The case of the missing localhost

Greetings,

I have done some serious Googling and come up with nothing. As with all
the other posts here, I too hope someone can help.

I have (had) a localhost that I used for my VB.net projects. No
problems whatsoever...until a couple days ago. I use the localhost on
my PC so as to not affect anything live. I installed a Windows Update
which had KB903235 and KB901214. A day later I went to load a project
in VB.net from my localhost. Normally in the Open Project dialog box,
localhost is selected and I get a listing of all my projects. Now, I
get nothing...just blank. No errors or anything. If I use My Network
Places and try to view localHost, it also shows nothing. However, if I
look in My Computer and go to C:\Intepub\wwwroot, everything shows up
fine(yipee). Somehow, I lost the link between the two and I can't
figure out how to get it back.

Like I said, before the recent update, everything was fine, but now I
can't load my localhost projects. I have changed absolutely nothing
recently(other than the update) and haven't had any other problems that
would make you think could have caused this. So, since the update is
the only recent system change, I'm kind of leaning toward it as the
cause. I have rebooted google times with no help. Has anybody seen
anything similar to this or have any ideas? Any help is definitely
appreciated!!

Regards,

Kurt
2 answers Last reply
More about case missing localhost

    Does the HOSTS file have its entry for
    ;
    127.0.0.1 localhost
    ;

    If you enter http://127.0.0.1:80 what happens?
    Is there an index.htm in the webroot?
    Is that the default type in the settings?
    When you view source in the webroot page displayed in localhost, can you see the usual html you expect?

    --
    Mark L. Ferguson
    "Kurt" <kbaker@granitemicrosystems.com> wrote in message news:1122559436.391657.266830@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
    > Greetings,
    >
    > I have done some serious Googling and come up with nothing. As with all
    > the other posts here, I too hope someone can help.
    >
    > I have (had) a localhost that I used for my VB.net projects. No
    > problems whatsoever...until a couple days ago. I use the localhost on
    > my PC so as to not affect anything live. I installed a Windows Update
    > which had KB903235 and KB901214. A day later I went to load a project
    > in VB.net from my localhost. Normally in the Open Project dialog box,
    > localhost is selected and I get a listing of all my projects. Now, I
    > get nothing...just blank. No errors or anything. If I use My Network
    > Places and try to view localHost, it also shows nothing. However, if I
    > look in My Computer and go to C:\Intepub\wwwroot, everything shows up
    > fine(yipee). Somehow, I lost the link between the two and I can't
    > figure out how to get it back.
    >
    > Like I said, before the recent update, everything was fine, but now I
    > can't load my localhost projects. I have changed absolutely nothing
    > recently(other than the update) and haven't had any other problems that
    > would make you think could have caused this. So, since the update is
    > the only recent system change, I'm kind of leaning toward it as the
    > cause. I have rebooted google times with no help. Has anybody seen
    > anything similar to this or have any ideas? Any help is definitely
    > appreciated!!
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Kurt

    Mark,

    Thanks very much for your reply! Yes, the HOSTS file did have
    127.0.0.1 localhost. That was the only list in the file other than the
    rem'd stuff.
    I'm not sure what I did, but the localhost all of a sudden started to
    be able to be viewed again. I did the Restart IIS on my machine in the
    Internet Services Manager, but I swear I did that previously and it
    didn't work. I really was banging my heada against the wall. Anyway,
    thanks again and I do appreciate your response!!

    Regards,

    Kurt

Cases Localhost Windows XP