Sign in with
Your question

Hp pavilion zd8000 gpu fail

Last response: in Laptop General Discussion
January 15, 2013 3:31:41 PM

hello
i'm repairing a hp zd 8000 for my friend and i discoverd that the gpu probaly failed
the only thing i i get on the screen is the hp logo the random lines through it an when it boots up i also have lines and than windows chrashes.
Can i replace the gpu on that laptop?

thanks for the help
a b α HP
a b D Laptop
January 15, 2013 3:52:35 PM

jaslion said:
hello
i'm repairing a hp zd 8000 for my friend and i discoverd that the gpu probaly failed
the only thing i i get on the screen is the hp logo the random lines through it an when it boots up i also have lines and than windows chrashes.
Can i replace the gpu on that laptop?

thanks for the help

it part of the system board. but i would connect a monitor to the laptop and see if the video out port has the same errors.a lot of times lines in screen is the screen or inverter board issue. I would pull the hard drive and 1/2 the ram and see if it boots to the bios and or a hirem boot cd without any errors. some laptops use onboard ram for video ram..if the ram stick is lose or bad..can cause issues. if the hard drive is dead it can also pull more power then normal causing mb issues.
January 15, 2013 4:08:49 PM

smorizio said:
it part of the system board. but i would connect a monitor to the laptop and see if the video out port has the same errors.a lot of times lines in screen is the screen or inverter board issue. I would pull the hard drive and 1/2 the ram and see if it boots to the bios and or a hirem boot cd without any errors. some laptops use onboard ram for video ram..if the ram stick is lose or bad..can cause issues. if the hard drive is dead it can also pull more power then normal causing mb issues.

i did everything you said ans then i reinstalled the amd graphics driver in safe mode an suddenly everything started working again i can even boot up xp normally :) 
but i will test this thing more before i give it back. i also have an extra quastion what does the middel fan cool i have no idea
Related resources
a b α HP
a b D Laptop
January 16, 2013 6:24:41 AM

it not a fan it a salad shooter :) 
in pc it be the fan for the cpu or it a exchange fan..to help pull or push air into or out of a laptop.
January 17, 2013 2:28:57 PM

well now my problem is that i won't turn on
it only beeps four times maybe the gpu failed but it worked 2 day without a problem
a b α HP
a b D Laptop
January 18, 2013 6:37:55 AM

take ac power and battery...flip it over and make sure the ram is seated. if it is and everything looks fine...sounds like the laptop mb died.
January 18, 2013 2:11:37 PM

everything is fine in there.
if i may believe youtube and the internet then i would need to bake my gpu to get it working cause it could be (andd i 'm pretty shure) that the solderings are busted
thanks for the help
a b α HP
a b D Laptop
January 19, 2013 12:26:16 AM

if it has nvida video chipset see if it one of the recall laptops of the nvidia class action lawsuit.
January 19, 2013 10:54:52 AM

it has the mobility radeon x600 in it so no nvidia chipset :( 
!