kyro 2 (directx7 vs directx8)

G

I have 2 O.S.(windows 98 and 2k )

after some changes I made to my bios setup and after I overclock my duron to 900 I can get 4478 score with kyro 2 in 3dmark 2000 with win98/directx7

my better score in directx8 with windows 2k with kyro 2 is 3400 ...

what is the problem here?

windows 2k ?
maybe because there are 2 more devices on the same irq with my kyro 2, and I can´t change this.

directx8 ?
rendering into textures maybe the issue... (using cpu for this in directx8, microsoft didn't have any kyro to test so they had disabled some kyro features).

maybe we will get more 1000 points in 3dmark 2001 with windows 98 or windows 2k with direct8.1 final (microsoft said they will correct this)

Any of you have a win98 with directx8 and 3dmark 2000?
Please some answers to these two questions!

I don't want to find out by myself I would need to put directx8 on my win98 I am afraid that I would need a new win98 install to put directx7 again...
maybe I have something wrong on my system...

... I have all my games working very well with kyro 2 with direct7/win98 or windows2k/direct8... even some of these games are great in 1600x1200x32...
but this 3dmark scores tell me that I get more performance from kyro 2 in window98 with directx7...

my tests were with 3dmark 2k defaults 1024x768x16...
I get the same results in 32 bits...

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by lusitano on 05/26/01 10:01 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
It is a known issue, best bet is to wait until DX8.1 comes out before you upgrade. Play all the games you got. There is only one game I know of that absolutly requires DX8a and that is FLY2!!. So I wouldn't worry to much about not having DX8 since all it will do is decrease your performance around 25-40%. Game on.

G

thank you for your reply !

Well I am very curious.
So I did a clean install of windows 2000, windows 2000 comes with directx7, I think.

Now I get 4234 3dmark 2k score (1000 ponts more from direct8.1 beta) with windows 2000.

I made this conclusion :

every kyro 2 review (mostly with directx8) are not giving the truth of kyro 2!

this card is really good!
Even with these pecularities, most reviews give a positive image of it.
The best review out there is the one with the most opengl testing. Now when I see a review of kyro2 with 3dmark 2k1 I will have to start laughing !!!

anybody knows when directx8.1 final release will come out ?

I saw this 2 days ago:
"Geneva, May 24, 2001 - STMicroelectronics (NYSE: STM) today announced that its KYRO II™ 3D Graphics Accelerator has successfully passed Windows Hardware Quality Lab (WHQL) testing, confirming KYRO II's hardware and software compatibility with Microsoft's Windows operating system. WHQL certification for KYRO II means that PC OEMs and system builders worldwide can take advantage of KYRO II's unprecedented combination of frame rate performance and image quality."

hummm nice. so we will get directx8.1 with all kyro 2 features enabled...

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by lusitano on 05/26/01 05:29 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

I hope that Kyro 2 does well, its about time somebody gave Nvidea a little competition. Their cards are overpriced, and we all saw how they slashed prices when thy heard about Kyro 2...

---
Engage!

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
I think the Kyro is going to give everybody stiff competition. Those boards can be sold allot cheaper and still make a profit. OEMs I think will use the Kyro and Kyro2 cards shortly. I just hope ImgTec keeps on delivering drivers and developes the next chip for a Christmass lauch this year.