Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Super Fast OCZ Z-Drive SSD Shipping

Last response: in News comments
September 18, 2009 12:44:03 AM

Have they figured out how to end the bad MTBF, mean time between failures of SSD drives. Last time I read up on them they had a software/controller solution to the memory banks to evenly distribute data so they don't wear out as quick.
Score
September 18, 2009 12:44:23 AM

Bootable?
Score
Related resources
September 18, 2009 12:46:51 AM

Wait.

I need 2 in RAID-0. So I have to give away both arms and legs?

Then how am i supposed to use it?

pppshhh. OCZ really need to consider their bartering criteria before releasing products.
Score
September 18, 2009 1:49:38 AM

Unbootable drive is unbootable.
Score
September 18, 2009 1:56:43 AM

Maybe I should take out my student loan and buy this drive. :) P
Score
Anonymous
September 18, 2009 2:05:44 AM

"OCZ Z-Drives!

Sell your soul now!

Move to hell later!"

No really these are the Ferraris of internal storage :) 

Instead of buying a SUPERCOMPUTER i would just buy one of these and spend all day looking at it lol
Score
Anonymous
September 18, 2009 2:42:48 AM

When I'm rich...
Score
September 18, 2009 2:49:21 AM

Quote:

"plug-and-play bootable PCI-E solid state drive"

I don't know how, but they say it is...
Score
September 18, 2009 2:57:42 AM

Like any RAID card I imagine the BIOS recognizes it as a bootable device, lol
Score
September 18, 2009 3:13:38 AM

Just think with these drives in 5 years P.C's will boot up 1 TB faster then those old game console ROM cartridges and cost very little! Let's also hope that Windows doesn't bloat to 1TB!
Score
September 18, 2009 3:22:04 AM

guythepro"plug-and-play bootable PCI-E solid state drive"I don't know how, but they say it is...

They ninja-edited that in. And yeah, I'd like to hear how.
Score
September 18, 2009 3:27:36 AM

you boot from it by selecting it in the bios as a bootable device like hard drive etc. its not rocket science!You boot into pci-e raid cards the same way
Score
September 18, 2009 4:00:02 AM

How much does a kidney go for on craigslist?.... Cause thats the only way I'll be able to afford one of these....
Score
September 18, 2009 4:05:34 AM

I can see it now... "I bought 2 of these for a RAID 0, OS wouldn't boot. RMA'd and had to pay $200 for shipping that included insurance and a 15% restocking fee. I'll never buy from TigerDirect and an OCZ product again!"
Score
September 18, 2009 4:36:08 AM

El_CapitanI can see it now... "I bought 2 of these for a RAID 0, OS wouldn't boot. RMA'd and had to pay $200 for shipping that included insurance and a 15% restocking fee. I'll never buy from TigerDirect and an OCZ product again!"

sucks to be you.
Score
September 18, 2009 5:02:36 AM

damn crazy speed ! and yet crazy price !
Score
September 18, 2009 5:49:42 AM

This is an instant must-have for any gaming enthusiast for whom money is no object (or one who games as a main hobby with a normal paying job that doesn't mind spending oodles on their computer since it's all they do, like myself). The thought actually went through my head to take a small loan out for the 1 TB. I mean yeah I'd be paying for it for the next year, but think of how long that amount of space will last you with THAT much speed. Damn. Even though it's still too expensive for the average "takes a few paychecks" upgrade, it's the first 1 TB superspeed SSD that has really got me to think about a major splurge that I might consider worth it.
Score
September 18, 2009 6:49:22 AM

Why would you need such high-performance storage in a desktop, especially at such ridiculous price? To boot Windows in several seconds? You do not even need SSD to do this, just right software - try Boot Cooler (www.bootcooler.com), it is still in beta but it does its job well (please read documentation beforehand if you want to use it on 64-bit Vista/Win7). And it is free.
Score
September 18, 2009 6:51:57 AM

I'll be picking one of those up... in 2015! I just got my 1st SSD and it's awesome, even if tiny, but I'd splurge on an i7 975 + Samsung Spinponit F3 1TB + OCZ Vertex Turbo 120GB (same price) before buying a 1TB of these.
Score
September 18, 2009 9:03:46 AM

"This is an instant must-have for any gaming enthusiast for whom money is no object (or one who games as a main hobby with a normal paying job that doesn't mind spending oodles on their computer since it's all they do, like myself)."

Yeah, cause that helps your FPS, right? LMAO. Gamers don't need crazy SSDs unless they're cool with spending thousands of dollars to launch their games faster. Drives like this do ABSOLUTELY NOTHING for your in-game performance.
Score
Anonymous
September 18, 2009 9:34:13 AM

Will it run Crysis?
Score
September 18, 2009 10:09:26 AM

FinallyWill it run Crysis?

LOLZ! How much further can we push this joke? Maybe when Crysis is as old as DN3D?

I suppose game loading times would be reduced but actual game play won't be affected. As a gamer I need a bit of that loading time to finish chugging my can of Relentless and stuffing the Twinky in my mouth.
Score
September 18, 2009 11:03:51 AM

It would be perfect for someone running a system with Windows XP 32 bit with 6 GB RAM!
Score
September 18, 2009 11:37:54 AM

Another situation that requires winning the lottery!
Score
September 18, 2009 12:31:28 PM

At least the pricing is somewhat competitive... however, it's still a bit on the expensive side. Oh well, give it 3-6 months. ^.^
Score
September 18, 2009 12:42:34 PM

People... They are marketting it to people who own database servers and server farms, not gamers. This is actually quite a deal. If you look at the super-talent device in comparison ($5,000 but 30% faster) then you will realize this is a good price for such a storage device in those sectors. Buying one of these for your database server could actually save you a significant amount of money.
Score
September 18, 2009 1:46:46 PM

All you young whipper snappers out there, let me tell you how it was in the old days. Your motherboard handled the CPU and Memory, and that was it. Your hard disk controller plugged into an expansion slot, and wonder of wonders, hard drives connected to the controller would boot just fine. Just because it is not soldered to the motherboard does not mean booting is out of the question.
Score
September 18, 2009 1:47:56 PM

Does that mean it's bootable? :p 
Score
September 18, 2009 2:35:20 PM

Overpriced...
But give it time people these things will get a lot cheaper.
Score
September 18, 2009 2:55:25 PM

OCZ is crazy to assume that consumers are going to jump on this with that price tag, but those read/write speeds are just as crazy. And this is on just a standard PCI-Express slot, imagine what they could do if they could format them to use a PCI x16/2.0 slot?
Score
September 18, 2009 3:19:09 PM

"...and meets the demands of the complete range of enterprise storage and data access requirements"

I think that sums it up pretty well. This drive is not made for consumers and I have yet to see such a claim on the part of OCZ or Tom's Hardware. This is for enterprise servers where it IS a value and where it will certainly be picked up by many users.
Score
September 18, 2009 3:31:47 PM

webbwbb"...and meets the demands of the complete range of enterprise storage and data access requirements"I think that sums it up pretty well. This drive is not made for consumers and I have yet to see such a claim on the part of OCZ or Tom's Hardware. This is for enterprise servers where it IS a value and where it will certainly be picked up by many users.

As much as enterprises would benefit from the speed, they don't care about that as much as the fact that for that price they could buy 10s of TBs worth of standard hard drives that still run at very good speeds (nowhere near this beast, mind you). Reality is, this is just a flashy new piece of SSD that will take quite a bit of time and price drops before they successfully integrate into the market.
Score
September 18, 2009 3:59:43 PM

rcprattUnbootable drive is unbootable.

If your reading capacity was a little longer than five seconds you would have noticed they clearly stated this drive it bootable.
Score
September 18, 2009 4:01:45 PM

Quote:
rcpratt :

If your reading capacity was a little longer than five seconds you would have noticed they clearly stated this drive it bootable.

But an unbootable drive is unbootable, even though this drive is bootable.
Score
September 18, 2009 4:09:04 PM

I want to build a 4000$ computer... and I want the 1TB Z drive... >:p  leaving 700$ for the rest.
Score
September 18, 2009 4:10:21 PM

Of course I was sarcastic... In 5 years, ssd will be affordable... at least I hope...
Score
September 18, 2009 4:43:05 PM

El_CapitanBut an unbootable drive is unbootable, even though this drive is bootable.

He was using a meme and referencing "unbootable" drive as the one in the article. I know this as previously these drives were not bootable, he assumed this was the case probably going by just the title.
Score
September 18, 2009 4:44:31 PM

Quote:

bildo123 09/18/2009 6:43 PM
Hide
Insert quote. Report -0+

El_Capitan :
But an unbootable drive is unbootable, even though this drive is bootable.

He was using a meme and referencing "unbootable" drive as the one in the article. I know this as previously these drives were not bootable, he assumed this was the case probably going by just the title

I know, I'm just being a smartass.
Score
September 18, 2009 5:41:47 PM

webbwbbPeople... They are marketting it to people who own database servers and server farms, not gamers. This is actually quite a deal. If you look at the super-talent device in comparison ($5,000 but 30% faster) then you will realize this is a good price for such a storage device in those sectors. Buying one of these for your database server could actually save you a significant amount of money.

Sorry, but I'm not going to rely on "internal RAID-0" on any of my servers and nobody else in their right mind is going to, either. A Fusion-IO or RamSan-20 card which have internal error-correction and redundancy are still the PCIe cards of choice for servers. This OCZ card focuses entirely on speed with no inherent reliability features and that makes it a "gamer" card whether they want to admit it or not.
Score
September 18, 2009 7:24:24 PM

They need to start doing tests to see how much FPS they get while playing Crisis.
Score
September 18, 2009 9:23:07 PM

I wonder what would happen if they charged $500 for the 256 GB model. 3 would need to be bought to realize the price of the current 1. Figure in the cost of production which can't really be all that high as I'm sure the R&D is what is driving the cost up initially. If they could product enough they would surely sell a whole lot more than 3x the $1500 ones. This would corner the market, make them silly rich, and drive this whole SSD thing forward. Heck, it might even pull us out of recession.
Score
September 19, 2009 9:24:18 AM

$3300 not for the gamer or normal user.
Score
September 19, 2009 1:14:32 PM

guythepro"plug-and-play bootable PCI-E solid state drive"I don't know how, but they say it is...

By getting a motherboard that doesn't suck, that's how.
Score
September 19, 2009 1:16:51 PM

El_CapitanThey need to start doing tests to see how much FPS they get while playing Crisis.

FPS wouldn't be affected per average, most of the data is stored into RAM when loading the game ( that long-ass period when you see a bunch of % go to 100 ) Of course with this drive that would take about 4 seconds, so...
Score
September 19, 2009 4:19:58 PM

mr00000Yeah, cause that helps your FPS, right? LMAO. Gamers don't need crazy SSDs unless they're cool with spending thousands of dollars to launch their games faster. Drives like this do ABSOLUTELY NOTHING for your in-game performance.

I think it's obvious it won't have any effect on the game's performance outside of loading times, but I think bumping load times to 10x quicker speeds than they are now is a massive improvement by itself. If I could make a small investment to basically make loading times a thing of the past for years to come, you bet I would. Again, I didn't say this was practical for every gamer - obviously the price makes that a reality. I did say however that any gamer who could afford it one way or another will find this worth every penny.
Score
Anonymous
September 29, 2009 8:51:30 PM

At last after waiting for months. Being in the cheap end compared to Fusion IO Drive and RAMSAN's competing product it should be attractive for a lot of database and high IO installations where it is likely that performance will improve beyond the cost.
Score
!