moving hard drive from old system to new system

any help
I am trying to avoid reinstalling XP after moving to new hardware.
I had SP2 installed and when I try to use the old XP CD SP0. some programs
were not working and Windows update was not working and alot of other
problems.

Thanks.
Freddie
5 answers Last reply
More about moving hard drive system system

    I think you need to slipstream your original version of windows with SP2 to
    create a new CD and then carry out a repair install.

    Neil

    "Freddie" <Freddie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > any help
    > I am trying to avoid reinstalling XP after moving to new hardware.
    > I had SP2 installed and when I try to use the old XP CD SP0. some programs
    > were not working and Windows update was not working and alot of other
    > problems.
    >
    > Thanks.
    > Freddie

    how do you create a new cd ?
    thanks
    Freedie

    "neil" wrote:

    > I think you need to slipstream your original version of windows with SP2 to
    > create a new CD and then carry out a repair install.
    >
    > Neil
    >
    > "Freddie" <Freddie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > any help
    > > I am trying to avoid reinstalling XP after moving to new hardware.
    > > I had SP2 installed and when I try to use the old XP CD SP0. some programs
    > > were not working and Windows update was not working and alot of other
    > > problems.
    > >
    > > Thanks.
    > > Freddie

    first you download SP2
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/winxpsp2.mspx#EABCAA
    then you follow Bart instructions
    http://www.nu2.nu/bootcd/
    look down the list for this line
    Bootable Windows XP installation CD-Rom (with SP1) [updated! dec 17, 2002]
    and substitute SP2 for SP1
    peterk

    the problem
    > how do you create a new cd ?
    > thanks
    > Freedie
    >
    > "neil" wrote:
    >
    >> I think you need to slipstream your original version of windows with SP2
    >> create a new CD and then carry out a repair install.
    >>
    >> Neil
    >>
    >> "Freddie" <Freddie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > any help
    >> > I am trying to avoid reinstalling XP after moving to new hardware.
    >> > I had SP2 installed and when I try to use the old XP CD SP0. some
    >> > programs
    >> > were not working and Windows update was not working and alot of other
    >> > problems.
    >> >
    >> > Thanks.
    >> > Freddie

    Hi there,
    Try this link for autostreamer

    http://www.simplyguides.net/guides/using_autostreamer/using_autostreamer.html

    all the best
    Neil

    "Freddie" <Freddie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > how do you create a new cd ?
    > thanks
    > Freedie
    >
    > "neil" wrote:
    >
    >> I think you need to slipstream your original version of windows with SP2
    >> create a new CD and then carry out a repair install.
    >>
    >> Neil
    >>
    >> "Freddie" <Freddie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > any help
    >> > I am trying to avoid reinstalling XP after moving to new hardware.
    >> > I had SP2 installed and when I try to use the old XP CD SP0. some
    >> > programs
    >> > were not working and Windows update was not working and alot of other
    >> > problems.
    >> >
    >> > Thanks.
    >> > Freddie

    Either I am confused you I don't get it.
    I am having alot of problem with this.
    Freddie

    "peterk" wrote:

    > first you download SP2
    > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/winxpsp2.mspx#EABCAA
    > then you follow Bart instructions
    > http://www.nu2.nu/bootcd/
    > look down the list for this line
    > Bootable Windows XP installation CD-Rom (with SP1) [updated! dec 17, 2002]
    > and substitute SP2 for SP1
    > peterk
    >
    > --
    > It's so much easier to suggest solutions when you don't know too much about
    > the problem
    > "Freddie" <Freddie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > how do you create a new cd ?
    > > thanks
    > > Freedie
    > >
    > > "neil" wrote:
    > >
    > >> I think you need to slipstream your original version of windows with SP2
    > >> create a new CD and then carry out a repair install.
    > >>
    > >> Neil
    > >>
    > >> "Freddie" <Freddie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Hard Drives Windows XP