CD-RW/DVD Drive only accepts DVDs, plus I have a corrupt w..

I have a Dell Inspiron 1150, and a few months ago I've noticed that my
dvd room drive would only recognize DVDs and not cd-roms or music cds,
or software. I naively thought it would be a problem that would one day
take care of itself.

Then, just last month, I got that dreaded error message...

"Windows could not start because the following file is missing or
corrupt:
\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM"

It then said I could repair this by using the original Setup CD-ROM.
Two problems, I've misplaced it in my recent moving shuffle AND,
there's that whole fiasco with my comp not recognizing CDs.

My uncle copied a "Windows Repair" DVD and managed to fix it, or so I
thought. A week later, the whole missing/corrupt system thing started
up again. My uncle became busy with work, so I took things into my own
hands.
He lent us a Windows XP setup cd that he had burned. Using the dvd
burner at work I extracted the setup.exe file and copied it onto a
DVD-RW, knowing it would be the only thing my laptop would read.

I managed to boot up the DVD, but then got a DOS screen. A DR-DOS
screen to be exact. It says, "Using DPMS DOS protected mode services",
lists cache size and current options:

"/MLX Program is loaded into conventional and XMS memory using DPMS
/BL=16 Lookahead buffer is in conventional memory, size is in KB
/LEND=ON Lend memory to other applications - 6646 KB available
/DELAY=OFF Write delay is disabled, caching is write-through"

Then it gives me a DR-DOS prompt, like this: [DR-DOS] A:/>

And... I have NO idea what to do.

I just want to repair the damn file and get on with it. I know I'm
doing something wrong, but I have no idea what. ANY help at all would
be totally appreciated. Thanks in advance.

--
aidendark
2 answers Last reply

    cd C:\windows\system32\config [enter]
    ren system system.old [enter]
    ren system.alt systemalt.old [enter]
    copy c:\windows\repair\system [enter]
    copy c:\windows\repair\regback\system [enter]
    exit

    I not sure if this will work from DOS but give it a try.
    The 1st command puts you in the subdirectory of XP....system32....config.
    the 2nd and 3rd renames the broken files
    the 4th and 5th copies the backed up files to replace the broken files
    good luck
    peterk

    the problem
    "aidendark" <aidendark.1sw4ds@pcbanter.net> wrote in message

    > I have a Dell Inspiron 1150, and a few months ago I've noticed that my
    > dvd room drive would only recognize DVDs and not cd-roms or music cds,
    > or software. I naively thought it would be a problem that would one day
    > take care of itself.
    >
    > Then, just last month, I got that dreaded error message...
    >
    > "Windows could not start because the following file is missing or
    > corrupt:
    > \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM"
    >
    > It then said I could repair this by using the original Setup CD-ROM.
    > Two problems, I've misplaced it in my recent moving shuffle AND,
    > there's that whole fiasco with my comp not recognizing CDs.
    >
    > My uncle copied a "Windows Repair" DVD and managed to fix it, or so I
    > thought. A week later, the whole missing/corrupt system thing started
    > up again. My uncle became busy with work, so I took things into my own
    > hands.
    > He lent us a Windows XP setup cd that he had burned. Using the dvd
    > burner at work I extracted the setup.exe file and copied it onto a
    > DVD-RW, knowing it would be the only thing my laptop would read.
    >
    > I managed to boot up the DVD, but then got a DOS screen. A DR-DOS
    > screen to be exact. It says, "Using DPMS DOS protected mode services",
    > lists cache size and current options:
    >
    > "/MLX Program is loaded into conventional and XMS memory using DPMS
    > /BL=16 Lookahead buffer is in conventional memory, size is in KB
    > /LEND=ON Lend memory to other applications - 6646 KB available
    > /DELAY=OFF Write delay is disabled, caching is write-through"
    >
    > Then it gives me a DR-DOS prompt, like this: [DR-DOS] A:/>
    >
    > And... I have NO idea what to do.
    >
    > I just want to repair the damn file and get on with it. I know I'm
    > doing something wrong, but I have no idea what. ANY help at all would
    > be totally appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    >

    > --
    > aidendark

    Hello,
    You need to be able to boot from the XP CD or a disk that will allow you to
    access the hard drive and carry out these instructions

    How to recover from a corrupted registry that prevents Windows XP from
    starting
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307545

    If your laptop will not boot from a CD then you have faulty hardware that
    needs replacing.

    best of luck
    Neil
    "aidendark" <aidendark.1sw4ds@pcbanter.net> wrote in message

    > I have a Dell Inspiron 1150, and a few months ago I've noticed that my
    > dvd room drive would only recognize DVDs and not cd-roms or music cds,
    > or software. I naively thought it would be a problem that would one day
    > take care of itself.
    >
    > Then, just last month, I got that dreaded error message...
    >
    > "Windows could not start because the following file is missing or
    > corrupt:
    > \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM"
    >
    > It then said I could repair this by using the original Setup CD-ROM.
    > Two problems, I've misplaced it in my recent moving shuffle AND,
    > there's that whole fiasco with my comp not recognizing CDs.
    >
    > My uncle copied a "Windows Repair" DVD and managed to fix it, or so I
    > thought. A week later, the whole missing/corrupt system thing started
    > up again. My uncle became busy with work, so I took things into my own
    > hands.
    > He lent us a Windows XP setup cd that he had burned. Using the dvd
    > burner at work I extracted the setup.exe file and copied it onto a
    > DVD-RW, knowing it would be the only thing my laptop would read.
    >
    > I managed to boot up the DVD, but then got a DOS screen. A DR-DOS
    > screen to be exact. It says, "Using DPMS DOS protected mode services",
    > lists cache size and current options:
    >
    > "/MLX Program is loaded into conventional and XMS memory using DPMS
    > /BL=16 Lookahead buffer is in conventional memory, size is in KB
    > /LEND=ON Lend memory to other applications - 6646 KB available
    > /DELAY=OFF Write delay is disabled, caching is write-through"
    >
    > Then it gives me a DR-DOS prompt, like this: [DR-DOS] A:/>
    >
    > And... I have NO idea what to do.
    >
    > I just want to repair the damn file and get on with it. I know I'm
    > doing something wrong, but I have no idea what. ANY help at all would
    > be totally appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    >

    > --
    > aidendark

CD-Rom DVD Drives Windows XP