Lots of disturbance on Yamaha XG 738 Sound card

G

I have a Celeron 433 running on a Apollo Pro board with 128MB PC100 RAM. ASUS V7100 - Geforce 2 MX 32MB as my display card. I use Windows 98. There's a lot of disturbances when I play any games or even when I view any animations on the screen. There's no problem with MP3s and movies. The sound on movies and music being played too slows down when I run do too much of movement on the screen like maximize and minimize of windows and animations on webpages,etc. The gaming performance I get is good but not as good as I got on a P3 500 machine elsewhere. Can anyone guide me as what I'm doing wrong? I use Detonators 6.50.

rbertino

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2001
Well, first of all, a Celeron 433 runs a lot slower than a P3 500 (and not just 77 MHz slower as the numbers would indicate). A Celeron has a 66 MHz bus, where the P3 500 has a 100 MHz bus, and newer P3's have a 133 MHz buses. This translates in to a Celeron having much slower performance than a similar speed Pentium III.

Also, I noticed you said you had a VIA Apollo Pro board, you might want to try updating your VIA 4 in 1 chipset drivers if you have not done so. I think the newest ones are version 4.31.

As far as the Dentonator 6.50 drivers, those are the last official drivers that Nvidia has offered. If you want to try the unofficial drivers (which generally give you better performance) then go to www.videocarddrivers.com and get the Detonator 12.40 drivers.

Oh, and maybe see if the sound card has any newer drivers. I'm not sure where you would look for those, unfortunately.

Hope some of this helps...

<i>I don't know anything about computers... but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night...</i> :lol: