Can't access a folder

July 29, 2005 11:09:28 AM

Can someone help me access a folder under "Documents and Settings". It
says access denied.

My computer had a melt down yesterday (literally). I had two accounts
set up, one that was password protected and a guest account. I bought
a new computer and an enclosure to put my old hard drive in so I could
access the data on it. Unfortunately, all the documents that I need
are under the account that is password protected and it won't let me at
them. What do I do?

More about : access folder

Anonymous
July 29, 2005 4:38:21 PM

HOW TO Take Ownership of a File or Folder in Windows XP: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;Q308421

--
Mark L. Ferguson
"Steve" <molokaisteve@juno.com> wrote in message news:1122646168.303370.190110@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> Can someone help me access a folder under "Documents and Settings". It
> says access denied.
>
> My computer had a melt down yesterday (literally). I had two accounts
> set up, one that was password protected and a guest account. I bought
> a new computer and an enclosure to put my old hard drive in so I could
> access the data on it. Unfortunately, all the documents that I need
> are under the account that is password protected and it won't let me at
> them. What do I do?

July 29, 2005 11:07:01 PM

Hey Steve!

Did this work for you? I am in the same boat.

Hello. Mark!

I have XP Media Center on my husband's PC. He is signed in with an account
that is set up as the computer administrator, but when I right click on the
file I can't access, and then select properties, I don't get any kind of tab
that offers any Security options. The article you referenced says to start
the PC in Safe Mode to access the Administrator account. That's for XP Home
and he's already logged as the PC admin. Am I missing something here?

Thanks for your help!

Karen

"Mark L. Ferguson" wrote:

> HOW TO Take Ownership of a File or Folder in Windows XP: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;Q308421
>
> --
> Mark L. Ferguson
> "Steve" <molokaisteve@juno.com> wrote in message news:1122646168.303370.190110@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> > Can someone help me access a folder under "Documents and Settings". It
> > says access denied.
> >
> > My computer had a melt down yesterday (literally). I had two accounts
> > set up, one that was password protected and a guest account. I bought
> > a new computer and an enclosure to put my old hard drive in so I could
> > access the data on it. Unfortunately, all the documents that I need
> > are under the account that is password protected and it won't let me at
> > them. What do I do?

Related resources
July 30, 2005 1:26:16 AM

With XP Pro you have to disable simple file sharing to see the security tab
and with XP Home you have to boot in safe mode to see the security tab.

"Karen" <Karen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hey Steve!
>
> Did this work for you? I am in the same boat.
>
> Hello. Mark!
>
> I have XP Media Center on my husband's PC. He is signed in with an account
> that is set up as the computer administrator, but when I right click on
> the
> file I can't access, and then select properties, I don't get any kind of
> tab
> that offers any Security options. The article you referenced says to start
> the PC in Safe Mode to access the Administrator account. That's for XP
> and he's already logged as the PC admin. Am I missing something here?
>
> Thanks for your help!
>
> Karen
>
> "Mark L. Ferguson" wrote:
>
>> HOW TO Take Ownership of a File or Folder in Windows XP:
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;Q308421
>>
>> --
>> Mark L. Ferguson
>> FAQ for Windows Antispy
>> "Steve" <molokaisteve@juno.com> wrote in message
>> > Can someone help me access a folder under "Documents and Settings". It
>> > says access denied.
>> >
>> > My computer had a melt down yesterday (literally). I had two accounts
>> > set up, one that was password protected and a guest account. I bought
>> > a new computer and an enclosure to put my old hard drive in so I could
>> > access the data on it. Unfortunately, all the documents that I need
>> > are under the account that is password protected and it won't let me at
>> > them. What do I do?

August 1, 2005 12:09:04 PM

Thanks, Ricky.

I've read that information in the article, but that doesn't tell me about
what you need to do when you don't have XP Home or XP Pro. I have XP Media
Center. I that the equivalent of Home or XP?

"Ricky" wrote:

> With XP Pro you have to disable simple file sharing to see the security tab
> and with XP Home you have to boot in safe mode to see the security tab.
>
> "Karen" <Karen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hey Steve!
> >
> > Did this work for you? I am in the same boat.
> >
> > Hello. Mark!
> >
> > I have XP Media Center on my husband's PC. He is signed in with an account
> > that is set up as the computer administrator, but when I right click on
> > the
> > file I can't access, and then select properties, I don't get any kind of
> > tab
> > that offers any Security options. The article you referenced says to start
> > the PC in Safe Mode to access the Administrator account. That's for XP
> > and he's already logged as the PC admin. Am I missing something here?
> >
> > Thanks for your help!
> >
> > Karen
> >
> > "Mark L. Ferguson" wrote:
> >
> >> HOW TO Take Ownership of a File or Folder in Windows XP:
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;Q308421
> >>
> >> --
> >> Mark L. Ferguson
> >> FAQ for Windows Antispy
> >> http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/FAQ_MSantispy.htm
> >> "Steve" <molokaisteve@juno.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
August 1, 2005 2:25:43 PM

Karen wrote:
> Thanks, Ricky.
>
> I've read that information in the article, but that doesn't tell me
> about what you need to do when you don't have XP Home or XP Pro. I
> have XP Media Center. I that the equivalent of Home or XP?

Pro

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP