Account restricted

I recently had a computer crash and had to take it in to have xp reinstalled.
since then I have been unable to reinstall i-tunes. I get a couple error
messages stating that certain registry keys can not be written (access
denied, errors 1406,1402) then a failure message error 1603. I am set up as
an administrator. I have poured through dozens of threads on this board
looking for answers to no avail. I have double and triple checked my
privledges and accounts. I tried to install from safe mode but am unable to
do that. Any help would be appreciated.

I'm not possitive, but I thought iTunes depended on QuickTime being
installed first?

"PARob" <PARob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I recently had a computer crash and had to take it in to have xp
>reinstalled.
> since then I have been unable to reinstall i-tunes. I get a couple error
> messages stating that certain registry keys can not be written (access
> denied, errors 1406,1402) then a failure message error 1603. I am set up
> as
> an administrator. I have poured through dozens of threads on this board
> looking for answers to no avail. I have double and triple checked my
> privledges and accounts. I tried to install from safe mode but am unable
> do that. Any help would be appreciated.

Quick time is loaded as part of the install as it is the backbone of the
player/service. QuickTime does get succesfully installed but the remainder
fails shortly after that portion.

"Michael T" wrote:

> I'm not possitive, but I thought iTunes depended on QuickTime being
> installed first?
>
> "PARob" <PARob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I recently had a computer crash and had to take it in to have xp
> >reinstalled.
> > since then I have been unable to reinstall i-tunes. I get a couple error
> > messages stating that certain registry keys can not be written (access
> > denied, errors 1406,1402) then a failure message error 1603. I am set up
> > as
> > an administrator. I have poured through dozens of threads on this board
> > looking for answers to no avail. I have double and triple checked my
> > privledges and accounts. I tried to install from safe mode but am unable
> > do that. Any help would be appreciated.

Is there a tech support forum web site or phone number for iTunes?

> Quick time is loaded as part of the install as it is the backbone of the
> player/service. QuickTime does get successfully installed but the
> remainder
> fails shortly after that portion.
>
> "Michael T" wrote:
>
>> I'm not positive, but I thought iTunes depended on QuickTime being
>> installed first?
>>
>> "PARob" <PARob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I recently had a computer crash and had to take it in to have XP
>> >reinstalled.
>> > since then I have been unable to reinstall I-tunes. I get a couple
>> > error
>> > messages stating that certain registry keys can not be written (access
>> > denied, errors 1406,1402) then a failure message error 1603. I am set
>> > up
>> > as
>> > an administrator. I have poured through dozens of threads on this
>> > board
>> > looking for answers to no avail. I have double and triple checked my
>> > privileges and accounts. I tried to install from safe mode but am
>> > unable
>> > do that. Any help would be appreciated.

I've tried a variety of software updating of installshield as well as some
registry edits to no avail. I've tried some stuff from itunes as well.

"Michael T" wrote:

> "PARob" <PARob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I have been unable to reinstall i-tunes. I get a couple error
> > including failure message error 1603.
>
> http://support.installshield.com/kb/view.asp?articleid=Q107249

So have you concluded it is not a problem with InstallShield (IS) - but with
the iTunes installation program?

You could try installing a different application (that uses InstallShield)
to see if any IS install program will work.

For example, you could try to download and install a free version of
Musicmatch Jukebox at
http://tinyurl.com/6vr2x

Or a simpler application to install is one I wrote a couple of years ago
(AccessBase 2000) at:
http://www.linearcorp.com/accessbase2000.asp

Note: These are large programs, so if you are *not* using broadband you may
want to try something else.

Finally, you did not say whether you have exhausted the tips (or solutions)
suggested at:
http://support.installshield.com/kb/view.asp?articleid=Q107249

Keep us posted.