Problems with frames in explorer.

Cozz

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2003
Hi,
I do hope someone will be able to put me and my long suffering hubby out of our misery!
I am a webdesigner and have been having problems with explorer.
When I check a site on the net that I have made, the side frames disappear (this is how I know I have been having trouble with explorer as I made them and know what they are supposed to look like. Since noticing this, I have come across other sites that also do not work properly in my PC). Now the weird thing is, if I look at the site via the file in my PC, they work fine. They also work on hubbys PC. One of the sites is <A HREF="http://www.21st-celticdesign.com" target="_new">here</A>.
I have emptied my cache, temp internet files, the SSL certificates cache, switched off my virus scanner changed the security settings from paranoid to medium to not a care in the world and it still isn't working properly!!!
I have also re-installed IE.
If anyone can think of anything besides formatting (which would take forever, especially with all my programs), I am open to any suggestions!
Thanks in advance.

Well maybe we can find this out together because I'm experiencing some of the same problems, I've gone as far as to even change out our cable modem and still have the problem, the freaky thing is I'm dual booting WinXP Pro on its own hardrive and Win98SE on its own hardrive, completely independent of each other and the same problem with both OP/SYS, I have the same problem with my wifes computer and the only thing they have in common is the Cable Modem and the Hub, which has been tested and swapped out, so right now I'm clueless as to what to do????????????????????????????????????????????

All my software has been updated, all the OP/SYS updates applied, newest Direct X, I've done everything I can possibly think of, OH by the way, Nice Website. The sideframes on the left were there when I visited the site, that doesn't mean they'll be there for me the next time I visit it. Even thought it might of been a virus, but virus scans say no. Sorry I have no direct help, but I'm hoping your solution, also helps me out. In the same boat. Ryan

<b><font color=purple>Listing your system specs, will greatly aid us, in being able to help you solve your problem.</font color=purple></b>

Cozz

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2003
OK, I wonder if it's a problem with the programs we have installed in our PC's as I think I had this problem in 98 as well.
At the moment, according to the program listing, I've got:
ACDSee 4.0
Adobe Download Manager
Avery Label Pro 3.0
BulletProof FTP
Businesscard Designer Plus 2000
Cool Edit Pro 2.0
Corel Xara
DivX Player 2.0
Grub Client
Kazaalite
Lavasoft Ad-Aware 6
Macromedia Dreamweaver 4
Macromedia Extension Manager
Macromedia Fireworks 4
Media Face II
Microsoft Office
Quicktime
Real Player
Shop Factory V5 Developer
Swish 2.0
The Font Thing
WinRar
WS_FTP
Xvid (don't know what it is or why I have it)
Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0
Adobe Image Ready 7.0
Adobe Photoshop 7.0
Cover Pro
and the assorted other windows programs.
I'm using AVG for a virus scanner and the router has a built in firewall.
Hubby is on the same router as well BTW, so it's not that.

Thanks for the compliment, I like the site as well, nice and calm, it's what the client ordered.
Let me know which programs you have. I do remember that I had a load of problems after installing Acrobat Reader when I had 98 as the OS. I've not got 98 on my PC, only XP pro, so that can't be the problem either as you have both.
Hmmmmmmmm, it is a mystery!

I just found my problem! I can't believe after all this time and all I've tried to solve it, and just this morning changed out the Cable Modem, and it turned out to be privacy settings set too high on the firewall, I'm running Zone Alarm Pro firewall and it came with a new feature, Privacy Settings which is nothing more than a advanced PopUP blocker. AdAware could be causing your problems, or a PopUp blocking program, shut them down and see what happens.

<b><font color=purple>Listing your system specs, will greatly aid us, in being able to help you solve your problem.</font color=purple></b>

vagabond

Distinguished
May 5, 2002
Hey Cozz,

Did you ever fix that problem? I have a friend with similar problems. Only her Internet Explorer can't open pop-ups or any dialog boxes when you visit a site.

She's running 98SE and doesn't have a firewall. She's not going through a router. She's directly connected to an ADSL modem. Only thing is she's got the AVG anti-virus program I installed for her. If you ever fix your problem please let me know. She's getting to the point where she wants me to format it but she'd lose a lot of customer data and I don't want to do that.

BTW, I visited the one site you linked and I saw the side frames. Rich in textures. Simple not to hard to load like THG's front page.
<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=23810" target="_new"><font color=blue>My System </font color=blue></A>
<b><font color=blue>VAGABOND<font color=blue></b>

<b><font color=blue>veni,vidi, and ended up in THGC<font color=blue></b>

Cozz

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2003
Congrats! No such luck my end though. I'll wait and see if anyone else can think of anyhting I might have forgotten.

Cozz

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2003
Hey Vagabond,
nope, I still haven't found an answer to my problem. When I had win 98SE, I found that I had a lot of similar problems when I had installed anything from Adobe for some reason.
Have you tried switching off the AVG?

alltaken

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2003
ok cozz

i too am a web designer, <A HREF="http://www.mud-puddle.co.nz" target="_new">http://www.mud-puddle.co.nz</A>

the trick is NOT TO USE FRAMES

they are
A) obsolete, they are dropping suport for them in the HTML standards
B) a pain in the butt for reasons highlighted in this thread
C) a pain in the butt for blind people
D) a pain in the butt for bookmarking
E) a pain in the butt for people with small screens
F) a pain in the butt for search engines

for the exact same effect as frames i sugest you use server side includes, e.g. SSI

i planed my website to use frames, however after researching them i realised that SSI can do everything frames do and do it better.

my current site is 100% SSI and <DIV> tags and it achives/ could achive a similar effect as frames.

the menu bar at the left of my site is a single html file, the title along the top is another html file while the current page is a third html file.

basicly the server assembles the pages together when requested and sends out a collage of html files just as frames do, however done by the server rather than the PC of the viewer.

it means i could change the entire look of the site by changing, the menu html file, the title html file, and the CSS file. but on the user end it looks like i would have needed to change every page.

anyway hope that gives you ideas (p.s. SSI are easier to do than frames by a LONG SHOT)

Alltaken

<A HREF="http://www.mud-puddle.co.nz" target="_new">http://www.mud-puddle.co.nz</A> its where its ll going on

vagabond

Distinguished
May 5, 2002
Hey Cozz,

Wouldn't make a difference because my 'Puter is also running 98SE with the AVG + Sygate's Personal Firewall and I have no problems opening pop-ups or dialog boxes in IE.

I have tried that approach to no success. I have no idea other than to reformat but like I said I don't want to lose her customer data. I could transfer the data but that doesn't mean she won't lose some of it eventually by the retransfer. That's the weird thing about bits and bytes. If I discover something, I'll post it here. Till then good luck... and thanks for the reply.

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=23810" target="_new"><font color=blue>My System </font color=blue></A>

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
i had a similar problem around the time all those worms were exploiting that rpc flaw. even though my comp never got infected it did get affected the same as other computers that also didnt get infected. things like pop ups not opening and frames not working. basicaly anything with a child window would not work right. i suspect that internet explorer treats frames like child app windows. i never found a solution. it was on my work computer and i have since left that job.

wpdclan.com cs game server - 69.12.5.119:27015

Cozz

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2003
Bummer, sorry I couldn't help more Vagabond. If I find out why this is happening, you'll be the second to hear :eek: . Good luck, Cozz

Cozz

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2003
Hi Alltaken,
shame your post really has nothing to do with our problem. Nice site. There are as many cons for SSI as there are for frames so.......
Anyway, I'm not going to get into a discussion on the points you have raised but thanks for taking the time to add your 2 cents.

Cozz

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2003
Hi jihiggs,
Thanks for the suggestion. I've scanned my PC and there is nothing suspicious going on. This might have been the reason it was playing up when I had 98 though.

Cozz

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2003
Believe it or not, we have a "Eureka" moment going on! I've found my solution (only after formatting). It turns out that my video card wasn't installed correctly. Of course it took formatting to realise the problem wasn't a program interfering with INE, but a driver! So I am now going to spend the rest of the night re-installing my programs etc.
So, try and change the drivers for your video card vagabond, it might do the trick.
Good luck
Cozz

vagabond

Distinguished
May 5, 2002
:smile: Glad you found the problem. :frown: I'm confused. How was your video card not installed correctly? Was the driver not complete or something?

Ok, I'll first try updating her video drivers. That might save me a lot of time.

Cozz

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2003
OK, you are so not going to believe this. It turns out that it wasn't the video card. The problem came back, so I now have a brand spanking new video card (a G-Force FX5200 to be precise) and still no joy. Turned off the sound card, nope. What was it................. now you are, yet again, not going to believe this........ it turns out it was my home page! Yup the page that internet explorer started with. I have been using www.bbc.co.uk for as long as I can remember. Any site I went to from a window opened with www.bbc.co.uk just didn't work. Hubby worked it out after he couldn't be bothered typing in the URL constantly and put a link to one of the sites I was having problems with on the desktop, so that it opened straight from there and not from a window opened with www.bbc.co.uk!!!!!!!! I tested it on his PC and sure enough, the same problem. So my advice: For starters, try changing your homepage. If this doesn't work, try using the drivers from windows XP and not from the disk you got with your video card.
Good luck Vagabond, hope this has helped.
Cozz

vagabond

Distinguished
May 5, 2002
Hey Cozz,

I'm glad that you got the problem finally solved. I'm still stressing over mine.

Just a note, what graphic card did you replace with the 5200? I am speculating so don't flame me if I'm wrong. I've heard BAD reviews on the 5200. I'm also making the assumption that it's the NON-ULTRA model. If so you made a bad deal with your upgrade. Can you return it? From what I've read even a GeForce 3 Ti 500 64MB DDR will smoke the 5200 non-ultra.

If you don't believe me just go into THG's Graphic Cards Forum and you'll see what I mean.

Anyways, I can't waste another 6 hours of trying to hunt this problem down. I'm going to format the harddisk much as I hate to do it. Glad you had better luck. Let me know what you decide on the GPU.

Cozz

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2003
Hey Vagabond,
thanks for the tip on the graphics card, I'll check out the forum for tips. I had a GeForce 2 MX400 64mb, so virtually everything is probably better! Will try and get something else then.
Shame you have to format, but on the bright side, you'll have a nice clean PC again. Just give the homepage thing a go first, it'll only take a few minutes.

vagabond

Distinguished
May 5, 2002
Hey Cozz,

I haven't formatted yet :wink: . I was just frustrated and tired last night.

Cozz

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2003
Hey Vagabond,
I'm not surprised mate. It was getting me down to the point of obsession! Hubby was ready to throw the thing out of the window. Now get to work, sort it out!

vagabond

Distinguished
May 5, 2002
Thanks Cozz :lol:

You sound like my old drill sergeant!

OK OK I'm on it!

I'll let you know if your recommendation worked.

Till then,