Competition for Ge 3?

G

Hi, this kind of covers more than 1 forum but video card seems to be most important so here goes...

I've been waiting for a 3D Video game, (Neverwinter Nights) to come out before I buy a new computer.

I want the BEST Video card for Gaming at the time of purchase, maybe in a few months, which looks like the Ge 3. I really would like to know when the Next Generation card from ATI is coming out so I can do some comparison shopping. I went to ATI.com but I cant find any info on their next offering.

I am also currently waiting till Windows XP comes out, so I wont be stuck with Windows ME... Is that a good Idea for a computer that will be used mostly for gaming?

Last big decision is the processor I was going with an AMD at 1Gig+ with a 266 mhz fsb simply because it has comparable game performance at a lower price.
Now I'm hearing about the Athlon4 Is that going to be out soon? Will it be cheaper than a P4 as well? Is it a big improvement over the current AMDs and P4s video game wise?

I have $1500 to spend on a new computer right now and I figure I can trade my old computer in to get a nice 19" monitor, but If any of those things I listed above is worth the wait I will wait.

I play mostly RPG and RTS games, but I must admit that I'm a demo freak and I'm constantly trying games off the Internet or from the Game magazines I subscribe to. Unfortunately this old computer SEVERELY limits my gaming.

Oh and let me know if a 20GB Harddrive at 7200rpm is good.

rd382

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2001
Wait for either a Athlon 4 or the Northwood. Not sure what you mean by Ge 3.... I think it would be better for you to wait 6-8 months or till when your game comes out until you start looking around

<font color=green>I can draw tyte give me the damn crayon!</font color=green>

SerArthurDayne

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2001
He means Geforce 3 :p

ATI hasn't released any REAL info yet on their Radeon 2 yet, but I think someone said they were supposed to do so this Tuesday. ATI claims they're going to mop the floor with Nvidia... and while I'm a happy Nvidia user right now, I can only hope they're telling the truth :)

Anything that kicks the Geforce3's ass is something I wanna have.

And I would wait for an Athlon 4 if you want to go AMD.. better performance and a nice heat reduction on those things, meaning you can use a quieter fan. How I would love to break my screaming Delta into tiny little pieces....

baron

Distinguished
May 22, 2001
6-8 months... Don't study to much about current techno.. It will be useless for you to do so, due to you are wanting the new processors coming out in 2002. Means atleast a new mobo and new CPU... Maybe the same ram. New videocard for sure in 2002.

But if the techno is a good hobby for you. Makes you happy. Then no harm in it. I like to talk about the latest techno.

IMacs for the blind