Windows Explorer - unwanted copies

Hi,

Can anyone tell me why, when moving or copying files in Explorer by
Ctrl-dragging, I often get unwanted copies in the same folder? It seems to
happen randomly as it doesn't happen every time.

I don't let go of the mouse button or the Ctrl key.

How can I avoid this?

Noel
3 answers Last reply
More about windows explorer unwanted copies

    Noel,

    See "Shortcut Keys and Key Modifiers for the Windows Shell " at David' site:
    http://www.mvps.org/serenitymacros/explorer.html

    Shift + Drag:
    Move a file (default when dragging on the same drive)

    Ctrl + Drag:
    Copies a file (default for dragging between drives)

    --
    Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org

    "Noel S Pamfree" <Noel.spamfree@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > Can anyone tell me why, when moving or copying files in Explorer by
    > Ctrl-dragging, I often get unwanted copies in the same folder? It seems to
    > happen randomly as it doesn't happen every time.
    >
    > I don't let go of the mouse button or the Ctrl key.
    >
    > How can I avoid this?
    >
    > Noel

    I don't think I made myself as clear as I should.

    I know about CTRL-drag and Shift-drag. However, sometimes when I hold the
    Ctrl key down and start selecting three or four items to move or copy, I
    find that Explorer quickly copies them into the same sub-directory I am in,
    before I can actually drag them into the folder I want.

    Hope this is clearer!

    Noel

    > Noel,
    >
    > See "Shortcut Keys and Key Modifiers for the Windows Shell " at David'
    > site:
    > http://www.mvps.org/serenitymacros/explorer.html
    >
    > Shift + Drag:
    > Move a file (default when dragging on the same drive)
    >
    > Ctrl + Drag:
    > Copies a file (default for dragging between drives)
    >

    > --
    > Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >

    > "Noel S Pamfree" <Noel.spamfree@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> Can anyone tell me why, when moving or copying files in Explorer by
    >> Ctrl-dragging, I often get unwanted copies in the same folder? It seems
    >> to happen randomly as it doesn't happen every time.
    >>
    >> I don't let go of the mouse button or the Ctrl key.
    >>
    >> How can I avoid this?
    >>
    >> Noel

    Noel,

    I don't think it's a Windows setting. I believe this is a problem with the
    Mouse (left button) as I've experienced similar behavior before.

    --

    >I don't think I made myself as clear as I should.
    >
    > I know about CTRL-drag and Shift-drag. However, sometimes when I hold the
    > Ctrl key down and start selecting three or four items to move or copy, I
    > find that Explorer quickly copies them into the same sub-directory I am
    > in, before I can actually drag them into the folder I want.
    >
    > Hope this is clearer!
    >
    > Noel
    >

    > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@XOX.mvps.org> wrote in message
    >> Noel,
    >>
    >> See "Shortcut Keys and Key Modifiers for the Windows Shell " at David'
    >> site:
    >> http://www.mvps.org/serenitymacros/explorer.html
    >>
    >> Shift + Drag:
    >> Move a file (default when dragging on the same drive)
    >>
    >> Ctrl + Drag:
    >> Copies a file (default for dragging between drives)
    >>

    >> --
    >> Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
    >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >>

    >> "Noel S Pamfree" <Noel.spamfree@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>> Hi,
    >>>
    >>> Can anyone tell me why, when moving or copying files in Explorer by
    >>> Ctrl-dragging, I often get unwanted copies in the same folder? It seems
    >>> to happen randomly as it doesn't happen every time.
    >>>
    >>> I don't let go of the mouse button or the Ctrl key.
    >>>
    >>> How can I avoid this?
    >>>
    >>> Noel

Windows Explorer Support Microsoft Windows XP