vsync has a mind of it's own

Esso

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2001
Sup guys,

The problem:
I'm having some problems keeping vsync OFF (or in the "always off" position). I'll go and set it to be 'always off' and then usually it will stay that way during a single game session; but after I quit and then start a new gaming session, or perhaps after a few sessions later, my frame rate cuts in half and I see that vsync has magically turned itself back on.

The low down:
I'm only playing two or three games right now and the only one that seems to be resetting the vsync settings is halflife... (although it does not reset every time, it's more like every 2nd-3rd time). My comp. is uber stable right now, and the settings are not being reset due to crashes of any kind. I've even rebooting right after setting vsync to off so that it would keep the settings, but eventually it would reset.

Details:
The only major changes to my system that I can think of are new vid drivers and sp1.
I'm running winXP pro (sp1) with an asus g3 ti500 (lastest asus drivers, not latest dets).

Anyone else having these problems? with similar hardware/software... I'm guessing it's either a sp1 bug or an asus driver bug (hope fully not asus because i like their OSDs)

tnx for any help/info!