Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Yea or nay? Tight Budget Gamer...

Last response: in Laptop Tech Support
Share
January 15, 2013 7:15:06 PM

I just found this guy here...

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/acer-acer-aspire-v3...

Acer Aspire V3 Series 15.6" Laptop - Silver (Intel Core i5-3210M / 750GB HDD / 4GB RAM / Windows 8) - Online Only

Screen: 15.6 Inches
Intel Core i5-3210M
NVIDIA GeForce 730M
750 GB

Optional: MS Office for $100, and a promise for the next version free.

Not too shabby for $729 CND eh??

It should handle Skyrim in basic - medium.
Closer to the 6lbs mark than I'd like.. OH well.

Thoughts?
a b D Laptop
January 15, 2013 7:39:13 PM

laptops are not made for gaming...most of them..the laptop you listed is great laptop for it price but in games it going to run real hot. you may need to get a cooling pad if you game a lot. for the same money you could have a better desktop.
http://ncix.com/products/?sku=57869&vpn=KHX1600C9D3K2%2...
53.00
http://ncix.com/products/?sku=76258&vpn=SH-224BB%2FBEBE...
20.00
http://ncix.com/products/?sku=57910&vpn=Z9%20Plus&manuf...
40.00
http://ncix.com/products/?sku=59616&vpn=P1650SNLB9&manu...
60.00
http://ncix.com/products/?sku=74462&vpn=WD10EZEX&manufa...
70.00
http://ncix.com/products/?sku=72279&vpn=BX80637I53470&m...
190.00
http://ncix.com/products/?sku=69231&vpn=Z77A-G45&manufa...
100.00
http://ncix.com/products/?sku=76172&vpn=66NPH7DN6ZVZ&ma...
http://ncix.com/products/?sku=77602&vpn=FX-785A-CNL4&ma...
both around 180-200.00 cad.
727 for a system that game a lot better and has a faster drive and more storage.
windows os 100.00
m
0
l
January 15, 2013 7:43:06 PM

Nay, thats a terrible price for a laptop of those specs, unless electronics in canada are more expensive.

Check this laptop out: http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/controller/e/web/Len...

Better processor, better graphics card, more ram, more storage, and lighter. MS office is a ripoff. Use a free alternative like open office unless you are using it for professional reasons.
m
0
l
Related resources
January 15, 2013 9:19:06 PM

ittimjones said:
WTH!?!?!?

That's listed as having the GeForce 700 Seriese graphics in it!!!!

That's not been released yet!!!

I checked the site and sure enough, that's the way it's listed
"NVIDIA GeForce 730M graphics card with 1GB of dedicated memory"

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/acer-acer-aspire-v3...



Yup... that's why I was kinda excited.. .we'll see what happens when it arrives.

I thought about the Y400.. but I honestly, ridiculously, hate the color red THAT MUCH.. that I won't go for it. And the Y580.. as much as I want it, is just stretching the budget into a galaxy far far away beyond reason for me and my budget. I honestly have no right to buy the one mentioned above!

Little else sub-$800 to $750 carries anything beyond Intel integrated or NVidia 610.
m
0
l
January 15, 2013 9:22:04 PM

Azn Cracker said:
Nay, thats a terrible price for a laptop of those specs, unless electronics in canada are more expensive.

Check this laptop out: http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/controller/e/web/Len...

Better processor, better graphics card, more ram, more storage, and lighter. MS office is a ripoff. Use a free alternative like open office unless you are using it for professional reasons.



Ya.. we ususally get dinged harder on EVERYTHING up here.. ever heard of cross-border shopping??

Also, I'm not too excited at the prospect of a 14" screen... even if the lesser weight would be welcomed.

If I could get to buffalo, find a store with it in stock, and find somewhere to spend the weekend for free.. I think I'd be able to save nearly $200 on the Y580 down there. Alas.

If anyone finds that model cheaper.. please let me know! I didn't see it on newegg, CDW, Tigerdirect or anywhereelse that I know of for that price.

Keep in mind.. if I did have to have it shipped from Frys / Cali, I'd pay in shipping / import tax the diff in price.

Yup. Blows goats.
m
0
l
January 17, 2013 2:47:45 AM

Acer V3

FYI..
For anyone that cares... the laptop arrived already.. and yup.. they screwed up the stats BIG TIME. Like on other sites (mentioned) it only has a GT 640M 2GB.

I honestly thought perhaps they'd changed it.. so pissed. I'm giving it a try.. so far I think I'm finding that it lives up to the reviews on notebookreview.. the key's could use some farther traveling.. .. I likley wouldn't have thought too much of it if I hadn't read the review.. but now that I know of it... it does kinda feel like my fingers are prematurely running into a brick wall.. and the touchpad isn't as perfectly responsive as you'd expect with.. how many decades of development?? Oh well.

The main kicker though.. I went to load Skyrim to see how the 640m fared... once in the disk drive.. the drive just makes funny noises. I've tried twice so far. I"m not at all impressed.. pretty pissed off in fact. This does not boad well.. my last acer from 4 years ago or so fried instantly when I plugged in some crappy little MP3 player. Static of some sort I guess.. never mind that it was on a desk at the time.. not my lap or any of that.

I'm thinking pretty hard of returning this and just somehow finding the extra $300 for the Lenovo Y580. ...

Trying the rom drive with a music cd... no issues.. speakers have nice volume but kinda tin-y sounding.. .. oh.. to have a real job with a real paycheck.. none of this working poor bs. :) 
m
0
l
January 17, 2013 2:55:25 AM

ittimjones said:
WTH!?!?!?

That's listed as having the GeForce 700 Seriese graphics in it!!!!

That's not been released yet!!!

I checked the site and sure enough, that's the way it's listed
"NVIDIA GeForce 730M graphics card with 1GB of dedicated memory"

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/acer-acer-aspire-v3...


kyleis said:
Yup... that's why I was kinda excited.. .we'll see what happens when it arrives.

I thought about the Y400.. but I honestly, ridiculously, hate the color red THAT MUCH.. that I won't go for it. And the Y580.. as much as I want it, is just stretching the budget into a galaxy far far away beyond reason for me and my budget. I honestly have no right to buy the one mentioned above!

Little else sub-$800 to $750 carries anything beyond Intel integrated or NVidia 610.

Its a rebadge for oems, nothing to get excited about. Well the Y400 was a pretty decent deal and the acer was insanely overpriced. Also I bought a 15 inch laptop and thought it was too bulky. The 14 inch seemed to have a much smaller chassis while only losing one inch. But it comes down to preference i guess. And lastly, we used to go to Canada to buy stuff because of the currency, but now canadian dollers are worth as much/more than us dollars.
m
0
l
January 17, 2013 2:58:50 AM

kyleis said:
Acer V3

FYI..
For anyone that cares... the laptop arrived already.. and yup.. they screwed up the stats BIG TIME. Like on other sites (mentioned) it only has a GT 640M 2GB.

I honestly thought perhaps they'd changed it.. so pissed. I'm giving it a try.. so far I think I'm finding that it lives up to the reviews on notebookreview.. the key's could use some farther traveling.. .. I likley wouldn't have thought too much of it if I hadn't read the review.. but now that I know of it... it does kinda feel like my fingers are prematurely running into a brick wall.. and the touchpad isn't as perfectly responsive as you'd expect with.. how many decades of development?? Oh well.

The main kicker though.. I went to load Skyrim to see how the 640m fared... once in the disk drive.. the drive just makes funny noises. I've tried twice so far. I"m not at all impressed.. pretty pissed off in fact. This does not boad well.. my last acer from 4 years ago or so fried instantly when I plugged in some crappy little MP3 player. Static of some sort I guess.. never mind that it was on a desk at the time.. not my lap or any of that.

I'm thinking pretty hard of returning this and just somehow finding the extra $300 for the Lenovo Y580. ...

Trying the rom drive with a music cd... no issues.. speakers have nice volume but kinda tin-y sounding.. .. oh.. to have a real job with a real paycheck.. none of this working poor bs. :) 

Oh you didnt get screwed over. The 730m is the same card as the 640m. They just renamed it for oem's so they sell better ( seems like it is working very well lol) Heres an article on it.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6579/nvidias-annual-gpu-r...

A good strategy for buying a laptop is going to the store to look at it and get a feel for it. Then order it online.
m
0
l
January 17, 2013 3:21:30 AM

kyleis said:
Keep in mind.. if I did have to have it shipped from Frys / Cali, I'd pay in shipping / import tax the diff in price.


If you buy on eBay, a lot of sellers will help you reduce some of the import tax.
m
0
l
!