I've just got a new PC and installed WinXP pro (fully updated), Office 2003
(fully updated) and Norton internet security 2005 (fully updated). The
problem I have is programs hanging and then not being able to end them via
task manager. When something does hang it prevents me from shuting down (I
have to pull the power cable). The main prog that hangs at the moment is the
file and setting transfer wizard (settings onto new machine via a second hard
drive), it just hangs once I click next after selecting the folder. I seem
to be unable to close any hung apps forcefully or not and I is really doing
my head in.

Hope someone can help.

Cheers,

Sweeps.

Jerry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Since the last set of 3 XP updates, I have seen a lot more hang-ups /
program lockups also. Before those updates, I rarely if ever locked up
anything. Now I get them regularly. They seem to be random in nature, with
the most prominate being when I click on a link in OE (this locks up OE
about 50% of the time). I was wondering if the updates are related to this
as nothing else has changed with the system. No new programs have been
installed and running antivirus and spyware checks do NOT show anything.
Just curious
"Sweeps" <Sweeps@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I've just got a new PC and installed WinXP pro (fully updated), Office
> 2003
> (fully updated) and Norton internet security 2005 (fully updated). The
> problem I have is programs hanging and then not being able to end them via
> task manager. When something does hang it prevents me from shuting down (I
> have to pull the power cable). The main prog that hangs at the moment is
> the
> file and setting transfer wizard (settings onto new machine via a second
> hard
> drive), it just hangs once I click next after selecting the folder. I
> seem
> to be unable to close any hung apps forcefully or not and I is really
> doing
> my head in.
>
> Hope someone can help.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Sweeps.

I unistalled all of my Norton 2005 products and everything was working as
should be. I then reverted back to Norton internet security 2004 (includes
antivirus) and it was still ok. My conclusion: The 2005 versions of the
Norton software is prone to coruption or has some kind of blocking rule that
locks up certain running proceses.

Hope this helps anyone that has a simular problems.