Help with formatting my hard disc/drive please!

Hi, I am running my pc on WinXp Home edition upgrade and my pc is beginning
to run slowly again and I wanted to know how to format the hard drive. After
formatting the hard drive will I have to install windows 98 again, then
windows Xp on top of it. I have already made a backup of everything that's
important from the pc.

XP Clean Install instructions:

Regards,
Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
http://bertk.mvps.org

richardbryn wrote:
> Hi, I am running my pc on WinXp Home edition upgrade and
> my pc is beginning to run slowly again and I wanted to
> know how to format the hard drive. After formatting the
> hard drive will I have to install windows 98 again, then
> windows Xp on top of it. I have already made a backup of
> everything that's important from the pc.

Sounds like you want to just boot from xp cd and select the full format and
install it'll qualify itself

"richardbryn" <richardbryn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi, I am running my pc on WinXp Home edition upgrade and my pc is
> beginning
> to run slowly again and I wanted to know how to format the hard drive.
> After
> formatting the hard drive will I have to install windows 98 again, then
> windows Xp on top of it. I have already made a backup of everything that's
> important from the pc.

keep in mind if you have current updates and used the current updated file
and transfer wiz you probably need to go do updates before you can import
what you saved

"richardbryn" <richardbryn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi, I am running my pc on WinXp Home edition upgrade and my pc is
> beginning
> to run slowly again and I wanted to know how to format the hard drive.
> After
> formatting the hard drive will I have to install windows 98 again, then
> windows Xp on top of it. I have already made a backup of everything that's
> important from the pc.

enkidu

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2002

richardbryn wrote:

> Hi, I am running my pc on WinXp Home edition upgrade
> and my pc is beginning to run slowly again and I
> wanted to know how to format the hard drive. After
> formatting the hard drive will I have to install
> windows 98 again, then windows Xp on top of it. I
> have already made a backup of everything that's
> important from the pc.

As I recall, an XP update disk will install fine, but at
some stage in the process it will ask for the original
media, that is the Win98 CD. Put that in, it verifies, then
asks for the XP disk back again.

In any case, you have nothing to lose by trying the XP CD
first. If it doesn't work, all you will have wasted is time!

Cheers,

Cliff