counter
    no inputs work

    Cant do much more without some usable schematics.
    Thanks for any help. Roy Beaty rbe...@interconnect.net

    Jon Raiford Dec 31 1999, 3:00 am show options

    Newsgroups: rec.games.video.arcade,
    rec.games.video.arcade.collecting
    From: Jon Raiford <raif...@mindspring.com> - Find messages by
    this author
    Date: 1999/12/31
    Subject: Re: Red Baron Cockpit. need repair help.
    original | Report Abuse

    Have you replaced the Big Blue capacitor? It could cause something
    like this.
    Also try verifying the roms and cleaning the edge connector & socketed
    chips' legs.

    Jon

    Roy and Rosa wrote:

    > Hello. I am trying to repair my Atari red baron. I am looking for
    any
    > schematics or troubleshooting guides. I downloaded the .tiff
    format schems
    > from spies BUT... each page takes about 30-40 minutes to load in my
    viewer
    > and they are verrrry slooooow to view once loaded. So slow that it
    is too
    > frustrating to even try to use them.
    > Does anyone know where a .pdf version might be found?
    > Also, any advice on typical trouble spots on this game?
    > I understand it is the same board used in BattleZone.

    > Just in case anyone wants to know:
    > power supplies all OK
    > no video. (spot killer on) no voltage at x-out or y-out.
    > clock circuit working.
    > watchdog timer resets cpu for about 3 minutes when turned on ,then
    starts to
    > work correctly.
    > activity on address/data lines
    > no audio
    > light on in cockpit control panel
    > random clicking of coin counter
    > no inputs work

    > Cant do much more without some usable schematics.
    > Thanks for any help. Roy Beaty rbe...@interconnect.net

    Roy and Rosa Jan 7 2000, 3:00 am show options

    Newsgroups: rec.games.video.arcade,
    rec.games.video.arcade.collecting
    From: "Roy and Rosa" <rbe...@interconnect.net> - Find messages
    by this author
    Date: 2000/01/07
    original | Report Abuse

    Cleaned all pins. Light in cockpit started flashing and stayed on
    steady
    when pressed.
    Then things seemed to get worse than before. watchdog resetting
    continously now. Address decoder doesnt seem to work....?
    will replace cap and see what happens. Roy

    "Roy and Rosa" <rbeaty@grandecom.net> wrote in message
    > I have a cockpit style Red Baron in my garage gathering dust. It's all
    > there but doesn't work. Years ago I took out the monitor and set a TV/VCR
    > in its place and my kids would watch videos in it. they graduated to
    cable
    > and PS2, so I reinstalled the monitor and moved it to the garage. I would
    > like the space back.
    > I have no idea what it is worth or how to grade its condition. I can take
    > some pics if any interest.
    > I live in south Texas.
    > Regards
    > Roy