Advice for brand new Dell?

I've been reading this newsgroup for a while and you all are certainly
a knowledgeable and helpful bunch. May I impose on you for some
advice? My new Dell just arrived today and I haven't unpacked it yet.
It's a Dimension 3000 with Win XP Pro. My current computer is a 4-5
year-old Dell with Win 98.

I have no problem connecting the cords and cables, but I'm new to XP
and thought some of you might have some advice for me regarding setting
it up. I can take my time because my current computer is functional.

Are there any steps I should take once the new computer is up and
running? Should I go immediately to Microsoft update and see if there
are any new updates for it? I do have SP2 according to the specs.

What about getting my current printer and external zip drive to work
with the new computer? I've heard that some old peripherals won't work
at all with WinXP. If I update the drivers and still the peripherals
don't work, should I assume that's a permanent situation and replace
them?

Is it worth it to buy a data-transfer program to enable me to move my
old files to the new computer? I do have CD-RW (whatever that means)
on the new machine but don't think that helps with getting stuff off
the old one.

Lastly, is there anything I absolutely *should *not *do as I start
tweaking and adjusting the new system?

Thank you for any and all suggestions and warnings you may have for me.
I'm sure I'll be back with more questions as they occur to me. XP
makes me nervous, for some reason.

Carly
14 answers Last reply
More about advice brand dell

    Hi friend :)

    i just got my new D3000 a day ago and it looks ok alto looking inside
    it seems empty, ie no place to install new drives as the brackets
    that hold them are missing, also for the floppy too, and no place to
    install grafix cards (no slot) :S

    ok, what not to do... which i did was take the 40g drive out and wack
    a 200g in its place, before i did this i updated all the drivers and
    Xp program from start/programs/dell.

    all was going well untill i went to install the drivers from the disk,
    only 3 out of 6 were found, ,, no display drivers and a couple other
    (carnt remember)

    so i went to the dell website to get the chipset ect but dell dont
    have any chipset drivers for windows me but they have them for most
    of the other systems,,

    it looks like ME is a no no for the D3000 and i am gonna have to try
    this "XP" :)

    i have been using ME for the last 3 year! :(

    one thing that really takes the cheese with dell computers is the fact
    that they dont give you the mother drivers!!

    with my SiS computer all is on one disk hoy it in and sorted all is
    good,,, i am thinking of using my new Dell as a flower pot :D

    well i can still hoy the 40g back in and it will work ok....

    Richy

    > Should I go immediately to Microsoft update and see if there
    > are any new updates for it? I do have SP2 according to the specs.

    Oh yes, please do. And repeat it once every one or two weeks. Having SP2
    does not mean that the PC is secure. Have you installed a virus scanner
    already? If not, please do.

    > Is it worth it to buy a data-transfer program to enable me to move my
    > old files to the new computer?

    You could also temporarily connect the old harddrive to the IDE and
    power connectors of your CDROM/DVD-ROM drive, boot up Windows and then
    just copy all needed files with Explorer.

    > XP makes me nervous, for some reason.

    It is not as bad as some people say. ;-)

    Olaf

    Carly, what your feeling is pretty much typical with a new computer.

    When you open the boxes, check to make certain you received everything on
    the shipping invoice. If not call Dell Customer Service immediately. You
    will not get a hassle and they will get the missing parts to you in a day or
    two.

    If all Ok, hook it up and turn it on. Windows XP is not too far off windows
    98 (a few small differences- all good IMO) and you should pick up on it in a
    just few minutes.

    As far as getting the data off your old one, consider buying a 256 MB (or
    larger) USB jump drive. Make certain the one you get has drivers for Win 98
    (most will work w/o a driver but not always.) Simply plug the USB dongle
    into the port, it will be recognized as a new drive and all you have to do
    is drag-n-drop your files as if it was a hard drive. Stick it in the new
    system and download. This is the falsest and easiest way if your old system
    is not on a network or does not have a CD-R.

    Nice thing about Dell is the system is already configured and you will be up
    and running in minutes.
    Go for it!

    P.S. A nice glass of wine goes good with a new computer...

    Dennis wrote:

    > Carly, what your feeling is pretty much typical with a new computer.
    >
    > When you open the boxes, check to make certain you received everything on
    > the shipping invoice. If not call Dell Customer Service immediately. You
    > will not get a hassle and they will get the missing parts to you in a day or
    > two.
    >
    > If all Ok, hook it up and turn it on. Windows XP is not too far off windows
    > 98 (a few small differences- all good IMO) and you should pick up on it in a
    > just few minutes.
    >
    > As far as getting the data off your old one, consider buying a 256 MB (or
    > larger) USB jump drive. Make certain the one you get has drivers for Win 98
    > (most will work w/o a driver but not always.) Simply plug the USB dongle
    > into the port, it will be recognized as a new drive and all you have to do
    > is drag-n-drop your files as if it was a hard drive. Stick it in the new
    > system and download. This is the falsest and easiest way if your old system
    > is not on a network or does not have a CD-R.

    Hm, "the falsest and easiest way" - interesting Freudian slip. :)

    An even easier way is to get a USB housing for the old HDD and hook it
    up to the new computer.

    >> As far as getting the data off your old one, consider buying a 256 MB (or
    >> larger) USB jump drive. Make certain the one you get has drivers for Win
    >> 98

    > An even easier way is to get a USB housing for the old HDD and hook it up
    > to the new computer.

    Taking the old computer apart, removing the hard drive, buying a USB case,
    installing the old hard drive, and when all finished, replacing the old hard
    drive back in the old computer (assuming one is going to sell or give it
    away) is definitely NOT easier then using a USB Jump drive. (No way is it
    easier.)

    Assuming you can get a USB case for a desktop at $25 (inc. shipping) (no I'm
    not going to consider a 2-1/2 inch drive, we are talking desktop size only),
    and a 1GB jump drive for $60 (1/2 GB are now going for just a little more
    than the USB case) I would still recommend the jump drive.

    Using it is a no-brainier whereas building an external hard drive is not an
    easy task for anyone not familiar with tearing apart a computer (most users
    are not hardware savvy). A jump drive should be sufficient (after all, all
    your pulling off is docs, address book, spreadsheets, music, pixs, stuff
    like that.) Well within the reach of a 1GB jump, which can be used for many
    years there after. The USB case is pretty much worthless after you are done
    copying files. (Unless you use the old hard dive to do backups (not really
    needed with the size of today's hard drives IMO.) Anyway, I don't believe I
    can agree with your logic.

    "Dennis" <nobody@verizon.net> wrote in message
    >>> As far as getting the data off your old one, consider buying a 256 MB
    >>> (or larger) USB jump drive. Make certain the one you get has drivers for
    >>> Win 98
    >
    >> An even easier way is to get a USB housing for the old HDD and hook it up
    >> to the new computer.
    >
    > Taking the old computer apart, removing the hard drive, buying a USB case,
    > installing the old hard drive, and when all finished, replacing the old
    > hard drive back in the old computer (assuming one is going to sell or give
    > it away) is definitely NOT easier then using a USB Jump drive. (No way is
    > it easier.)
    >
    > Assuming you can get a USB case for a desktop at $25 (inc. shipping) (no
    > I'm not going to consider a 2-1/2 inch drive, we are talking desktop size
    > only), and a 1GB jump drive for $60 (1/2 GB are now going for just a
    > little more than the USB case) I would still recommend the jump drive.
    >
    > Using it is a no-brainier whereas building an external hard drive is not
    > an easy task for anyone not familiar with tearing apart a computer (most
    > users are not hardware savvy). A jump drive should be sufficient (after
    > all, all your pulling off is docs, address book, spreadsheets, music,
    > pixs, stuff like that.) Well within the reach of a 1GB jump, which can be
    > used for many years there after. The USB case is pretty much worthless
    > after you are done copying files. (Unless you use the old hard dive to do
    > backups (not really needed with the size of today's hard drives IMO.)
    > Anyway, I don't believe I can agree with your logic.

    I can't imagine using a 256MB jump drive for moving my data.

    My current desktop has 250GB + 100GB + 60GB = 410GB of storage. Even
    assuming that only 200GB is uses, I'd still have to use the jump drive 800
    times!

    Tom

    "Dennis" <nobody@verizon.net> wrote in message
    >>> As far as getting the data off your old one, consider buying a 256 MB
    >>> (or larger) USB jump drive. Make certain the one you get has drivers for
    >>> Win 98
    >
    >> An even easier way is to get a USB housing for the old HDD and hook it up
    >> to the new computer.
    >
    > Taking the old computer apart, removing the hard drive, buying a USB case,
    > installing the old hard drive, and when all finished, replacing the old
    > hard drive back in the old computer (assuming one is going to sell or give
    > it away) is definitely NOT easier then using a USB Jump drive. (No way is
    > it easier.)
    >
    > Assuming you can get a USB case for a desktop at $25 (inc. shipping) (no
    > I'm not going to consider a 2-1/2 inch drive, we are talking desktop size
    > only), and a 1GB jump drive for $60 (1/2 GB are now going for just a
    > little more than the USB case) I would still recommend the jump drive.
    >
    > Using it is a no-brainier whereas building an external hard drive is not
    > an easy task for anyone not familiar with tearing apart a computer (most
    > users are not hardware savvy). A jump drive should be sufficient (after
    > all, all your pulling off is docs, address book, spreadsheets, music,
    > pixs, stuff like that.) Well within the reach of a 1GB jump, which can be
    > used for many years there after. The USB case is pretty much worthless
    > after you are done copying files. (Unless you use the old hard dive to do
    > backups (not really needed with the size of today's hard drives IMO.)
    > Anyway, I don't believe I can agree with your logic.

    Oh, and I don't understand why using the old drive for backups is not a good
    idea. Where else would you back it up?

    Tom

    > I can't imagine using a 256MB jump drive for moving my data.

    Why buy a 1/4GB when there are 1GB avaliable? Can you even buy a 1/4Gb jump
    anymore?

    > My current desktop has 250GB + 100GB + 60GB = 410GB of storage. Even
    > assuming that only 200GB is uses, I'd still have to use the jump drive 800
    > times!

    Now come on now. You only have a fraction of that used for your docs,
    spreadsheets, etc. The rest is mosty system files, program files (which is
    better reloaded from scratch) and other misc stuff like *bin files and the
    like (stuff you would never copy anyway; certainly not an average user
    transfering files to a new computer.)

    I'm certain if you actually examined your data, you would find you could
    probably get everything you need to copy over to the new computer on a 1GB
    jump drive. (Assuming you were going to reload your programs like most
    people would.) How many gigs of actual data do you really have?

    The original poster was looking for the easiest way to copy files to a new
    computer. the key here is "easiest" not hardest. They could of course copy
    them over to CD-R or DVD-R as well (if they have a drive on their current
    computer and know how to use it - not everyone who has the burner has used
    it.)

    It's simply too much effort for the *average* user (probably 95%+ of the
    population) to jump through all these hoops of tearing apart the old
    computer, finding & buying a USB case and copying the data in this manner.

    Buy a jump drive locally, plug it in and copy. Couldn't be easier.

    410GB? quite the huge porn collection.

    > Oh, and I don't understand why using the old drive for backups is not a
    > good idea. Where else would you back it up?

    Tom, of course you could use the old drive for back up. My point was that
    once the old drive was pulled out for backup, the old computer was now
    unusable. Most people would (probably) like to sell of give-away their old
    computer and therefore would have to put the old hard drive back in. We have
    actually done that many times in the past (no more however.)

    With the advent of entry-level computers coming with DVD burners now, backup
    of complete data sets to a 4.7GB DVD is by far the easiest way to back up
    data. With DVD's are now going for about 50 cents apiece it's also
    economical as well.

    We (my company) just bought a new $500 computer from Sams (had to get a
    instant replacement as one had failed and there was no time to troubleshoot
    the old one) and it came with a 17 inch monitor, DVD/CD burner, 1/2 GB
    memory and 120GB hard drive. Now you can't expect much for $500 but I was
    impressed with it's features.

    My company backs everything up on CD/R's and will probably move to DVD/R's
    shortly in the future; now that the price has fallen to a reasonable level.

    Advantage over a second hard disk is, we can go back years ago an pull up an
    obsolete file, or a file before it was changed, etc. from a CD. A second
    hard disk will only backup the current file (which may be enough for
    personal needs but not for business where history could be an important
    factor.) unless you constantly rename it.

    For the 'average' user, backing up to a jump drive or CD/R is sufficient and
    practical. (Of course there are exceptions to the rules, buy I'm talking of
    the average user.)

    "Dennis" <nobody@verizon.net> wrote in message

    >> I can't imagine using a 256MB jump drive for moving my data.
    >
    > Why buy a 1/4GB when there are 1GB avaliable? Can you even buy a 1/4Gb
    > jump anymore?
    >
    >> My current desktop has 250GB + 100GB + 60GB = 410GB of storage. Even
    >> assuming that only 200GB is uses, I'd still have to use the jump drive
    >> 800 times!
    >
    > Now come on now. You only have a fraction of that used for your docs,
    > spreadsheets, etc. The rest is mosty system files, program files (which is
    > better reloaded from scratch) and other misc stuff like *bin files and the
    > like (stuff you would never copy anyway; certainly not an average user
    > transfering files to a new computer.)
    >
    > I'm certain if you actually examined your data, you would find you could
    > probably get everything you need to copy over to the new computer on a 1GB
    > jump drive. (Assuming you were going to reload your programs like most
    > people would.) How many gigs of actual data do you really have?
    >
    > The original poster was looking for the easiest way to copy files to a new
    > computer. the key here is "easiest" not hardest. They could of course copy
    > them over to CD-R or DVD-R as well (if they have a drive on their current
    > computer and know how to use it - not everyone who has the burner has used
    > it.)
    >
    > It's simply too much effort for the *average* user (probably 95%+ of the
    > population) to jump through all these hoops of tearing apart the old
    > computer, finding & buying a USB case and copying the data in this manner.
    >
    > Buy a jump drive locally, plug it in and copy. Couldn't be easier.

    The original post discussed the 256mb drive.

    Less that 15GB is programs, etcs as you say. The rest is all DATA.

    At 20MB per image (12.4 megapixels), I use a LOT of space.

    Tom

    Yes another new name from my stalker.

    Surprise, surprise.

    "Larry Flint" <Big_Headlights@Big_Winnebagos.com> wrote in message
    > 410GB? quite the huge porn collection.

    now now little tommie. don't get your weenie in a tangle.
    nothing wrong with looking at dirty pictures.
    but 410GB is bit obsessive don't u think?

    On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 22:44:00 GMT, "Dennis" <nobody@verizon.net> wrote:

    >>> As far as getting the data off your old one, consider buying a 256 MB (or
    >>> larger) USB jump drive. Make certain the one you get has drivers for Win
    >>> 98
    >
    >> An even easier way is to get a USB housing for the old HDD and hook it up
    >> to the new computer.
    >
    >Taking the old computer apart, removing the hard drive, buying a USB case,
    >installing the old hard drive, and when all finished, replacing the old hard
    >drive back in the old computer (assuming one is going to sell or give it
    >away) is definitely NOT easier then using a USB Jump drive. (No way is it
    >easier.)

    Point taken, but there are guides available all over the net. Anyone
    should be able to manage it. Possibly excepting you.

    >Assuming you can get a USB case for a desktop at $25 (inc. shipping) (no I'm
    >not going to consider a 2-1/2 inch drive, we are talking desktop size only),
    >and a 1GB jump drive for $60 (1/2 GB are now going for just a little more
    >than the USB case) I would still recommend the jump drive.

    So you're paying more than twice as much and getting a smaller drive.
    Boy really sharp thinking there.

    >Using it is a no-brainier whereas building an external hard drive is not an
    >easy task for anyone not familiar with tearing apart a computer (most users
    >are not hardware savvy). A jump drive should be sufficient (after all, all
    >your pulling off is docs, address book, spreadsheets, music, pixs, stuff
    >like that.) Well within the reach of a 1GB jump, which can be used for many
    >years there after. The USB case is pretty much worthless after you are done
    >copying files. (Unless you use the old hard dive to do backups (not really
    >needed with the size of today's hard drives IMO.)

    By reusing the drive, he doesn't have to "pull" anything. He can
    simply leave it there, and access it anytime he wants. You saying
    backups are not needed? Haw Haw.

    >Anyway, I don't believe I
    >can agree with your logic.

    I feel so bad!