Dell Dimension 8400 Opinions

Hello all, I am new to this site and have a question for ya. My
company has a deal with Dell and I can get an 8400 fairly cheap I
suppose, I am trying to get some feedback on how good the machine is.
I am looking at getting the P4 3.2GHz, 1GHz DDR2 @ 533MHz, 250GB HD @
7200rpm (would rather have a 10000rpm but they say its not available),
Dual Drives: 48x CD-RW Drive + 16x DVD+/-RW w/dbl layer write
capability, 128MB PCI Express™ x16 (DVI/VGA/TV-out) ATI Radeon™ X300
SE. Now, to me running a Dell Latitude CPXj 750 maxed out with
processor and 512MB RAM, this machine sounds insanly awesome. Just
trying to bouce this off someone and get a good idea of if the
quality of the 8400, from chipset, performancce, RAM, loudness,
quietness... anything and everything I can find out before I buy one.
Thanks in adavance.
6 answers Last reply
More about dell dimension 8400 opinions

    On 19 May 2005 20:33:56 -0400,
    ringfinger2763@comcast-dot-net.no-spam.invalid (ringfinger) wrote:

    >Hello all, I am new to this site and have a question for ya. My
    >company has a deal with Dell and I can get an 8400 fairly cheap I
    >suppose, I am trying to get some feedback on how good the machine is.
    > I am looking at getting the P4 3.2GHz, 1GHz DDR2 @ 533MHz, 250GB HD @
    >7200rpm (would rather have a 10000rpm but they say its not available),
    >Dual Drives: 48x CD-RW Drive + 16x DVD+/-RW w/dbl layer write
    >capability, 128MB PCI Express™ x16 (DVI/VGA/TV-out) ATI Radeon™ X300
    >SE. Now, to me running a Dell Latitude CPXj 750 maxed out with
    >processor and 512MB RAM, this machine sounds insanly awesome. Just
    >trying to bouce this off someone and get a good idea of if the
    >quality of the 8400, from chipset, performancce, RAM, loudness,
    >quietness... anything and everything I can find out before I buy one.
    > Thanks in adavance.

    If you intend on doing any gaming , get a 256 video card rather than
    128 and don't let them install Norton. Also the 3.4 Gig is faster
    without much difference in price.

    Bob

    Thanks. I am overdue for an upgrade, just want to make sure I'm
    getting my money's worth. As far as the better vid card goes do you
    think it'd be better to get the 256 one that Dell is offering or
    should I just get a generic one and drain some cash into a card from
    somewhere else? Thanks.

    I have the same machine. Have had it a couple weeks now. It's quiet till
    my old WD backup drive kicks in. I never realized how loud the other
    machine was. Asking advice here before my purchase, several suggested just
    getting the one DVD dual layering burner drive since it can do it all. So
    that's what I did. So far I haven't missed the extra drive. I'm very
    pleased with it performance. I haven't run any benchmark tests but it's
    doing what I want it to a lot whole lot faster than my P3 700 did so I'm a
    happy camper :) Oh and I have USB ports coming out of my ears! <lol> No
    more need for a hub. Six on back of the box, 2 on front, 2 on the
    UltraSharp 20" flat panel widescreen and 2 on the keyboard :) A this point,
    I have 5 open. The only upgrade I've done on it so far wasn't as user
    friendly as my previous Dell. In order to install my old hard drive, I had
    to use expansion brackets to fit the drive into a CD bay because the cables
    wouldn't reach to the hdd bay. If I ever want to install another CD drive,
    I'll have to run a long ribbon cable and power line to the hdd bay adn move
    the hard drive again. It was suggested I go the route I did because the
    extra ribbon would cut down on air flow :o
    Monica
    "ringfinger" <ringfinger2763@comcast-dot-net.no-spam.invalid> wrote in
    message news:428f62cc$1_4@alt.athenanews.com...
    > Thanks. I am overdue for an upgrade, just want to make sure I'm
    > getting my money's worth. As far as the better vid card goes do you
    > think it'd be better to get the 256 one that Dell is offering or
    > should I just get a generic one and drain some cash into a card from
    > somewhere else? Thanks.

    On 19 May 2005 20:33:56 -0400,
    ringfinger2763@comcast-dot-net.no-spam.invalid (ringfinger) wrote:

    >Hello all, I am new to this site and have a question for ya. My
    >company has a deal with Dell and I can get an 8400 fairly cheap I
    >suppose, I am trying to get some feedback on how good the machine is.
    > I am looking at getting the P4 3.2GHz, 1GHz DDR2 @ 533MHz, 250GB HD @
    >7200rpm (would rather have a 10000rpm but they say its not available),
    >Dual Drives: 48x CD-RW Drive + 16x DVD+/-RW w/dbl layer write
    >capability, 128MB PCI Express™ x16 (DVI/VGA/TV-out) ATI Radeon™ X300
    >SE. Now, to me running a Dell Latitude CPXj 750 maxed out with
    >processor and 512MB RAM, this machine sounds insanly awesome. Just
    >trying to bouce this off someone and get a good idea of if the
    >quality of the 8400, from chipset, performancce, RAM, loudness,
    >quietness... anything and everything I can find out before I buy one.
    > Thanks in adavance.

    Ditto on Capt. Bob's post. If your going to play games you'll want a
    different video card. I have an 8400 very similar to the one you
    listed but have a GeForce 6800 GTO video card. Play games silky
    smooth :-) I really like my 8400.

    Mike

    On 21 May 2005 12:33:16 -0400,
    ringfinger2763@comcast-dot-net.no-spam.invalid (ringfinger) wrote:

    >Thanks. I am overdue for an upgrade, just want to make sure I'm
    >getting my money's worth. As far as the better vid card goes do you
    >think it'd be better to get the 256 one that Dell is offering or
    >should I just get a generic one and drain some cash into a card from
    >somewhere else? Thanks.

    Personally I like Nvidia cards but that is all more or less personal
    preference. I have a GeForce 6800 GTO w/256. If you buy a standard
    6800 GT aftermarket your gonna pay around $300. Difference between
    the GTO and the GT is slower clock speed of the memory on the GTO, but
    it still has faster memory than a standard 6800.

    You can find some benchmark comparisons for video cards here ...

    http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20041222/index.html

    Mike

    Thanks all.

Dell Dimension Computers