Creating XP Images

I would like to create an XP image using Norton Ghost for deployment
over several workstation computers. These computers have different
hardware in them. Is there an easy way to do this. If I create an
image on one machine (with certain hardware components), and then try
to use this image on a different machine (with different hardware
components)...will this work? I have had some issues doing this
already. Is there a way to do this?

I hope someone can help me.

Thanks,
Erik

--
erenner

Hi Erik,

You will need to do a repair install on each system that presents problems.
How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install by Michael Stevens MS-MVP:

Regards,
Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
http://bertk.mvps.org

erenner wrote:
> I would like to create an XP image using Norton Ghost for
> deployment over several workstation computers. These
> computers have different hardware in them. Is there an
> easy way to do this. If I create an image on one machine
> (with certain hardware components), and then try to use
> this image on a different machine (with different
> hardware components)...will this work? I have had some
> issues doing this already. Is there a way to do this?
>
> I hope someone can help me.
>
> Thanks,
> Erik

Jerry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I use Ghost 2003 religiously LOL and I don't think you will get what you
want. One of two things will happen.
1. It will NOT work at all or
2. XP will find what it needs <after the new image is implemented> and will
need to be rebooted. This is what happen to me when I had to replace my MB.
Isn't XP wonderful.

I suspect it would be easier in the long run to make an image of each pc.

"Bert Kinney" <bert@NSmvps.org> wrote in message
> Hi Erik,
>
> You will need to do a repair install on each system that presents
> problems.
> How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install by Michael Stevens MS-MVP:
> http://michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
>
> --
> Regards,
> Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
> http://bertk.mvps.org
>

> erenner wrote:
>> I would like to create an XP image using Norton Ghost for
>> deployment over several workstation computers. These
>> computers have different hardware in them. Is there an
>> easy way to do this. If I create an image on one machine
>> (with certain hardware components), and then try to use
>> this image on a different machine (with different
>> hardware components)...will this work? I have had some
>> issues doing this already. Is there a way to do this?
>>
>> I hope someone can help me.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Erik

Looking over the following article, it look like it could be complicated.

Changing a Motherboard
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/moving_xp.html
--

Jerry wrote:
> I use Ghost 2003 religiously LOL and I don't think you
> will get what you want. One of two things will happen.
> 1. It will NOT work at all or
> 2. XP will find what it needs <after the new image is
> implemented> and will need to be rebooted. This is what
> happen to me when I had to replace my MB. Isn't XP
> wonderful.
> I suspect it would be easier in the long run to make an
> image of each pc.
> "Bert Kinney" <bert@NSmvps.org> wrote in message
>> Hi Erik,
>>
>> You will need to do a repair install on each system that
>> presents problems.
>> How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install by Michael
>> Stevens MS-MVP:
>> http://michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm --
>> Regards,
>> Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
>> http://bertk.mvps.org
>>

>> erenner wrote:
>>> I would like to create an XP image using Norton Ghost
>>> for deployment over several workstation computers. These computers have different
>>> hardware in them. Is
>>> there an easy way to do this. If I create an image on
>>> one machine (with certain hardware components), and
>>> then try to use this image on a different machine (with
>>> different hardware components)...will this work? I
>>> have had some issues doing this already. Is there a
>>> way to do this? I hope someone can help me.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Erik

erenner wrote:
> I would like to create an XP image using Norton Ghost for deployment
> over several workstation computers. These computers have different
> hardware in them. Is there an easy way to do this. If I create an
> image on one machine (with certain hardware components), and then try
> to use this image on a different machine (with different hardware
> components)...will this work? I have had some issues doing this
> already. Is there a way to do this?

I would recommend RIS or better yet - the freeware version found at
unattended.sourceforge.net. Your concerns about imaging and multiple
hardware types goes away - as well as the CD Key issue - as you would enter
it at the beginning of the process with the freeware unattended.

Information on RIS:
How to Deploy Windows XP Images from Windows 2000 RIS Servers
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/304314

Information on RIS:
Step-by-Step Guide to Remote OS Installation
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windows2000serv/howto/remoteos.mspxUnattended Install over Network: http://unattended.sourceforge.netUnattended Install with CD/DVD: http://unattended.msfn.orgSingle image (XP) for many different hardware types: http://www.gc.peachnet.edu/www/wbeck/W2KXP.htm#Masterfor a ghost and a sysprep version.Make/deploy packages and scripts (install other applications.) http://www.appdeploy.com/Business Desktop Deployment: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/desktopdeployment/articles/032805ds.mspx--Shenan Stanley MS-MVP--How To Ask Questions The Smart Wayhttp://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

Jerry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Actually changing the MB was straight forward (close to a one to one
replacement), but I figured I would still have to reinstall XP to make
everything work. To make a long story short, After changing the MB, I
checked the bios to make sure it was setup correctly, then did a normal
boot.. XP moaned and groaned for about 5 minutes, but after that it came
back and said it had found all it needed and needed to reboot for everything
to work.

It has never blinked since. Love XP

> Looking over the following article, it look like it could be complicated.
>
> Changing a Motherboard
> http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/moving_xp.html
> --
> Regards,
> Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
> http://bertk.mvps.org
>

> Jerry wrote:
>> I use Ghost 2003 religiously LOL and I don't think you
>> will get what you want. One of two things will happen.
>> 1. It will NOT work at all or
>> 2. XP will find what it needs <after the new image is
>> implemented> and will need to be rebooted. This is what
>> happen to me when I had to replace my MB. Isn't XP
>> wonderful.
>> I suspect it would be easier in the long run to make an
>> image of each pc.
>> "Bert Kinney" <bert@NSmvps.org> wrote in message
>>> Hi Erik,
>>>
>>> You will need to do a repair install on each system that
>>> presents problems.
>>> How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install by Michael
>>> Stevens MS-MVP:
>>> http://michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm --
>>> Regards,
>>> Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
>>> http://bertk.mvps.org

That certainly sounds like a positive outcome.