Please Explain Registry Key

HKLM/Software/Microsoft/Security Center/Anti-virus
The right panel entry in question is: AntivirusDisableNotify
The value is (1).
What exactly does this mean?
Does it appear to qualify as a "security threat" (so identified by Spybot
S&D)?
Note that while I once had Microsoft Antivirus (beta) installed, it was
uninstalled about six months ago.
Thanks.
5 answers Last reply
More about please explain registry

    Usually caused by a user unchecking an option in the Windows Security Center
    or using an antivirus program such as McAfee or Norton that takes over the
    function. Having both Security Centers (Windows & Antivirus programs)
    giving the same alerts can cause problems.
    Spybot can be set to ignore supposed security risks if you wish.

    "JD" <Erehwon@Example.com> wrote in message
    > HKLM/Software/Microsoft/Security Center/Anti-virus
    > The right panel entry in question is: AntivirusDisableNotify
    > The value is (1).
    > What exactly does this mean?
    > Does it appear to qualify as a "security threat" (so identified by Spybot
    > S&D)?
    > Note that while I once had Microsoft Antivirus (beta) installed, it was
    > uninstalled about six months ago.
    > Thanks.

    So do I understand that this does not look like a security threat, and that
    the value of (1) means that this function AntivirusDisableNotify is turned
    on?
    Does that mean that if the MSAV (which has been uninstalled) is disabled, I
    will be "notified"?
    What "alerts" are being referenced here?

    > So do I understand that this does not look like a security threat, and
    > that the value of (1) means that this function AntivirusDisableNotify is
    > turned on?

    Yes

    > Does that mean that if the MSAV (which has been uninstalled) is disabled,
    > I will be "notified"?

    MSAV? I am not aware of such a program. Do you mean MSAS (Microsoft
    AntiSpyware)? There will be no "real time" alerts about spyware, malware,
    etc. with it uninstalled. Windows Security Center Alerts will let you know
    when there is not an active Antivirus program running or when there is no
    firewall active. (if the proper options are turned on). AntiVirus programs
    like Norton's and McAfee's can also give these alerts when security levels
    are changed.

    > What "alerts" are being referenced here?
    > "Michael Seidner" <seidnerm@classicnet.net> wrote in message
    >> Usually caused by a user unchecking an option in the Windows Security
    >> Center or using an antivirus program such as McAfee or Norton that takes
    >> over the function. Having both Security Centers (Windows & Antivirus
    >> programs) giving the same alerts can cause problems.
    >> Spybot can be set to ignore supposed security risks if you wish.
    >>
    >> "JD" <Erehwon@Example.com> wrote in message
    >>> HKLM/Software/Microsoft/Security Center/Anti-virus
    >>> The right panel entry in question is: AntivirusDisableNotify
    >>> The value is (1).
    >>> What exactly does this mean?
    >>> Does it appear to qualify as a "security threat" (so identified by
    >>> Spybot S&D)?
    >>> Note that while I once had Microsoft Antivirus (beta) installed, it was
    >>> uninstalled about six months ago.
    >>> Thanks.

    Thank you for the clarification. I did mean Microsoft Antispyware. So it
    appears that the registry entry is what it should be. I suspect that this
    could be a "false flag," such as has occurred before with Spybot.
    I don't know what Spybot would have done if I had clicked "Fix," but I don't
    think I'll take the chance of finding out.

    > "JD" <Erehwon@Example.com> wrote in message
    >> So do I understand that this does not look like a security threat, and
    >> that the value of (1) means that this function AntivirusDisableNotify is
    >> turned on?
    >
    > Yes
    >

    >> Does that mean that if the MSAV (which has been uninstalled) is disabled,
    >> I will be "notified"?
    >
    > MSAV? I am not aware of such a program. Do you mean MSAS (Microsoft
    > AntiSpyware)? There will be no "real time" alerts about spyware, malware,
    > etc. with it uninstalled. Windows Security Center Alerts will let you
    > know when there is not an active Antivirus program running or when there
    > is no firewall active. (if the proper options are turned on). AntiVirus
    > programs like Norton's and McAfee's can also give these alerts when
    > security levels are changed.
    >
    >> What "alerts" are being referenced here?
    >> "Michael Seidner" <seidnerm@classicnet.net> wrote in message
    >>> Usually caused by a user unchecking an option in the Windows Security
    >>> Center or using an antivirus program such as McAfee or Norton that takes
    >>> over the function. Having both Security Centers (Windows & Antivirus
    >>> programs) giving the same alerts can cause problems.
    >>> Spybot can be set to ignore supposed security risks if you wish.
    >>>
    >>> "JD" <Erehwon@Example.com> wrote in message

    Probably, your Antivirus software would alert you to the fact that you might
    be having two different security centers monitoring the same things and give
    you the option of keeping it that way or just having the Antivirus security
    center do the alerts.

    > Thank you for the clarification. I did mean Microsoft Antispyware. So it
    > appears that the registry entry is what it should be. I suspect that this
    > could be a "false flag," such as has occurred before with Spybot.
    > I don't know what Spybot would have done if I had clicked "Fix," but I
    > don't think I'll take the chance of finding out.
    > "Michael Seidner" <seidnerm@classicnet.net> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "JD" <Erehwon@Example.com> wrote in message
    >>> So do I understand that this does not look like a security threat, and
    >>> that the value of (1) means that this function AntivirusDisableNotify is
    >>> turned on?
    >>
    >> Yes
    >>

    >>> Does that mean that if the MSAV (which has been uninstalled) is
    >>> disabled, I will be "notified"?
    >>
    >> MSAV? I am not aware of such a program. Do you mean MSAS (Microsoft
    >> AntiSpyware)? There will be no "real time" alerts about spyware,
    >> malware, etc. with it uninstalled. Windows Security Center Alerts will
    >> let you know when there is not an active Antivirus program running or
    >> when there is no firewall active. (if the proper options are turned on).
    >> AntiVirus programs like Norton's and McAfee's can also give these alerts
    >> when security levels are changed.
    >>
    >>> What "alerts" are being referenced here?
    >>> "Michael Seidner" <seidnerm@classicnet.net> wrote in message

Security Microsoft Registry Windows XP