My Notepad won't synchronise its clock with an Internet ti..

ChrisC

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002

My Notepad won't synchronise its clock with an Internet time server i.e.
time-nist.gov. Every time I press 'Update Now' it says 'An error occurred
getting the status of the last synchronisation. The RPC server is
unavailable.'

This notepad is a Dell Centrino and has a wireless network connection to my
main PC. That has no problems updating the time despite the fact that there
is a firewall in the Netgear box, and it runs ZoneAlarm Pro.

But the laptop won't connect with the RPC server nor will it synchronise
with the main PC. I have been through all of the suggested command prompts
on: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307897

When I type 'w32tm /resync' it still says the RPC server is unavailable
(even when the main PC is on and I have just updated the time on it)

When I type 'w32tm /config /syncfromflags:manual /manualpeerlist:peerlist'
and substitute 'time-nist.gov' for the word 'peerlist' it says: time-nist.gov
is unknown.

When I type 'net start w32time' it says the service name is invalid.

So basically no matter what I try it won't update the time because my
commands are either invalid or the RPC server isn't available when it seems
to be for the PC.

Although I have tried turning off the WinXP firewall on the notepad as a
'potential fix' it never shows that it is 'off'. So I don't know if its on or
off.

Neil

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Have you tried "time.windows.com" and have you checked that the RPC services
are running.

Neil