Internet Explorer XP SP1

Lee10455

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2002
Ok I can connect to the internet just fine go to any site I want no problem. I can use search engines on specific sites like toms hardware ect. ect. However when I go onto yahoo, google, msn, and any of the other main search engines, whenever I search for anything I get a 404 page cannot be found. What in the hell is going on. I am virus free. I removed all ad ware and spy ware I think. I am at a total loss. Please help!!!

DanielR

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2001
you probably havn't removed all the malware. Sounds like you got a denial of service attack.

what prog are u using to scan and get rid of spyware ect?

who ever has the most ram when they die wins!

Lee10455

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2002
SDSL 768k up & down, behind a router at work. The weird thing is everyone else in the office can search fine. I am the Network admin for the office. I am running the symantec small business server off of my machine. I don't think that would cause anything funky.

goblinking

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2003
It's a longshot, but have you checked that the search string isn't being garbled? Maybe the address of the search page is being altered somehow... try doing the same search on the faulty machine and one that works, and see if the address it brings up is different?

goblinking

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2003
Also, some spyware has the ability to force searches to use *their* search engine, which may be your problem, especially since you say it's affecting the MAIN search engines. Try running both adaware *and* spybot.

Lee10455

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2002
Finally fixed it. I found a post in another forum it turned out to be the QHOSTS-1 virus and it seems to be going rampant. I think what happened is that norton found it and deleted it but did not repair the damage. The removal tool I dled from symantec did not find the virus on my system but I looked in the log file and it fixed some of my registry entries.

Thanks to everyone for their help.

here are the entries if anyone is interested

Deleted the value "NameServer" from the registry key
"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\VxD\MSTCP".
Deleted the value "EnableDNS" from the registry key
Deleted the value "Domain" from the registry key
The value "HostName" of the registry key
"SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\VxD\MSTCP"
is set to "Administrator".
Trojan.Qhosts has not been found on your computer.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Lee10455 on 10/16/03 06:48 PM.</EM></FONT></P>