Windows XP McAffe Antivirus

Whenever I run McAfee virus scan version 10 my computer completely shuts down
at some point during the scan. However if I reboot and run scan a second time
it runs fine. Any help would be appreciated. I am using Windows XP with all
updates installed. Thanks.

Avs

Sart your pc in Safe Mode. When you first boot it up, start tapping F8 Function key, and select Safe Mode from the bootup options.
Run McAfee in Safe Mode & let it do a full scan. Make sure it shows all OK.

It is just possible you have some other malware that your AV cannot detect.
See The Parasite Fight Quick Fix Protocol at <http://www.aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm>

The symptoms you describe tend to point to malware (crudware) shutting down your McAfee. And somehow the 'malware' is not present when you reboot. I'd recommend following the tips at Aumha.
HTH
--
Maurice N
MVP Windows - Shell / User

Avs wrote:
> Whenever I run McAfee virus scan version 10 my computer completely
> shuts down at some point during the scan. However if I reboot and run
> scan a second time it runs fine. Any help would be appreciated. I am
> using Windows XP with all updates installed. Thanks.
>
> Avs

TRENDING THREADS