Anyone with a Linksys WAG54G and latest firmware?

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless,uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband (More info?)

By latest I mean 1.01.7 ...

When I bought my WAG54G I had firmware 1.01.5 - I may be going back to it if
someone can confirm what I've seen with the latest firmware...

Basically I had setup port forwarding to allow traffic through (TCP) on a
particular port to a particular IP address in my internal network.

I set this up as per normal from the router's web interface and I can
confirm that sites like GRC.COM do show that this particular port is open
but when I try to use the application I need going through that port
(terminal services) it doesn't work. I guess if a port is open I should also
be able to use simple things like telnet to confirm if its working or not?
When I try telnet through this particular port it also doesn't work.

The fact is it used to work and I can't remember if it stopped working after
firmware 1.01.7 was put on.

I also use things like bittorrent and this doesn't seem to have stopped
working although how can I tell with bittorrent? (my rates seem ok and that
I thought was increased if you open up the relevant ports ie. 6881-6889)

Andy
3 answers Last reply
More about anyone linksys wag54g latest firmware
  1. Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless,uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband (More info?)

    Me too, exactly the same port forwarding behaviour with 1.01.7.
    Working fine again when reverting back to 1.01.5

    There is also a report here:
    http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,9536880~mode=flat in the post
    from 2004-05-11

    "Andy Pandy" <andrew@NOSPAMPLEASEthefunhouse.plus.com> wrote in message news:<iINoc.3053$wI4.285385@wards.force9.net>...
    > By latest I mean 1.01.7 ...
    >
    > When I bought my WAG54G I had firmware 1.01.5 - I may be going back to it if
    > someone can confirm what I've seen with the latest firmware...
    >
    > Basically I had setup port forwarding to allow traffic through (TCP) on a
    > particular port to a particular IP address in my internal network.
    >
    > I set this up as per normal from the router's web interface and I can
    > confirm that sites like GRC.COM do show that this particular port is open
    > but when I try to use the application I need going through that port
    > (terminal services) it doesn't work. I guess if a port is open I should also
    > be able to use simple things like telnet to confirm if its working or not?
    > When I try telnet through this particular port it also doesn't work.
    >
    > The fact is it used to work and I can't remember if it stopped working after
    > firmware 1.01.7 was put on.
    >
    > I also use things like bittorrent and this doesn't seem to have stopped
    > working although how can I tell with bittorrent? (my rates seem ok and that
    > I thought was increased if you open up the relevant ports ie. 6881-6889)
    >
    > Andy
  2. Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless,uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband (More info?)

    I have a WAG54G which came with a later firmware than was available for
    download (or i misunderstood the numbering) and I have a couple of
    issues with trying to run it with NAT turned off (ie as a proper router
    and not a NAT translator) msn would still use uPNP to forward ports from
    the router even tho I have global IP addresses on the LAN.
    Not at home at the moment, so can't tell you the version number of the
    firmware I use. Will try to let you know tho.
    George

    "Kagifret" <kagifret@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Me too, exactly the same port forwarding behaviour with 1.01.7.
    > Working fine again when reverting back to 1.01.5
    >
    > There is also a report here:
    > http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,9536880~mode=flat in the post
    > from 2004-05-11
    >

    > "Andy Pandy" <andrew@NOSPAMPLEASEthefunhouse.plus.com> wrote in
    message news:<iINoc.3053$wI4.285385@wards.force9.net>...
    > > By latest I mean 1.01.7 ...
    > >
    > > When I bought my WAG54G I had firmware 1.01.5 - I may be going back
    to it if
    > > someone can confirm what I've seen with the latest firmware...
    > >
    > > Basically I had setup port forwarding to allow traffic through (TCP)
    on a
    > > particular port to a particular IP address in my internal network.
    > >
    > > I set this up as per normal from the router's web interface and I
    can
    > > confirm that sites like GRC.COM do show that this particular port is
    open
    > > but when I try to use the application I need going through that port
    > > (terminal services) it doesn't work. I guess if a port is open I
    should also
    > > be able to use simple things like telnet to confirm if its working
    or not?
    > > When I try telnet through this particular port it also doesn't work.
    > >
    > > The fact is it used to work and I can't remember if it stopped
    working after
    > > firmware 1.01.7 was put on.
    > >
    > > I also use things like bittorrent and this doesn't seem to have
    stopped
    > > working although how can I tell with bittorrent? (my rates seem ok
    and that
    > > I thought was increased if you open up the relevant ports ie.
    6881-6889)

    > > Andy
  3. Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless,uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband (More info?)

    Are you sure you already have disabled UPNP on the WAG54G ? I believe
    MSN messenger will only make use of UPNP if it finds a UPNP capable
    device on the local network.
    Probably this could also be WinXP or Windows 2003 box running the UPNP
    service.

    "THe NuTTeR" <websignup@nutter426.f2s.com> wrote in message news:<2gmfd4F4e2fmU1@uni-berlin.de>...
    > msn would still use uPNP to forward ports from
    > the router even tho I have global IP addresses on the LAN.
    > Not at home at the moment, so can't tell you the version number of the
    > firmware I use. Will try to let you know tho.
    > George

Firmware Wireless Networking