Closed

Windows XP crash, salvage attempt being hindered by "acces..

July 28, 2005 10:04:23 PM

Hi all,

I had a system crash after installing drivers for a d-link wireless
card (PCI). In the system that the crash occured on I had 2 Harddrives:
one Maxtor SATA 200GB, and one Maxtor IDE 160GB. I used the 200GB for
windows and my documents, and I used the 160GB for PS2 game backup
ISO's and media files. The crash involved a BSOD when trying to load
windows, and it reset many of my BIOS settings. It also corrupted my
200GB hard drive, but did'nt harm the 160GB one. I have since changed
back the BIOS settings, and I installed XP onto the 160GB hard drive,
in order to salvage the damaged one. at first the damaged one wouldnt
open saying "Drive G is corrupt and unreadable". I then ran chkdsk and
it fixed tons of errors so that I can now browse the HDD, but it still
wont boot windows off of it, giving me another BSOD. What I really need
is the files in the "My Documents" folder on my 200GB HDD, the one that
was corrupted and repaired. HERE IS THE PROBLEM: I had the folder made
private on my old windows installation, and not password protected.
when I try to get in now I get "access denied" errors because of that.
I NEED to get in there in order to take the important stuff out and put
it on the 160GB hard drive. afterwards I will go about trying to fix the
windows installation on that drive. I appreciate all of your help ahead
of time, but I do ask one thing: please don't give me help with the
crash, restoring windows, or those issues, I will deal with them
myself, all I need is a way to get into a private folder on one hard
drive that doesnt have windows, from another hard drive that does.
Thanks for reading, and if anything is unclear please let me know.
Thanks.

--
techking
Anonymous

HOW TO Take Ownership of a File or Folder in Windows XP: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;Q308421

--
Mark L. Ferguson
"techking" <techking.1swl1n@pcbanter.net> wrote in message news:techking.1swl1n@pcbanter.net...

> Hi all,
>
> I had a system crash after installing drivers for a d-link wireless
> card (PCI). In the system that the crash occured on I had 2 Harddrives:
> one Maxtor SATA 200GB, and one Maxtor IDE 160GB. I used the 200GB for
> windows and my documents, and I used the 160GB for PS2 game backup
> ISO's and media files. The crash involved a BSOD when trying to load
> windows, and it reset many of my BIOS settings. It also corrupted my
> 200GB hard drive, but did'nt harm the 160GB one. I have since changed
> back the BIOS settings, and I installed XP onto the 160GB hard drive,
> in order to salvage the damaged one. at first the damaged one wouldnt
> open saying "Drive G is corrupt and unreadable". I then ran chkdsk and
> it fixed tons of errors so that I can now browse the HDD, but it still
> wont boot windows off of it, giving me another BSOD. What I really need
> is the files in the "My Documents" folder on my 200GB HDD, the one that
> was corrupted and repaired. HERE IS THE PROBLEM: I had the folder made
> private on my old windows installation, and not password protected.
> when I try to get in now I get "access denied" errors because of that.
> I NEED to get in there in order to take the important stuff out and put
> it on the 160GB hard drive. afterwards I will go about trying to fix the
> windows installation on that drive. I appreciate all of your help ahead
> of time, but I do ask one thing: please don't give me help with the
> crash, restoring windows, or those issues, I will deal with them
> myself, all I need is a way to get into a private folder on one hard
> drive that doesnt have windows, from another hard drive that does.
> Thanks for reading, and if anything is unclear please let me know.
> Thanks.
>

> --
> techking
August 16, 2010 10:17:02 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!