Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Xterasys - wireless wi-fi PCMCIA card is completly worthle..

Last response: in Wireless Networking
Share
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
May 13, 2004 9:25:36 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

I found a great - $17 (including S&H) PCMCIA wi-fi card: Xterasys from
www.xterasys.com. The card looks very nice, comes with CD and drivers
for WinXP, Win2000, WinMe and Win98. No driver is working on my Sony
Vaio laptop - all drives are in loop, telling me that "setting a
system restore point and backing up old files in case your system
needs to be restored in the future." - after 1/2 hour of waiting I
gave up.
If it is too good to be true - it is not true!!!
And the address www.xterasys.com is a joke - the sad one :-----((

Zalek
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
May 14, 2004 6:00:02 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

In alt.internet.wireless zalekbloom@hotmail.com wrote:
> And the address www.xterasys.com is a joke - the sad one :-----((

I guess I don't see the joke. The web site looks nice enough.
http://www.xterasys.com/drivers.htm
shows various drivers being available.
Isn't your FCCID on the list?


--
---
Clarence A Dold - Hidden Valley (Lake County) CA USA 38.8-122.5
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
May 14, 2004 7:53:31 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

dold@XterasysX-.usenet.us.com wrote in message news:<c81971$gm0$2@blue.rahul.net>...
> In alt.internet.wireless zalekbloom@hotmail.com wrote:
> > And the address www.xterasys.com is a joke - the sad one :-----((
>
> I guess I don't see the joke. The web site looks nice enough.
> http://www.xterasys.com/drivers.htm
> shows various drivers being available.
> Isn't your FCCID on the list?

Ouuups - I made mistake and looked on www.xtrasys.com instead.
I found my card drivers, but it didn't help much. Actually - I
succeded to install a card driver - it takes more then 1/2 hour - I
forgot about computer, went to watch TV and when I come back I got a
message about successfull instalation. Now I try to install utility to
manage this card - 20 minutes and no response. On my network
properties I am missing 802.11b protocol.
Another problem is that 3 different manuals describe 3 different ways
to install the card. Manual included with card says: "Do not insert
the Wireless PC Card into your computer until the procedures in
"Install the Driver & Utility" has been performed". Manual from CDRom
says to install card first then to install the driver, manual from the
web site says to start with utility instalation - very confusing.

Zalek
Related resources
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
May 15, 2004 2:52:55 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

Sounds more to me like you don't know what you are doing

On 14 May 2004 03:53:31 -0700, zalekbloom@hotmail.com wrote:

>dold@XterasysX-.usenet.us.com wrote in message news:<c81971$gm0$2@blue.rahul.net>...
>> In alt.internet.wireless zalekbloom@hotmail.com wrote:
>> > And the address www.xterasys.com is a joke - the sad one :-----((
>>
>> I guess I don't see the joke. The web site looks nice enough.
>> http://www.xterasys.com/drivers.htm
>> shows various drivers being available.
>> Isn't your FCCID on the list?
>
>Ouuups - I made mistake and looked on www.xtrasys.com instead.
>I found my card drivers, but it didn't help much. Actually - I
>succeded to install a card driver - it takes more then 1/2 hour - I
>forgot about computer, went to watch TV and when I come back I got a
>message about successfull instalation. Now I try to install utility to
>manage this card - 20 minutes and no response. On my network
>properties I am missing 802.11b protocol.
>Another problem is that 3 different manuals describe 3 different ways
>to install the card. Manual included with card says: "Do not insert
>the Wireless PC Card into your computer until the procedures in
>"Install the Driver & Utility" has been performed". Manual from CDRom
>says to install card first then to install the driver, manual from the
>web site says to start with utility instalation - very confusing.
>
>Zalek
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
May 15, 2004 6:00:25 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

In alt.internet.wireless zalekbloom@hotmail.com wrote:
> Another problem is that 3 different manuals describe 3 different ways
> to install the card. Manual included with card says: "Do not insert
> the Wireless PC Card into your computer until the procedures in

I would go with the "Do Not Insert" variety. Windows XP has lots of
generic drivers that will install automatically, and you might not want
that. I would download the latest drivers from the vendor web site,
install the drivers, install the utility, plug in the device, and go from
there.

The D-Link DWL-122 USB mini-Wifi even says to install the drivers, shutdown
the computer, connect the device, and boot the computer.

--
---
Clarence A Dold - Hidden Valley (Lake County) CA USA 38.8-122.5
!