BEFSW11 experiences? What's more reliable?

Hello,

I've been running a BEFSW11 for over a year now, and was wondering
what experiences anyone else has been having with this unit.

I use this router to share a DSL connection among 4 LAN'd machines and
1 laptop with a WPC11 card. It is configured to use PPPoE. I have
port forwarding enabled to allow outside access to various services I
am running on some of the LAN machines.

My router has no version number...I think that means it's the first
hardware version Linksys made. I am running the latest firmware
available for this hardware version.

This router locks up on a regular basis, I would estimate twice a
week. I cannot correlate any specific activity to these lockups...I
will just periodically lose connectivity to the Internet. Cycling the
power to the router always cures the problem.

I have noticed that I can reliably lock it up if I establish a
wireless connection to the laptop, then try to use VNC from the laptop
to remote control one of the LAN machines.

Is anyone else experiencing anything like this with this model? Or
other hardware revisions of this model?

In a similar price range, is there another router that's generally
considered more reliable (D-Link, Netgear, Zyxel, etc.)?

Thanks for any info/advice...
2 answers Last reply
More about befsw11 experiences what reliable

    Mr. Land wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > I've been running a BEFSW11 for over a year now, and was wondering
    > what experiences anyone else has been having with this unit.
    >
    > I use this router to share a DSL connection among 4 LAN'd machines and
    > 1 laptop with a WPC11 card. It is configured to use PPPoE. I have
    > port forwarding enabled to allow outside access to various services I
    > am running on some of the LAN machines.
    >
    > My router has no version number...I think that means it's the first
    > hardware version Linksys made. I am running the latest firmware
    > available for this hardware version.
    >
    > This router locks up on a regular basis, I would estimate twice a
    > week. I cannot correlate any specific activity to these lockups...I
    > will just periodically lose connectivity to the Internet. Cycling the
    > power to the router always cures the problem.
    >
    > I have noticed that I can reliably lock it up if I establish a
    > wireless connection to the laptop, then try to use VNC from the laptop
    > to remote control one of the LAN machines.
    >
    > Is anyone else experiencing anything like this with this model? Or
    > other hardware revisions of this model?
    >
    > In a similar price range, is there another router that's generally
    > considered more reliable (D-Link, Netgear, Zyxel, etc.)?
    >
    > Thanks for any info/advice...

    No version number means it is a V1. My V1 has been running for about
    three years, and locks or hangs or disables the WAN roughly every two
    months; usually a simple reset (via the button) cures things.

    There have been reports that the BEFW11S4 is sensitive to AC power
    glitches. My results may be better than yours because mine is run
    via a line conditioner.
    --
    Cheers, Bob

    Mr. Land wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > I've been running a BEFSW11 for over a year now, and was wondering
    > what experiences anyone else has been having with this unit.
    >
    > I use this router to share a DSL connection among 4 LAN'd machines and
    > 1 laptop with a WPC11 card. It is configured to use PPPoE. I have
    > port forwarding enabled to allow outside access to various services I
    > am running on some of the LAN machines.
    >
    > My router has no version number...I think that means it's the first
    > hardware version Linksys made. I am running the latest firmware
    > available for this hardware version.
    >
    > This router locks up on a regular basis, I would estimate twice a
    > week. I cannot correlate any specific activity to these lockups...I
    > will just periodically lose connectivity to the Internet. Cycling the
    > power to the router always cures the problem.
    >
    > I have noticed that I can reliably lock it up if I establish a
    > wireless connection to the laptop, then try to use VNC from the laptop
    > to remote control one of the LAN machines.
    >
    > Is anyone else experiencing anything like this with this model? Or
    > other hardware revisions of this model?
    >
    > In a similar price range, is there another router that's generally
    > considered more reliable (D-Link, Netgear, Zyxel, etc.)?
    >
    > Thanks for any info/advice...

    Just to be sure of the version #, log into the router by your browser
    http://<router ip>
    The version may show at the password sign in.

    Anyway, I bought this model, ver 4 about a year ago and had nothing but
    trouble. Finally, they put out a firmware 1.50.10 that fixed all the
    problems I had. No lockups. Also, if this doesn't help, go to
    www.dslreports.com and see if there is anything there to help.

    --
    robert - slackware

Routers Wireless Networking