CPU spikes

a b à CPUs
July 29, 2005 2:15:02 PM

When I start windows, the music that plays when I start up windows sounds
like it "lags" or it skips. When I try to run programs my mouse jitters and
"lags" similar to the start up music. When I took a look at the CPU Usage
History, it showed spikes in CPU usage when I am not running any programs or
any music. It seems something is causing the computer to use a lot of the
processing power and I can't seem to point out what it is, cause nothing I
did would seem to cause something like this. What could I do to help solve
this problem, or what steps do I take to find out what the problem is?

More about : cpu spikes

July 29, 2005 7:03:08 PM

In news:CB96034F-F0C1-4D31-9BCD-BCBCF5ADDA05@microsoft.com,
RC Mogan <RC Mogan@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

> When I start windows, the music that plays when I start up windows
> sounds like it "lags" or it skips. When I try to run programs my
> mouse jitters and "lags" similar to the start up music. When I took a
> look at the CPU Usage History, it showed spikes in CPU usage when I
> am not running any programs or any music. It seems something is
> causing the computer to use a lot of the processing power and I can't
> seem to point out what it is, cause nothing I did would seem to cause
> something like this. What could I do to help solve this problem, or
> what steps do I take to find out what the problem is?

Without additional information the first suggestion I'd offer would be to
check for malware. Does the system display these same symptoms in safe mode?

Malware Cleaning :
http://kgiii.info/windows/all/general/malwarefix.html

Galen

without them."

Sherlock Holmes
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
July 31, 2005 12:35:01 AM

RC Mogan wrote:
> When I start windows, the music that plays when I start up windows
> sounds like it "lags" or it skips. When I try to run programs my
> mouse jitters and "lags" similar to the start up music. When I took a
> look at the CPU Usage History, it showed spikes in CPU usage when I
> am not running any programs or any music. It seems something is
> causing the computer to use a lot of the processing power and I can't
> seem to point out what it is, cause nothing I did would seem to cause
> something like this. What could I do to help solve this problem, or
> what steps do I take to find out what the problem is?

Sounds like spyware to me..... and while you are at it... run a virus scan
as well.
--
Use these spyware scanners to erraticate your spyware problem:
*Make sure you check for spyware definition updates for all of these

Spybot Search & Destroy 1.4
http://www.safer-networking.org

Ad-Aware SE 1.06 Personal
http://www.lavasoftusa.com

Spyware Blaster 3.4

Spy Sweeper 4.0.3 Build 405
http://www.webroot.com

XoftSpy 4.15
http://www.paretologic.com

CWShredder 2.15*
http://www.intermute.com/spysubtract/cwshredder_downloa...

* = Use the standalone version of CWShredder.
!