Logon/Logoff souns play for no reason when idle

tomcage9

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2005

Hello, I am hoping someone here can help me solve this problem.

When my computer is left idle, is it set to enable password protection on
resume. Recently, while the "This computer has been locked and is in use" bos
is showing, occasionally the Windows XP Logon and Logoff sounds have been
playing for no particular reason. Usually this happens once every 10 minutes
or so, but I have not timed it. The Logoff sound plays first, followed by the
Logon sound playing twice a few seconds after.

Yesterday I waited until it locked itself, and then waited for the sounds to
start playing so that I could unlock it and see what was happening on my
desktop, however when the time came, I interupted the sounds playing and
everything seemed normal underneath!

I hope I have made the problem easy to understand, and I await in
anticipation for any ideas...

My guess would be a remote logon. That can be disabled, but if someone is logging on, it's likely malicious damage has been done
already.
You enable or disable Remote Desktop at : start/run, type: sysdm.cpl

--
Mark L. Ferguson
"tomcage9" <tomcage9@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4EBAEA92-7E05-4912-BD3E-DC2E4A2573B9@microsoft.com...
> Hello, I am hoping someone here can help me solve this problem.
>
> When my computer is left idle, is it set to enable password protection on
> resume. Recently, while the "This computer has been locked and is in use" bos
> is showing, occasionally the Windows XP Logon and Logoff sounds have been
> playing for no particular reason. Usually this happens once every 10 minutes
> or so, but I have not timed it. The Logoff sound plays first, followed by the
> Logon sound playing twice a few seconds after.
>
> Yesterday I waited until it locked itself, and then waited for the sounds to
> start playing so that I could unlock it and see what was happening on my
> desktop, however when the time came, I interupted the sounds playing and
> everything seemed normal underneath!
>
> I hope I have made the problem easy to understand, and I await in
> anticipation for any ideas...

tomcage9

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2005

Thanks for your reply, but I think I have solved the problem now. Somehow my
display and screensaver settings seem to have been messed up, but I have now
reset everything to the default "Windows XP" setting, and everything seems OK
now.