Voodoo3 16MB or TNT2 M64 32mb?

G

I'm looking for an entry level AGP card with tv output to use with the computer I'm buidling for my home entertainment center. I won't be pushing it over 800x600 EVER. I would like to run Quake3 and UT and get 40+ fps. What do you recommend?

My system:

AMD Duron 750Mhz
MSI microatx mobo
Ensoniq AudioPci
?? AGP video
256MB PC133
Pioneer DVD-ROM
3.5 floppy
4.3GB WD hard drive
Win98 SE
Wireless black keyboard with integrated mouse
Microatx black cube case (looks like a subwoofer)
120w power supply

G

Personally, I would upgrade my Powersupply to 300Watt, and then I would go for a TNT 2 card. Or perhaps even a GeForce.

Derek

G

Can you get a Microatx power supply at 300 watts?
Of the two cards which is better?

G

To be honest, I'm not sure, however I do know that the AMD processors are a little more power hungry than the Intel ones are, and when you get into adding a 3d card, they can get tempermental if there isn't enough juice. The minimum you should have would be 250Watt.

And I feel the TNT card is a better card, but that's just my personal opinion. The 3DFX cards are good, but I found a better picture with the TNT ones.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by slyguy on 05/31/01 04:49 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

The real TNT2 cards are better .But not the M64 version, which is limited to a 64 bit data path to memory not 128 as with the regular TNT2 cards. Don't make the mistake of buying the M64 chip. I bought one to replace my Banshee thinking OK now lets see what we can do. I took it out and put the Banshee back in. Big disappointment.

I aint signing nothing!!!

G

the tnt cards have a higher dependancy on the cpu, or putting it better they benefit from having the more powerful cpu so matching it with your duron will do better than the voodoo.

G

oh god why is it always the same question? Voodoo3 Or TNT2.....Oh and don't worry which card u get, they'll easily run higher than 40+ frames...well UT will run slower due too the fact that it's limited too the cpu and not video card.Actually if it was between a m64 and a voodoo3 I would pick a voodoo3, the m64 doesnt cut it.

dhlucke

Polypheme
Why are you even considering spending money on Voodoo? They went out of business. You can't get any new drivers for the card anymore. For a while there was a company called x3dfx that was releasing drivers, but they are currently negotiating terms. See the x3dfx.com website.

I wouldn't EVER recommend buying the voodoo3 card. It's not that the card is bad. In fact it's great, and I have one, but buying a card with no support is not a good idea.

Let's say you want to play Sacrafice: The voodoo 1.07 drivers won't work with it. The x3dfx drivers will, but you can't get them right now. Catch 22 though since with those drivers games like Alice and Tribes2 won't run. It really is a pain.

However, if all you want the card for EVER is Q3 and UT, then go ahead and get it. I recommend it for those games at least on a low end at 800x600. The V3 3000 will get you right around 44 fps in UT, but if there is heavy action watch the frame rate drop down into the high 20's.

Consider at least spending more on a Radeon LE. I realize it's twice as much, but I despise having a card with no support. Granted though, you might not need it.

<font color=red>Amd or Intel? Who cares?? Not me...</font color=red>

Negaverse23

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Both video cards suck but if you really have to choose one of these two cards, get the M64 because Voodoo is no longer supported.

=
<font color=green><i>Will code HTML for food.</i></font color=green>

Negaverse23

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
There is only 115 or 220 Volt power supplies out there. If your talking about Watts, then you should be able to find the infromation on a sticker located on the power supply.

=
<font color=green><i>Will code HTML for food.</i></font color=green>

G

Don't ever buy the tnt2 m64, it's a [-peep-] up card, it's nothing, you can compare between the voodoo3 and the tnt2 (not the m64, or venta).
In pure speed the voodoo3 is fastest than the tnt2, but in picture quality the tnt2 is a way better then the voodoo3, so you have to to take the tnt2 or the ultra, good performance and exelent graphics, and updated drivers till now, so go for it.

G

Erm, buy neither. You can buy a Geforce MX card from an auction for about £40, or cheaper if in america. I have a m64, its awful, got me 500 points on 3dmark 2001!