Closed

Prob. trying to run XP " Repair"

I've never had a problem running "Repair" with XP installation disk on my
old computer but on my month old Dell I'm running into a problem... On my
old computer I would just type "R" and it would go into the repair mode..
Now with my month old Dell 8400with XP Home SP2 included I run the repair as
I previously did I press "R" I get a:

"Microsoft Recovery Console "Typr Exit to quit Recovery Console.
1:C:\Windows
Which Windows installation would you like to log onto
(To cancel, Press ENTER)"
I found typing 1 and enter brings me to:
"Type Admin. Password"
I have no password set so I just hit enter and I get:
"C:\Windows>"

Below is the procedure I usually used to repair on my old computer..
"Boot with the Windows XP CD and at the Setup Screen press the Enter Key

You will be taken to the Windows XP Licensing Agreement. After reading the
agreement press F8 to proceed

The next screen gives you the option to do a fresh (clean) install or to
"Repair the selected Windows XP installation." Press "R"

Windows XP will copy the necessary files to your Hard Drive to begin the
installation and will then reboot. You will see the message that informs
you to "Press any key to boot the CD". Do not press any keys this time just
wait a few seconds and the Windows Startup Screen will be displayed.
Following this you will be greeted by the Windows XP Setup Screens.
9 answers Last reply
More about prob repair

    "PaulT" <Yahoo@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > I've never had a problem running "Repair" with XP installation disk on my
    > old computer but on my month old Dell I'm running into a problem... On my
    > old computer I would just type "R" and it would go into the repair mode..
    > Now with my month old Dell 8400with XP Home SP2 included I run the repair
    > as I previously did I press "R" I get a:
    >
    > "Microsoft Recovery Console "Typr Exit to quit Recovery Console.
    > 1:C:\Windows
    > Which Windows installation would you like to log onto
    > (To cancel, Press ENTER)"
    > I found typing 1 and enter brings me to:
    > "Type Admin. Password"
    > I have no password set so I just hit enter and I get:
    > "C:\Windows>"
    >
    > Below is the procedure I usually used to repair on my old computer..
    > "Boot with the Windows XP CD and at the Setup Screen press the Enter Key
    >
    > You will be taken to the Windows XP Licensing Agreement. After reading the
    > agreement press F8 to proceed
    >

    > The next screen gives you the option to do a fresh (clean) install or to
    > "Repair the selected Windows XP installation." Press "R"
    >
    > Windows XP will copy the necessary files to your Hard Drive to begin the
    > installation and will then reboot. You will see the message that informs
    > you to "Press any key to boot the CD". Do not press any keys this time
    > just
    > wait a few seconds and the Windows Startup Screen will be displayed.
    > Following this you will be greeted by the Windows XP Setup Screens.

    You're selecting "Recovery Console - Repair" too early in the process. Be
    patient and continue to press "enter/proceed" as if you planned to perform a
    clean install.

    You eventually reach a 4th or 5th menu which allows you the true "repair"
    option w/o the recovery console.

    I suspect this is what you're seeing.

    hth

    Stew

    SLewis your on the money,,,, my bad.. thank you....

    > SLewis your on the money,,,, my bad.. thank you....

    How the heck do you think I knew? Glad to help......

    Stew

    On Thu, 19 May 2005, PaulT wrote:

    > SLewis your on the money,,,, my bad.. thank you....

    I dunno what this group would do without the extremely helpful S. Lewis
    :).

    Marilyn B.

    On Thu, 19 May 2005 13:57:10 -0500, "S.Lewis"
    <stew1960@cover.bellsouth.net> wrote:

    >"PaulT" <Yahoo@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> I've never had a problem running "Repair" with XP installation disk on my
    >> old computer but on my month old Dell I'm running into a problem... On my
    >> old computer I would just type "R" and it would go into the repair mode..
    >> Now with my month old Dell 8400with XP Home SP2 included I run the repair
    >> as I previously did I press "R" I get a:
    >>
    >> "Microsoft Recovery Console "Typr Exit to quit Recovery Console.
    >> 1:C:\Windows
    >> Which Windows installation would you like to log onto
    >> (To cancel, Press ENTER)"
    >> I found typing 1 and enter brings me to:
    >> "Type Admin. Password"
    >> I have no password set so I just hit enter and I get:
    >> "C:\Windows>"
    >>
    >> Below is the procedure I usually used to repair on my old computer..
    >> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    >> "Boot with the Windows XP CD and at the Setup Screen press the Enter Key
    >>
    >> You will be taken to the Windows XP Licensing Agreement. After reading the
    >> agreement press F8 to proceed
    >>

    >> The next screen gives you the option to do a fresh (clean) install or to
    >> "Repair the selected Windows XP installation." Press "R"
    >>
    >> Windows XP will copy the necessary files to your Hard Drive to begin the
    >> installation and will then reboot. You will see the message that informs
    >> you to "Press any key to boot the CD". Do not press any keys this time
    >> just
    >> wait a few seconds and the Windows Startup Screen will be displayed.
    >> Following this you will be greeted by the Windows XP Setup Screens.
    >>

    >You're selecting "Recovery Console - Repair" too early in the process. Be
    >patient and continue to press "enter/proceed" as if you planned to perform a
    >clean install.
    >
    >You eventually reach a 4th or 5th menu which allows you the true "repair"
    >option w/o the recovery console.
    >
    >I suspect this is what you're seeing.
    >
    >hth
    >

    >Stew

    I'd like to do a repair install on a Dell 4500. The Windows XP Home
    CD that came with the pc is pre-SP1. I also have XP Home w/SP2 that
    came with an 8400. Which CD should I use? If I use the old one, will
    I need to reapply SP2, etc?
    Thanks.

    "wishbone" <please@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 19 May 2005 13:57:10 -0500, "S.Lewis"
    > <stew1960@cover.bellsouth.net> wrote:
    >

    >>"PaulT" <Yahoo@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >>> I've never had a problem running "Repair" with XP installation disk on
    >>> my
    >>> old computer but on my month old Dell I'm running into a problem... On
    >>> my
    >>> old computer I would just type "R" and it would go into the repair
    >>> mode..
    >>> Now with my month old Dell 8400with XP Home SP2 included I run the
    >>> repair
    >>> as I previously did I press "R" I get a:
    >>>
    >>> "Microsoft Recovery Console "Typr Exit to quit Recovery Console.
    >>> 1:C:\Windows
    >>> Which Windows installation would you like to log onto
    >>> (To cancel, Press ENTER)"
    >>> I found typing 1 and enter brings me to:
    >>> "Type Admin. Password"
    >>> I have no password set so I just hit enter and I get:
    >>> "C:\Windows>"
    >>>
    >>> Below is the procedure I usually used to repair on my old computer..
    >>> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    >>> "Boot with the Windows XP CD and at the Setup Screen press the Enter Key
    >>>
    >>> You will be taken to the Windows XP Licensing Agreement. After reading
    >>> the
    >>> agreement press F8 to proceed
    >>>

    >>> The next screen gives you the option to do a fresh (clean) install or to
    >>> "Repair the selected Windows XP installation." Press "R"
    >>>
    >>> Windows XP will copy the necessary files to your Hard Drive to begin the
    >>> installation and will then reboot. You will see the message that
    >>> informs
    >>> you to "Press any key to boot the CD". Do not press any keys this time
    >>> just
    >>> wait a few seconds and the Windows Startup Screen will be displayed.
    >>> Following this you will be greeted by the Windows XP Setup Screens.
    >>>

    >>You're selecting "Recovery Console - Repair" too early in the process. Be
    >>patient and continue to press "enter/proceed" as if you planned to perform
    >>clean install.
    >>
    >>You eventually reach a 4th or 5th menu which allows you the true "repair"
    >>option w/o the recovery console.
    >>
    >>I suspect this is what you're seeing.
    >>
    >>hth
    >>

    >>Stew
    >>

    > I'd like to do a repair install on a Dell 4500. The Windows XP Home
    > CD that came with the pc is pre-SP1. I also have XP Home w/SP2 that
    > came with an 8400. Which CD should I use? If I use the old one, will
    > I need to reapply SP2, etc?
    > Thanks.

    Yes, you will. Use the SP2 disc, though you'll still have some (but many
    less) critical updates to bring down.

    Stew
  7. ive got the same issue but not getting the result as intructions here mentioned unless not understanding.
    First im using a new win xp but its a student edition is that a problem at all?

    i walked into a blue screen this morning

    i restarted and hads to press eigther f2 for setup which is just changing bios config or stuff or f12 to get to boot options

    i went to ide cd rom
    needed to choose how to start
    so none of them worked like safe mode or anything

    when ran from cd it went to windows set up but following directions from here to avoid going to the "which windows you want to logon to then type password which i dont have i just went to windows setup screen from cd and went to r for repair and nothing happens -if i hit enter from the directions i think i would be telling it to load windows but either way nothing happen is it becuase i used a student edition?

    Ive never gotten to a windows agreement page how do i get there?
    lance
  8. This is a 5 year old thread. If you want more help, please start your own thread.

    Here's a step by step guide to doing a repair install.
    http://pcsupport.about.com/od/operatingsystems/ss/instxprepair1.htm
  9. This topic has been closed by Aford10

Dell Recovery Console Windows XP Computers