Windows Explorer - unwanted copies

July 28, 2005 5:23:08 PM

Hi,

Can anyone tell me why, when moving or copying files in Explorer by
Ctrl-dragging, I often get unwanted copies in the same folder? It seems to
happen randomly as it doesn't happen every time.

I don't let go of the mouse button or the Ctrl key.

How can I avoid this?

Noel
Anonymous
July 28, 2005 11:31:09 PM

Noel,

See "Shortcut Keys and Key Modifiers for the Windows Shell " at David' site:
http://www.mvps.org/serenitymacros/explorer.html

Shift + Drag:
Move a file (default when dragging on the same drive)

Ctrl + Drag:
Copies a file (default for dragging between drives)

--
Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
http://windowsxp.mvps.org

"Noel S Pamfree" <Noel.spamfree@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Can anyone tell me why, when moving or copying files in Explorer by
> Ctrl-dragging, I often get unwanted copies in the same folder? It seems to
> happen randomly as it doesn't happen every time.
>
> I don't let go of the mouse button or the Ctrl key.
>
> How can I avoid this?
>
> Noel

Anonymous
July 28, 2005 11:31:10 PM

I don't think I made myself as clear as I should.

I know about CTRL-drag and Shift-drag. However, sometimes when I hold the
Ctrl key down and start selecting three or four items to move or copy, I
find that Explorer quickly copies them into the same sub-directory I am in,
before I can actually drag them into the folder I want.

Hope this is clearer!

Noel

> Noel,
>
> See "Shortcut Keys and Key Modifiers for the Windows Shell " at David'
> site:
> http://www.mvps.org/serenitymacros/explorer.html
>
> Shift + Drag:
> Move a file (default when dragging on the same drive)
>
> Ctrl + Drag:
> Copies a file (default for dragging between drives)
>

> --
> Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>

> "Noel S Pamfree" <Noel.spamfree@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> Can anyone tell me why, when moving or copying files in Explorer by
>> Ctrl-dragging, I often get unwanted copies in the same folder? It seems
>> to happen randomly as it doesn't happen every time.
>>
>> I don't let go of the mouse button or the Ctrl key.
>>
>> How can I avoid this?
>>
>> Noel

Anonymous
July 29, 2005 12:31:20 AM

Noel,

I don't think it's a Windows setting. I believe this is a problem with the
Mouse (left button) as I've experienced similar behavior before.

--

!