Windows XP Auto Update + Fire wall

July 29, 2005 1:13:05 PM

In Windows XP with SP 1, and later installed service pack 2 which has auto
update enabled.
The Norton Antivirus was also working fine and the intenet connection had no
problem

After some windows updates were installed automatically and the computer
restarted the following errors are noted .Kindly do give a solution.

1.An error Symantec Email Proxy comes up and the Antivirus is Auto protect
is disabled, after manually enabling the Auot protect it works.

2. An error Cannot load phone book Error 5 appears.

3.The Internet connection does not work and the error 720 is shown.

4.The Security center says Firewall is disabled. When we manually try to
enable it to through the services, Could not start the Windows
Firewall?Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) service on local computer.Error
2.The system cannot find the specified file.

Please help as soon as possible. A detailed mail to solve the problem would
be appreciated. I am a computer techninican trying to solve this at a
customer's place.
my email mayman_2005@hotmail.com
Kindly d o help me to the solve the above problems
Anonymous
July 30, 2005 10:45:20 AM

1 , 2, I know no solution for Norton's.

3 the netsh command in SP2 can rebuild your Winsock. Open the command prompt and type: netsh winsock reset , then press ENTER.
4 Why does the Windows Security Center say that the status of my Norton security product is unknown:
http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/sp2/faq.html#9

--
Mark L. Ferguson
"MAYMAN" <MAYMAN@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0D3BF8BC-1D72-4233-861D-27FEDAF094E6@microsoft.com...
> In Windows XP with SP 1, and later installed service pack 2 which has auto
> update enabled.
> The Norton Antivirus was also working fine and the intenet connection had no
> problem
>
> After some windows updates were installed automatically and the computer
> restarted the following errors are noted .Kindly do give a solution.
>
> 1.An error Symantec Email Proxy comes up and the Antivirus is Auto protect
> is disabled, after manually enabling the Auot protect it works.
>
> 2. An error Cannot load phone book Error 5 appears.
>
> 3.The Internet connection does not work and the error 720 is shown.
>
> 4.The Security center says Firewall is disabled. When we manually try to
> enable it to through the services, Could not start the Windows
> Firewall?Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) service on local computer.Error
> 2.The system cannot find the specified file.
>
> Please help as soon as possible. A detailed mail to solve the problem would
> be appreciated. I am a computer techninican trying to solve this at a
> customer's place.
> my email mayman_2005@hotmail.com
> Kindly d o help me to the solve the above problems

Anonymous
July 31, 2005 1:46:08 AM

i would try it and get back pls

"Mark L. Ferguson" wrote:

> 1 , 2, I know no solution for Norton's.
>
> 3 the netsh command in SP2 can rebuild your Winsock. Open the command prompt and type: netsh winsock reset , then press ENTER.
> 4 Why does the Windows Security Center say that the status of my Norton security product is unknown:
> http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/sp2/faq.html#9
>

> --
> Mark L. Ferguson
> "MAYMAN" <MAYMAN@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0D3BF8BC-1D72-4233-861D-27FEDAF094E6@microsoft.com...
> > In Windows XP with SP 1, and later installed service pack 2 which has auto
> > update enabled.
> > The Norton Antivirus was also working fine and the intenet connection had no
> > problem
> >
> > After some windows updates were installed automatically and the computer
> > restarted the following errors are noted .Kindly do give a solution.
> >
> > 1.An error Symantec Email Proxy comes up and the Antivirus is Auto protect
> > is disabled, after manually enabling the Auot protect it works.
> >
> > 2. An error Cannot load phone book Error 5 appears.
> >
> > 3.The Internet connection does not work and the error 720 is shown.
> >
> > 4.The Security center says Firewall is disabled. When we manually try to
> > enable it to through the services, Could not start the Windows
> > Firewall?Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) service on local computer.Error
> > 2.The system cannot find the specified file.
> >
> > Please help as soon as possible. A detailed mail to solve the problem would
> > be appreciated. I am a computer techninican trying to solve this at a
> > customer's place.
> > my email mayman_2005@hotmail.com
> > Kindly d o help me to the solve the above problems

July 31, 2005 8:03:01 AM

Dear Mark,

I tired wht you said reg the netsh winsock reset, but still the modem
connects and soon it disconnects giving the Error 720.
Mark please od try to help me out regarding the Firewall isue. I had
uninstalled NortonAntivirus, and reinstalled XP SP2. buts still the message
keeps coming of File missing when i try to start the Windows Firewall/ICS
service.

hoping to get a response with a detailed solution

Thanks
mayman_2005@hotmail.com

"Mark L. Ferguson" wrote:

> 1 , 2, I know no solution for Norton's.
>
> 3 the netsh command in SP2 can rebuild your Winsock. Open the command prompt and type: netsh winsock reset , then press ENTER.
> 4 Why does the Windows Security Center say that the status of my Norton security product is unknown:
> http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/sp2/faq.html#9
>

> --
> Mark L. Ferguson
> "MAYMAN" <MAYMAN@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0D3BF8BC-1D72-4233-861D-27FEDAF094E6@microsoft.com...
> > In Windows XP with SP 1, and later installed service pack 2 which has auto
> > update enabled.
> > The Norton Antivirus was also working fine and the intenet connection had no
> > problem
> >
> > After some windows updates were installed automatically and the computer
> > restarted the following errors are noted .Kindly do give a solution.
> >
> > 1.An error Symantec Email Proxy comes up and the Antivirus is Auto protect
> > is disabled, after manually enabling the Auot protect it works.
> >
> > 2. An error Cannot load phone book Error 5 appears.
> >
> > 3.The Internet connection does not work and the error 720 is shown.
> >
> > 4.The Security center says Firewall is disabled. When we manually try to
> > enable it to through the services, Could not start the Windows
> > Firewall?Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) service on local computer.Error
> > 2.The system cannot find the specified file.
> >
> > Please help as soon as possible. A detailed mail to solve the problem would
> > be appreciated. I am a computer techninican trying to solve this at a
> > customer's place.
> > my email mayman_2005@hotmail.com
> > Kindly d o help me to the solve the above problems

Anonymous
July 31, 2005 10:11:23 AM

To repair all system files, go to Start/Run, and type: SFC /SCANNOW

--
Mark L. Ferguson

!