Xterasys - wireless wi-fi PCMCIA card is completly worthle..

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

I found a great - $17 (including S&H) PCMCIA wi-fi card: Xterasys from
www.xterasys.com. The card looks very nice, comes with CD and drivers
for WinXP, Win2000, WinMe and Win98. No driver is working on my Sony
Vaio laptop - all drives are in loop, telling me that "setting a
system restore point and backing up old files in case your system
needs to be restored in the future." - after 1/2 hour of waiting I
gave up.
If it is too good to be true - it is not true!!!
And the address www.xterasys.com is a joke - the sad one :-----((

Zalek
4 answers Last reply
More about xterasys wireless pcmcia card completly worthle
  1. Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

    In alt.internet.wireless zalekbloom@hotmail.com wrote:
    > And the address www.xterasys.com is a joke - the sad one :-----((

    I guess I don't see the joke. The web site looks nice enough.
    http://www.xterasys.com/drivers.htm
    shows various drivers being available.
    Isn't your FCCID on the list?

    --
    ---
  2. Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

    dold@XterasysX-.usenet.us.com wrote in message news:<c81971$gm0$2@blue.rahul.net>...
    > In alt.internet.wireless zalekbloom@hotmail.com wrote:
    > > And the address www.xterasys.com is a joke - the sad one :-----((
    >
    > I guess I don't see the joke. The web site looks nice enough.
    > http://www.xterasys.com/drivers.htm
    > shows various drivers being available.
    > Isn't your FCCID on the list?

    Ouuups - I made mistake and looked on www.xtrasys.com instead.
    I found my card drivers, but it didn't help much. Actually - I
    succeded to install a card driver - it takes more then 1/2 hour - I
    forgot about computer, went to watch TV and when I come back I got a
    message about successfull instalation. Now I try to install utility to
    manage this card - 20 minutes and no response. On my network
    properties I am missing 802.11b protocol.
    Another problem is that 3 different manuals describe 3 different ways
    to install the card. Manual included with card says: "Do not insert
    the Wireless PC Card into your computer until the procedures in
    "Install the Driver & Utility" has been performed". Manual from CDRom
    says to install card first then to install the driver, manual from the
    web site says to start with utility instalation - very confusing.

    Zalek
  3. Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

    Sounds more to me like you don't know what you are doing

    On 14 May 2004 03:53:31 -0700, zalekbloom@hotmail.com wrote:

    >dold@XterasysX-.usenet.us.com wrote in message news:<c81971$gm0$2@blue.rahul.net>...
    >> In alt.internet.wireless zalekbloom@hotmail.com wrote:
    >> > And the address www.xterasys.com is a joke - the sad one :-----((
    >>
    >> I guess I don't see the joke. The web site looks nice enough.
    >> http://www.xterasys.com/drivers.htm
    >> shows various drivers being available.
    >> Isn't your FCCID on the list?
    >
    >Ouuups - I made mistake and looked on www.xtrasys.com instead.
    >I found my card drivers, but it didn't help much. Actually - I
    >succeded to install a card driver - it takes more then 1/2 hour - I
    >forgot about computer, went to watch TV and when I come back I got a
    >message about successfull instalation. Now I try to install utility to
    >manage this card - 20 minutes and no response. On my network
    >properties I am missing 802.11b protocol.
    >Another problem is that 3 different manuals describe 3 different ways
    >to install the card. Manual included with card says: "Do not insert
    >the Wireless PC Card into your computer until the procedures in
    >"Install the Driver & Utility" has been performed". Manual from CDRom
    >says to install card first then to install the driver, manual from the
    >web site says to start with utility instalation - very confusing.
    >
    >Zalek
  4. Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

    In alt.internet.wireless zalekbloom@hotmail.com wrote:
    > Another problem is that 3 different manuals describe 3 different ways
    > to install the card. Manual included with card says: "Do not insert
    > the Wireless PC Card into your computer until the procedures in

    I would go with the "Do Not Insert" variety. Windows XP has lots of
    generic drivers that will install automatically, and you might not want
    that. I would download the latest drivers from the vendor web site,
    install the drivers, install the utility, plug in the device, and go from
    there.

    The D-Link DWL-122 USB mini-Wifi even says to install the drivers, shutdown
    the computer, connect the device, and boot the computer.

    --
    ---

Wireless WiFi PCMCIA Wireless Networking