AGP 8X & AGP Pro ??

G

I am trying to build myself a new system which will remain upgradable for a few more years. One of the areas I consider to be important in this respect is that of the Graphics card.

My question is what is going to be the de-facto standard for graphics cards in the near future? I'd heard about AGP Pro slots, and decided that I must have one in order to keep the graphics upgrades optimal, but now I've just heard about AGP 8X ! Would an AGP 4X Pro slot take an 8X card? will AGP 8X be a Pro slot or not? Should I worry about AGP 8X, since it would seem that the performance gain is very limited?

Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks all!

Christopher

rcf84

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Well there is 8x AGP. Only in some SiS chipsets (onboard video) well i have to guess 8x will be in a year.

Nice Intel and AMD users get a Cookie.... :smile: Yummy :smile:

Booky

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2001
The new chipset in the making for AMD systems is supposed to have AGP 8x also. I am pretty sure that if you get a AGP Pro you will be fine since the only difference in AGP and AGP is that you can add more power to the Pro. The cards should fit in both types of slots its just that they both have to support AGP Pro in order to use the Pro feature. As for AGP 8x, it will be here sometime but not sure of when of course. I guess in your situation you should look for a motherboard that has a AGP Pro slot, and has a chipset that supports AGP 8X.

Crap, all the good ones are already taken.

G

Definately get a board with an AGP Pro slot, as you won't be able to use AGP Pro cards in a standard AGP slot. (though regular AGP cards will work in AGP Pro slots) As far as the AGP 8x goes, don't worry about that, you can change the multiplier to 2x, 4x, 8x in the bios, no matter what card you have, though 8x will be the fastest.

Aklein

It's raining outside, and my lawn has grown a foot overnight!