Windows XP Pro Raid 1 or 5 need license per hard drive

I heard from a friend who is a MCSE engineer. He told me that if I want
to build a computer system with RAID 1 or 5, I will need an OS license
per hard drive in a single workstation.

E.G with RAID 1 need 2 WinXP Pro licenses
if with RAID 5 it needs 3 WinXP Pro licenses.

I have consulted with microsoft website but cannot find any info.
Does anyone out there have any ideas or information on this issue.
Thank you in advance.
4 answers Last reply
More about windows raid license hard drive

    You only need one(1) Windows XP license for one (1) installation
    of Windows XP installed on one (1) computer. Installing a RAID
    only requires one (1) installation of the operating system.

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    In article <1122567074.345507.116700@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
    delllim@gmail.com says...
    > I heard from a friend who is a MCSE engineer. He told me that if I want
    > to build a computer system with RAID 1 or 5, I will need an OS license
    > per hard drive in a single workstation.
    >
    > E.G with RAID 1 need 2 WinXP Pro licenses
    > if with RAID 5 it needs 3 WinXP Pro licenses.
    >
    > I have consulted with microsoft website but cannot find any info.
    > Does anyone out there have any ideas or information on this issue.
    > Thank you in advance.

    Now that's funny. Microsoft has never licensed per drive, not ever. They
    do license per CPU for some software - like MS SQL, when used with a web
    server, requires a CPU license per CPU installed in the SQL server.

    Windows XP, and any version of the workstation OS, does not require a
    per-CPU license.

    --

    spam999free@rrohio.com
    remove 999 in order to email me

    I have verified with Microsoft Licensing Team, they have informed us
    that it is not EULA compliance for WinXP / Win2k to have a raid 1 / 5
    configuration to have only 1 end-user license (oem).

    In other words, it means that if I need to install microsoft built-in
    software RAID 1(2 HDD) with WinXP, I need 2 WinXP Pro end-user license.
    In hardware RAID 5 (3 HDD)configuration, I need 3 WinXP Pro license.

    I have not heard of it, although I have been a computer savy for years.
    I am just surprised to heard from Microsoft Licensing team that it is
    wrong to configure RAID in WINXP with 1 license.

    I have read through the Win2K EULA carefully and there is no mention of
    RAID in there. Is there anyone out there who have more knowledge than I
    am, pls try to help clear up matter. I expect it will affect a lot of
    OEM builders and self-build server.

    delllim@gmail.com wrote:
    > I have verified with Microsoft Licensing Team, they have informed us
    > that it is not EULA compliance for WinXP / Win2k to have a raid 1 / 5
    > configuration to have only 1 end-user license (oem).
    >
    > In other words, it means that if I need to install microsoft built-in
    > software RAID 1(2 HDD) with WinXP, I need 2 WinXP Pro end-user license.
    > In hardware RAID 5 (3 HDD)configuration, I need 3 WinXP Pro license.

    I've never heard anything so absurd! Are you sure that whomever you
    spoke with didn't misunderstand the question?

    > I have not heard of it, although I have been a computer savy for years.
    > I am just surprised to heard from Microsoft Licensing team that it is
    > wrong to configure RAID in WINXP with 1 license.

    The WinXP EULA makes it clear that you can install a single copy of the
    OS on a single computer. There is absolutely *NO* mention of RAID arrays.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

NAS / RAID Microsoft Hard Drives Windows XP