My keyboard recently started acting up.
When I press a key my tower clicks, if I hold key for 2 seconds tower clicks
again and character shows up.
Tried:
adjust keyboard properties
new keyboard
un/re-install of driver
uninstall adobe & java (recent updates)
uninstall of flight sim 2000
uninstall sidewinder controller
virus scan (McAfee)
system recovery to earlier date

Any ideas?

Jim

Usb or serial?
"bec" <bec@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My keyboard recently started acting up.
> When I press a key my tower clicks, if I hold key for 2 seconds tower
> clicks
> again and character shows up.
> Tried:
> adjust keyboard properties
> new keyboard
> un/re-install of driver
> uninstall adobe & java (recent updates)
> uninstall of flight sim 2000
> uninstall sidewinder controller
> virus scan (McAfee)
> system recovery to earlier date
>
> Any ideas?

serial

"Jim" wrote:

> Usb or serial?
> "bec" <bec@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > My keyboard recently started acting up.
> > When I press a key my tower clicks, if I hold key for 2 seconds tower
> > clicks
> > again and character shows up.
> > Tried:
> > adjust keyboard properties
> > new keyboard
> > un/re-install of driver
> > uninstall adobe & java (recent updates)
> > uninstall of flight sim 2000
> > uninstall sidewinder controller
> > virus scan (McAfee)
> > system recovery to earlier date
> >
> > Any ideas?

Jim

Does it happen with a certain program your working with? OR If you don't
know how to already,.dig your manual out and see how to get
into setup/bios.There should be an error log/ boot log somewhere,see what it
says.

keyboard is being detected when you boot.
"bec" <bec@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My keyboard recently started acting up.
> When I press a key my tower clicks, if I hold key for 2 seconds tower
> clicks
> again and character shows up.
> Tried:
> adjust keyboard properties
> new keyboard
> un/re-install of driver
> uninstall adobe & java (recent updates)
> uninstall of flight sim 2000
> uninstall sidewinder controller
> virus scan (McAfee)
> system recovery to earlier date
>
> Any ideas?

It does not happen in a certain program, it happens everywhere - IE, Word,
McAfee login. The keyboard is detected when I boot, because when I
uninstalled the driver and rebooted it found the 'new hardware'. I don't
receive an error, and the device manager properties says the keyboard is
working fine and there are no hardware conflicts.
I will look into to setup/bios when I get home tonight.
A friend suggested that it might be a bad PS/2 port?
(It is so nice to type from work, and not have to wait 2 seconds per key -
it took me forever to put that first post in!)
Thanks for hanging with me Jim!

"Jim" wrote:

> Does it happen with a certain program your working with? OR If you don't
> know how to already,.dig your manual out and see how to get
> into setup/bios.There should be an error log/ boot log somewhere,see what it
> says.
>
> keyboard is being detected when you boot.
> "bec" <bec@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > My keyboard recently started acting up.
> > When I press a key my tower clicks, if I hold key for 2 seconds tower
> > clicks
> > again and character shows up.
> > Tried:
> > adjust keyboard properties
> > new keyboard
> > un/re-install of driver
> > uninstall adobe & java (recent updates)
> > uninstall of flight sim 2000
> > uninstall sidewinder controller
> > virus scan (McAfee)
> > system recovery to earlier date
> >
> > Any ideas?

Jim

In the bois/setup you will see the log and if it has "keyboard not detected"
or something similar (note that your keyboard will still be "functional"
even if you see the error in the log) over and over then it's a hardware
issue, perhaps what your friend suggested. The other thing to try is maybe
borrow a USB key board,to see if it is the port.

> It does not happen in a certain program, it happens everywhere - IE, Word,
> McAfee login. The keyboard is detected when I boot, because when I
> uninstalled the driver and rebooted it found the 'new hardware'. I don't
> receive an error, and the device manager properties says the keyboard is
> working fine and there are no hardware conflicts.
> I will look into to setup/bios when I get home tonight.
> A friend suggested that it might be a bad PS/2 port?
> (It is so nice to type from work, and not have to wait 2 seconds per key -
> it took me forever to put that first post in!)
> Thanks for hanging with me Jim!
>
> "Jim" wrote:
>
>> Does it happen with a certain program your working with? OR If you don't
>> know how to already,.dig your manual out and see how to get
>> into setup/bios.There should be an error log/ boot log somewhere,see what
>> it
>> says.
>>
>> keyboard is being detected when you boot.
>> "bec" <bec@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > My keyboard recently started acting up.
>> > When I press a key my tower clicks, if I hold key for 2 seconds tower
>> > clicks
>> > again and character shows up.
>> > Tried:
>> > adjust keyboard properties