Windows XP Pro Raid 1 or 5 need license per hard drive

I heard from a friend who is a MCSE engineer. He told me that if I want
to build a computer system with RAID 1 or 5, I will need an OS license
per hard drive in a single workstation.

E.G with RAID 1 need 2 WinXP Pro licenses
if with RAID 5 it needs 3 WinXP Pro licenses.

I have consulted with microsoft website but cannot find any info.
Does anyone out there have any ideas or information on this issue.
Thank you in advance.

You only need one(1) Windows XP license for one (1) installation
of Windows XP installed on one (1) computer. Installing a RAID
only requires one (1) installation of the operating system.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

In article <1122567074.345507.116700@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
delllim@gmail.com says...
> I heard from a friend who is a MCSE engineer. He told me that if I want
> to build a computer system with RAID 1 or 5, I will need an OS license
> per hard drive in a single workstation.
>
> E.G with RAID 1 need 2 WinXP Pro licenses
> if with RAID 5 it needs 3 WinXP Pro licenses.
>
> I have consulted with microsoft website but cannot find any info.
> Does anyone out there have any ideas or information on this issue.
> Thank you in advance.

Now that's funny. Microsoft has never licensed per drive, not ever. They
do license per CPU for some software - like MS SQL, when used with a web
server, requires a CPU license per CPU installed in the SQL server.

Windows XP, and any version of the workstation OS, does not require a
per-CPU license.

--

spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me

I have verified with Microsoft Licensing Team, they have informed us
that it is not EULA compliance for WinXP / Win2k to have a raid 1 / 5
configuration to have only 1 end-user license (oem).

In other words, it means that if I need to install microsoft built-in
software RAID 1(2 HDD) with WinXP, I need 2 WinXP Pro end-user license.
In hardware RAID 5 (3 HDD)configuration, I need 3 WinXP Pro license.

I have not heard of it, although I have been a computer savy for years.
I am just surprised to heard from Microsoft Licensing team that it is
wrong to configure RAID in WINXP with 1 license.

I have read through the Win2K EULA carefully and there is no mention of
RAID in there. Is there anyone out there who have more knowledge than I
am, pls try to help clear up matter. I expect it will affect a lot of
OEM builders and self-build server.

delllim@gmail.com wrote:
> I have verified with Microsoft Licensing Team, they have informed us
> that it is not EULA compliance for WinXP / Win2k to have a raid 1 / 5
> configuration to have only 1 end-user license (oem).
>
> In other words, it means that if I need to install microsoft built-in
> software RAID 1(2 HDD) with WinXP, I need 2 WinXP Pro end-user license.
> In hardware RAID 5 (3 HDD)configuration, I need 3 WinXP Pro license.

I've never heard anything so absurd! Are you sure that whomever you
spoke with didn't misunderstand the question?

> I have not heard of it, although I have been a computer savy for years.
> I am just surprised to heard from Microsoft Licensing team that it is
> wrong to configure RAID in WINXP with 1 license.

The WinXP EULA makes it clear that you can install a single copy of the
OS on a single computer. There is absolutely *NO* mention of RAID arrays.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm