discs not recognized

toni409

I have a Panasonic SW 9585c. When I put a dvd or cd in drive Windows XP pro
does not recognize that there is a disc in drive bay. Windows Explorer,
Media Players or DVD burners say: "Insert disc into drive". If I leave the
disc in the bay and restart my computer it will then recognize the disc and
proceed normally. This happens to any disc no matter when it was burned or
if it is blank. Where is the glitch?

Thanks for any help.

Here are a few sites to check out, might help you update firmware and drivers
to get you binning again..
http://www.panasonic.com/industrial/computer/storage/optical/support.html
http://www.panasonic.com/industrial/computer/storage/optical/models/SW9585C.htm
http://panasonic.co.jp/psec/support/dvdram/lim/eoem/sw9573drvxp.html
"toni409" wrote:

Be aware of all risks and calculate wisely..
j;-)

"toni409" wrote:

> --
> toni409
>
> I have a Panasonic SW 9585c. When I put a dvd or cd in drive Windows XP pro
> does not recognize that there is a disc in drive bay. Windows Explorer,
> Media Players or DVD burners say: "Insert disc into drive". If I leave the
> disc in the bay and restart my computer it will then recognize the disc and
> proceed normally. This happens to any disc no matter when it was burned or
> if it is blank. Where is the glitch?
>
> Thanks for any help.

Ricky

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2003

See if this helps..
http://www.softwarepatch.com/windows/xp-autorun.html

"toni409" <toni409@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> --
> toni409
>
> I have a Panasonic SW 9585c. When I put a dvd or cd in drive Windows XP
> pro
> does not recognize that there is a disc in drive bay. Windows Explorer,
> Media Players or DVD burners say: "Insert disc into drive". If I leave
> the
> disc in the bay and restart my computer it will then recognize the disc
> and
> proceed normally. This happens to any disc no matter when it was burned
> or
> if it is blank. Where is the glitch?
>
> Thanks for any help.

toni409

"Ricky" wrote:

> See if this helps..
> http://www.softwarepatch.com/windows/xp-autorun.html
>
> "toni409" <toni409@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >
> > --
> > toni409
> >
> > I have a Panasonic SW 9585c. When I put a dvd or cd in drive Windows XP
> > pro
> > does not recognize that there is a disc in drive bay. Windows Explorer,
> > Media Players or DVD burners say: "Insert disc into drive". If I leave
> > the
> > disc in the bay and restart my computer it will then recognize the disc
> > and
> > proceed normally. This happens to any disc no matter when it was burned
> > or
> > if it is blank. Where is the glitch?
> >
> > Thanks for any help.

toni409

"Jaymon" wrote:

> Here are a few sites to check out, might help you update firmware and drivers
> to get you binning again..
> http://www.panasonic.com/industrial/computer/storage/optical/support.html
> http://www.panasonic.com/industrial/computer/storage/optical/models/SW9585C.htm
> http://panasonic.co.jp/psec/support/dvdram/lim/eoem/sw9573drvxp.html
> "toni409" wrote:
>
> Be aware of all risks and calculate wisely..
> j;-)
>

> "toni409" wrote:
>

> > --
> > toni409
> >
> > I have a Panasonic SW 9585c. When I put a dvd or cd in drive Windows XP pro
> > does not recognize that there is a disc in drive bay. Windows Explorer,
> > Media Players or DVD burners say: "Insert disc into drive". If I leave the
> > disc in the bay and restart my computer it will then recognize the disc and
> > proceed normally. This happens to any disc no matter when it was burned or
> > if it is blank. Where is the glitch?
> >
> > Thanks for any help.

Even though the websites you suggested appear to be for "Industrial
(business)" users I filled out the forms and presented my problem to them but
have not gotten any response.

My problem should be easily solved I believe since a good clue is that if I
leave a disc in the drive bay when I boot up everything then works normally.
But, if there is no disc in the drive bay when I boot up, the system does not
recognize any disc I insert.

Ok, Here is my conclusion and or opinion on the matter. Sp2 is a Major
security update and because of this it seems to have affected software and or
hardware in certain cases pertaining to CD or DVD recorder/players and
perhaps other system third party apps and the like. In some cases a reinstall
or update/upgrade of third party software is needed. Or a reconfiguration of
existing system software that was setup by the user over (in some cases) a
year or longer ago. So, basically we as users tend to forget what we did
initially and just notice that it use to work, what's going on? So, I
recommend (it solved my problem) to update/upgrade the burning software you
use, do a firmware update for the recorder (if the OEM has one, or if one
soon will be available) by contacting the original equipment manufacturer by
email as you did or live tech chat or by direct download of the firmware
update. the use of a firmware update has it's risks and a bad update can DOA
a drive. In my case it went well and the Nero 5.5 I use, worked again like a
charm. I was saved from having to upgrade Nero, along with the cost of doing
so. Every situation can be different and some have success uninstalling the
drive and software and reinstalling, that did not seem to work for me,
though. I was not willing to experiment with countless tries and failures
either. I did however find an update for the inbuilt burning software XP uses
and will share it here: http://www.highmat.com/download/

It may be as simple as updating the XP inbuilt, uninstalling your third
party burning software and your drive with a reboot, try then to just use the
inbuilt XP burner on a CD-R too see if you can at least do that..I have not
tried this approach myself, so???
Just to refresh you memory see the link: http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpcd.php

Please, post and let all of us (users) here know your results..

j;-)