Is this a graphics card problem?

G

I recently installed a GeoForce2/64mb card.
About a week later I noticed that sometimes (frequently) a window will no longer be able to get focus and I have to ctrl+alt+delete and use task manager to close it. (Win2000 Service Pack: 2)

I installed the lastest Detenator (sp?) driver for the card.
Here are my questions:

1) I heard that the AGP slot was underpowered for this particular card. Does that sound plausible?

2) Somebody suggested that I "properly" unistall my old video drivers. What does that entail?

3) Any other clues as to what could be causing this odd behavior? I recently put in a new 256MB DIMM, but doubt that is the problem because it passes the memory tests.

polaris

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
What was your old card?
GFX card drivers are risdual and preferably removed by starting from scratch (reinstall windows) as removing all components is a lengthy and tidious task.
They do cause some probs but not that I heard of as you describe.
How much use over the week it was working ok?
Would expect a Graphics prob to be imediate rather than delayed unless it wasn't stressed until you noticed the prob.

Polaris

G

The old card was an ATI (I believe).

I talked to another tech dude on the phone and he said the board I'm using won't play nice with a GeoForce2/64mb 'cause the AGP slot isn't up to par with the 4x.

I guess I thought a card would be somewhat backwards compatible with a 2yr. old board.

So is the recommendation here to wipe the drive and reinstall Win2000 so that every trace of the old drivers are blown away?

- My Computer Uses Me -