XP programs won't run

Help, I have a serious problem loading Windows XP.

When my wife started up her pc, she noticed that the program icons on
the desktop had all been replaced by a type used by her 'Webshots'
program (from webshots.com).
Consequently, clicking on any icon brings up the 'Webshots' window.

There are absolutely no other programs that will run, I've tried
everything, even the 'Restore' program won't run.

Tried starting in Safe Mode, still the same. Can't run any Windows
applications (regedit wouldn't run).
Has the registry been corrupted? do I have any options other than
reinstalling XP.
If I do reinstall, how easy is it to re-register with Microsoft
(software is legit).
:confused:

--
merchantman
1 answer Last reply

    Hi,

    Try these suggestion in order.

    If you can boot into "Safe Mode with Command Prompt" and execute the following:

    %systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

    Run System Restore from the command prompt:
    1. Restart your computer, and then press F8 during the initial startup to start your
    computer in Safe Mode with a command prompt.
    2. Log on to your computer with an administrator account or with an account that has
    administrator credentials.
    3. Type the following command at a command prompt, and then press ENTER:
    %systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe
    4. Follow the instructions that appear on the screen to restore your computer to an
    earlier state.

    How to start your computer by using the Last Known Good Configuration feature in Windows
    XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307852#3

    How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install by Michael Stevens MS-MVP:

    Regards,
    Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
    http://bertk.mvps.org

    merchantman wrote:
    > Help, I have a serious problem loading Windows XP.
    >
    > When my wife started up her pc, she noticed that the
    > program icons on the desktop had all been replaced by a
    > type used by her 'Webshots' program (from webshots.com).
    > Consequently, clicking on any icon brings up the
    > 'Webshots' window.
    >
    > There are absolutely no other programs that will run,
    > I've tried everything, even the 'Restore' program won't
    > run.
    >
    > Tried starting in Safe Mode, still the same. Can't run
    > any Windows applications (regedit wouldn't run).
    > Has the registry been corrupted? do I have any options
    > other than reinstalling XP.
    > If I do reinstall, how easy is it to re-register with
    > Microsoft (software is legit).
    >> confused:

Windows XP