sfc /scannow with XP2 and slipstreaming

The XP SP2 that I downloaded from Microsoft is 266MB and the only way to
open it is to extract it which of course has been done but the
KB835935-SP2-ENU does not appear, and all that shows up in the add delete
panel is Windows XP Service Pack 2--no number. So, what do I have? And by
the way, everything is kept up to date.

To run sfc /scannow with SP2, as I understand it, involves slipstreaming and
xpsp2.exe is needed to begin this process.?

Thanks
swl

Here is all you need, again...
http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=1626&page=1
j:-o

"SWL" wrote:

> The XP SP2 that I downloaded from Microsoft is 266MB and the only way to
> open it is to extract it which of course has been done but the
> KB835935-SP2-ENU does not appear, and all that shows up in the add delete
> panel is Windows XP Service Pack 2--no number. So, what do I have? And by
> the way, everything is kept up to date.
>
> To run sfc /scannow with SP2, as I understand it, involves slipstreaming and
> xpsp2.exe is needed to begin this process.?
>
> Thanks
> swl

Sfc /Scannow doesnt need SP2 on the xp cd to run,the scan reads,restores,
and chks original files installed in xp.

SWL wrote:
> The XP SP2 that I downloaded from Microsoft is 266MB and the only
> way to open it is to extract it which of course has been done but the
> KB835935-SP2-ENU does not appear, and all that shows up in the add
> delete panel is Windows XP Service Pack 2--no number. So, what do
> I have? And by the way, everything is kept up to date.
>
> To run sfc /scannow with SP2, as I understand it, involves
> slipstreaming and xpsp2.exe is needed to begin this process.?

Eh?

Make your slipstreamed CD.. (It's known as "Integrating" now.)
Then use your newly made CD to run your command.

This command:
WindowsXP-KB835935-SP2-ENU.exe -s:<path-to-dist-point>

Pretty much does everything you need to do (if you copied your CD to your
computer, blah blah blah..)

http://theeldergeek.com/slipstreamed_xpsp2_cd.htm
or
http://www.neowin.net/articles.php?action=more&id=94

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Shenan:

So if I do all that you suggested in regard to intergrating I will be able
to use sfc /scannow? And re: integrating--I have SP2 installed on my
computer, but it is not integrated. Is this the general idea?

Thanks a lot,

swl

"Shenan Stanley" wrote:

> SWL wrote:
> > The XP SP2 that I downloaded from Microsoft is 266MB and the only
> > way to open it is to extract it which of course has been done but the
> > KB835935-SP2-ENU does not appear, and all that shows up in the add
> > delete panel is Windows XP Service Pack 2--no number. So, what do
> > I have? And by the way, everything is kept up to date.
> >
> > To run sfc /scannow with SP2, as I understand it, involves
> > slipstreaming and xpsp2.exe is needed to begin this process.?
>
> Eh?
>
> Make your slipstreamed CD.. (It's known as "Integrating" now.)
> Then use your newly made CD to run your command.
>
> This command:
> WindowsXP-KB835935-SP2-ENU.exe -s:<path-to-dist-point>
>
> Pretty much does everything you need to do (if you copied your CD to your
> computer, blah blah blah..)
>
> http://theeldergeek.com/slipstreamed_xpsp2_cd.htm
> or
> http://www.neowin.net/articles.php?action=more&id=94
>
> --
> Shenan Stanley
> MS-MVP
> --
> How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

map

Andrew E. wrote:
> Sfc /Scannow doesnt need SP2 on the xp cd to run,the scan
> reads,restores, and chks original files installed in xp.

You are only half right! I thought that you were not going to post B/S here
anymore?

--
Mike Pawlak

Yes, to the first question, regarding the second, if your computer has SP2
installed, then it has been integrated into the system already, because you
are saying it is installed then only you know if it actually is, ok.. If you
want to use sfc /scannow to check your system files as well as the SP2 system
files that were integrated into your system by Windows Update or whatever way
it was installed. You need to Slipstream or integrate your original XP setup
disk with SP2, so, that when running sfc /scannow it will be able to
cross-reference the additional SP2 system files and replace any that may be
corrupted on your system. So, the first thing to do is make the Slipstreamed
CD-R, then run sfc /scannow at the cnd prompt and when prompted for the XP
setup disk, just use the integrated copy...

j;-)

"SWL" <SWL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> The XP SP2 that I downloaded from Microsoft is 266MB and the only way to
> open it is to extract it which of course has been done but the
> KB835935-SP2-ENU does not appear, and all that shows up in the add delete
> panel is Windows XP Service Pack 2--no number. So, what do I have? And
> by
> the way, everything is kept up to date.

Sounds like you installed SP2 if its already in add/remove.

> To run sfc /scannow with SP2, as I understand it, involves slipstreaming
> and
> xpsp2.exe is needed to begin this process.?

Run SFC /Scannow and see what happens.

Fwiw... I have winXP home upgrade 2002 orig version.
used autostreamer to slip in sp2 and make an iso which I burnt to CD then
did a full format/install made windows files on HDD much smaller than the
upgrade.

sfc asked for CD then back and forth repeatedly asked to insert
XP-Home CD and also XP pro sp2 CD
easy fix...
You may be prompted to insert a Windows XP Professional CD when you run the
System File Checker tool in Windows XP Home Edition
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;897128

SFC takes less than ten minutes to run here, no intervention... hands free.