Folder Keeps Appearing on Startup

Hello! I seem to get a WINDOWS/SYSTEM32 folder appearing on the desktop
everytime the computer starts up. Any ideas on how to prevent this from
happening? Thanks very much!
11 answers Last reply
More about folder appearing startup

    System32 Folder Opens When Logging on to Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=170086

    For an automated Edit go here:

    Read the instructions at the top of the page.
    Scroll down to:
    260. Right hand side.
    System32 Folder Opens Upon Boot

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:031B5962-D226-4A39-9298-433CD508B4D9@microsoft.com,
    Sid <Sid@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > Hello! I seem to get a WINDOWS/SYSTEM32 folder appearing on the desktop
    > everytime the computer starts up. Any ideas on how to prevent this from
    > happening? Thanks very much!

    Hey thanks for your help but the tweak doesn't work - it's says the expected
    registry value does not exist

    "Wesley Vogel" wrote:

    > System32 Folder Opens When Logging on to Windows XP
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=170086
    >
    > For an automated Edit go here:
    >
    > Read the instructions at the top of the page.
    > Scroll down to:
    > 260. Right hand side.
    > System32 Folder Opens Upon Boot
    >
    > --
    > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >
    > Wes
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >
    > In news:031B5962-D226-4A39-9298-433CD508B4D9@microsoft.com,
    > Sid <Sid@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > > Hello! I seem to get a WINDOWS/SYSTEM32 folder appearing on the desktop
    > > everytime the computer starts up. Any ideas on how to prevent this from
    > > happening? Thanks very much!

    If you use Norton's, they have a fix on their site, somewhere

    --
    Mark L. Ferguson
    "Sid" <Sid@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FCF13A7C-9513-4870-8255-A10291E7E329@microsoft.com...
    > Hey thanks for your help but the tweak doesn't work - it's says the expected
    > registry value does not exist
    >
    > "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
    >
    >> System32 Folder Opens When Logging on to Windows XP
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=170086
    >>
    >> For an automated Edit go here:
    >>
    >> Read the instructions at the top of the page.
    >> Scroll down to:
    >> 260. Right hand side.
    >> System32 Folder Opens Upon Boot
    >>
    >> --
    >> Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >>
    >> Wes
    >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >>
    >> In news:031B5962-D226-4A39-9298-433CD508B4D9@microsoft.com,
    >> Sid <Sid@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    >> > Hello! I seem to get a WINDOWS/SYSTEM32 folder appearing on the desktop
    >> > everytime the computer starts up. Any ideas on how to prevent this from
    >> > happening? Thanks very much!

    Sid,

    This message?
    [[This script cannot repair your issue. The expected Registry value was not
    found.]]

    The script looks for SB Audigy 2 Startup Menu value in
    HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    This is a real common problem with Dell machines that have an OEM version of
    the Sound Blaster Audigy 2 sound card. But it isn't the only thing that
    causes the System32 folder to open at startup.

    Have a look at this..
    System32 Folder Opens When Logging on to Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=170086

    If you aren't sure about what's goofy, open Registry Editor...
    Start | run | Type: regedit | Click OK |
    Navigate to >>
    Right click on the Run folder | Click Export | Select Desktop | For file
    name Run1 | For Save as type select Text File | Click the Save button

    Navigate to >>
    Right click on the Run folder | Click Export | Select Desktop | For file
    name Run2 | For Save as type select Text File | Click the Save button

    Go to the Desktop and open both Run1.txt and Run2.txt, copy everything and
    paste it into a message and post back.

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:FCF13A7C-9513-4870-8255-A10291E7E329@microsoft.com,
    Sid <Sid@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > Hey thanks for your help but the tweak doesn't work - it's says the
    > expected registry value does not exist
    >
    > "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
    >
    >> System32 Folder Opens When Logging on to Windows XP
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=170086
    >>
    >> For an automated Edit go here:
    >>
    >> Read the instructions at the top of the page.
    >> Scroll down to:
    >> 260. Right hand side.
    >> System32 Folder Opens Upon Boot
    >>
    >> --
    >> Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >>
    >> Wes
    >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >>
    >> In news:031B5962-D226-4A39-9298-433CD508B4D9@microsoft.com,
    >> Sid <Sid@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    >>> Hello! I seem to get a WINDOWS/SYSTEM32 folder appearing on the desktop
    >>> everytime the computer starts up. Any ideas on how to prevent this from
    >>> happening? Thanks very much!

    Hello Wesley thanks for all your help so far - this is RUN1 :

    Key Name:
    Class Name: <NO CLASS>
    Last Write Time: 7/29/2005 - 6:08 PM
    Value 0
    Name: ctfmon.exe
    Type: REG_SZ
    Data: C:\WINDOWS\System32\ctfmon.exe

    Value 1
    Name: STManager
    Type: REG_SZ
    Data: "C:\Program Files\SpeedTouch\Dr SpeedTouch\drst.exe" -b

    Value 2
    Name: Skype
    Type: REG_SZ
    Data: "C:\Program Files\Skype\Phone\Skype.exe" /nosplash
    /minimized

    Value 3
    Name: PaperQuote '01
    Type: REG_SZ
    Data: C:\Program Files\PaperQuote\PQ.exe

    And this is RUN2

    Key Name:
    Class Name: <NO CLASS>
    Last Write Time: 8/1/2005 - 11:22 AM
    Value 0
    Name: Zone Labs Client
    Type: REG_SZ
    Data: C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe

    Value 1
    Name: UpdateManager
    Type: REG_SZ
    Data: "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sonic\Update
    Manager\sgtray.exe" /r

    Value 2
    Name: TkBellExe
    Type: REG_SZ
    Data: "C:\Program Files\Common
    Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot

    Value 3
    Name: Symantec NetDriver Monitor
    Type: REG_SZ
    Data: C:\PROGRA~1\SYMNET~1\SNDMon.exe /Consumer

    Value 4
    Name: SunJavaUpdateSched
    Type: REG_SZ
    Data: C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_04\bin\jusched.exe

    Value 5
    Name: SpeedTouch USB Diagnostics
    Type: REG_SZ
    Data: "C:\Program Files\Thomson\SpeedTouch USB\Dragdiag.exe"
    /icon

    Value 6
    Name: QuickTime Task
    Type: REG_SZ
    Data: "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime

    Value 7
    Name: PCSuiteTrayApplication
    Type: REG_SZ
    Data: C:\PROGRA~1\Nokia\NOKIAP~1\TRAYAP~1.EXE

    Value 8
    Name: iTunesHelper
    Type: REG_SZ
    Data: "C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe"

    Value 9
    Name: IgfxTray
    Type: REG_SZ
    Data: C:\WINDOWS\System32\igfxtray.exe

    Value 10
    Name: HotKeysCmds
    Type: REG_SZ
    Data: C:\WINDOWS\System32\hkcmd.exe

    Value 11
    Name: eTrustPPAP
    Type: REG_SZ
    Data: "C:\Program Files\CA\eTrust
    PestPatrol\PPActiveDetection.exe"

    Value 12
    Name: DVDSentry
    Type: REG_SZ
    Data: C:\WINDOWS\System32\DSentry.exe

    Value 13
    Name: DataLayer
    Type: REG_SZ
    Data: C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\PCSuite\DATALA~1\DATALA~1.EXE

    Value 14
    Name: ccRegVfy
    Type: REG_SZ
    Data: "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec
    Shared\ccRegVfy.exe"

    Value 15
    Name: <NO NAME>
    Type: REG_SZ

    Key Name:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\OptionalComponents
    Class Name: <NO CLASS>
    Last Write Time: 4/23/2005 - 6:38 PM

    Key Name:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\OptionalComponents\IMAIL
    Class Name: <NO CLASS>
    Last Write Time: 4/23/2005 - 6:38 PM
    Value 0
    Name: Installed
    Type: REG_SZ
    Data: 1

    Key Name:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\OptionalComponents\MAPI
    Data: 1

    Value 1
    Name: NoChange
    Type: REG_SZ
    Data: 1

    Key Name:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\OptionalComponents\MSFS
    Data: 1

    Once again many thanks for your ongoing help, it is very kind of you and
    much appreciated.

    Sid

    "Wesley Vogel" wrote:

    > The script looks for SB Audigy 2 Startup Menu value in
    > HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    > This is a real common problem with Dell machines that have an OEM version of
    > the Sound Blaster Audigy 2 sound card. But it isn't the only thing that
    > causes the System32 folder to open at startup.

    Hello Wes,

    Thanks for the heads up on this matter. Your link and description of the
    problem allowed me to correct the system32 issue that I was having with my
    Dell 8400 and Audigy2 card.

    To all who are reading this message... check out the link that Wes provided.
    It appears to have a lot of good fixes.

    -Rick

    i have exacly the same problem
    that thing at kellys korner doesnt work and i dont understand the
    windows support one
    their idiots

    i did what you said to do

    this is run1

    Key Name:
    Class Name: <NO CLASS>
    Last Write Time: 8/26/2005 - 2:26 PM
    Value 0
    Name: PCMService
    Type: REG_SZ
    Data: "C:\Program Files\Dell\Media
    Experience\PCMService.exe"

    Value 1
    Name: IntelMeM
    Type: REG_SZ
    Data: C:\Program Files\Intel\Modem Event
    Monitor\IntelMEM.exe

    Value 2
    Name: DVDLauncher
    Type: REG_SZ
    Data: "C:\Program
    Files\CyberLink\PowerDVD\DVDLauncher.exe"

    Value 3
    Name: dla
    Type: REG_SZ
    Data: C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswctrl.exe

    Value 4
    Name: UpdateManager
    Type: REG_SZ
    Data: "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sonic\Update
    Manager\sgtray.exe" /r

    Value 5
    Name: Dell Photo AIO Printer 922
    Type: REG_SZ
    Data: "C:\Program Files\Dell Photo AIO Printer
    922\dlbtbmgr.exe"

    Value 6
    Name: AVG7_CC
    Type: REG_SZ
    Data: C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe /STARTUP

    Value 7
    Data: C:\Program Files\Nokia\Nokia PC Suite 6\Launch
    Application 2.exe -onlytray

    Value 8
    Name: DataLayer
    Type: REG_SZ
    Data: C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\PCSuite\DATALA~1\DATALA~1.EXE

    Value 9
    Name: Time Sync
    Type: REG_SZ
    Data: C:\Program Files\Time Sync\time.exe

    Value 10
    Name: gcasServ
    Type: REG_SZ
    Data: "C:\Program Files\Microsoft
    AntiSpyware\gcasServ.exe"

    Value 11
    Name: MessengerPlus3
    Type: REG_SZ
    Data: "C:\Program Files\MessengerPlus! 3\MsgPlus.exe"

    Value 12
    Name: WildTangent CDA
    Type: REG_SZ
    Data: "C:\Program Files\WildTangent\Apps\CDA\GameDrvr.exe"
    /startup "C:\Program Files\WildTangent\Apps\CDA\cdaEngine0500.dll"

    Value 13
    Name: Tsl2
    Type: REG_SZ
    Data: C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\tsa\tsl2.exe

    Value 14
    Name: TkBellExe
    Type: REG_SZ

    Data: C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_04\bin\jusched.exe

    Value 16
    Name: CloneCDTray
    Type: REG_SZ
    Data: "C:\Program Files\SlySoft\CloneCD\CloneCDTray.exe"
    /s

    Value 17
    Name: CleanIt
    Type: REG_SZ
    Data: C:\Program Files\CleanIt\cleanit.exe

    Key Name:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\OptionalComponents
    Class Name: <NO CLASS>
    Last Write Time: 12/28/2004 - 4:41 PM

    Data: 1

    Value 1
    Name: NoChange
    Type: REG_SZ

    Data: 1

    Data: "C:\Program Files\Dell\Media
    Experience\PCMService.exe"

    Value 1
    Name: IntelMeM
    Type: REG_SZ
    Data: C:\Program Files\Intel\Modem Event
    Monitor\IntelMEM.exe

    Value 2
    Name: DVDLauncher
    Type: REG_SZ

    Data: C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswctrl.exe

    Value 4
    Name: UpdateManager
    Type: REG_SZ
    Data: "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sonic\Update
    Manager\sgtray.exe" /r

    Data: "C:\Program Files\Dell Photo AIO Printer
    922\dlbtbmgr.exe"

    Value 6
    Name: AVG7_CC
    Type: REG_SZ
    Data: C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe /STARTUP

    Value 7
    Data: C:\Program Files\Nokia\Nokia PC Suite 6\Launch
    Application 2.exe -onlytray

    Value 8
    Name: DataLayer
    Type: REG_SZ
    Data: C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\PCSuite\DATALA~1\DATALA~1.EXE

    Value 9
    Name: Time Sync
    Type: REG_SZ
    Data: C:\Program Files\Time Sync\time.exe

    Value 10
    Name: gcasServ
    Type: REG_SZ
    Data: "C:\Program Files\Microsoft
    AntiSpyware\gcasServ.exe"

    Value 11
    Name: MessengerPlus3
    Type: REG_SZ
    Data: "C:\Program Files\MessengerPlus! 3\MsgPlus.exe"

    Value 12
    Name: WildTangent CDA
    Type: REG_SZ

    Data: C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\tsa\tsl2.exe

    Value 14
    Name: TkBellExe
    Type: REG_SZ

    Data: C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_04\bin\jusched.exe

    Value 16
    Name: CloneCDTray
    Type: REG_SZ
    Data: "C:\Program Files\SlySoft\CloneCD\CloneCDTray.exe"
    /s

    Value 17
    Name: CleanIt
    Type: REG_SZ

    Data: 1

    Value 1
    Name: NoChange
    Type: REG_SZ

    Data: 1

    --
    shane_ishga

    can someone please help me
    please

    --
    shane_ishga

    "shane_ishga" wrote:

    > i have exacly the same problem
    > that thing at kellys korner doesnt work and i dont understand the
    > windows support one
    > their idiots

    Hello shane_ishga,

    To clarify things before you begin, I AM NOT a computer expert (nor an
    "idiot") and I have screwed up my system more times than I have been able to
    correct on my own... so take this response for what it is worth.

    I followed Wesley's instructions and downloaded the file that was named.

    (This is where it gets sketchy because it's been a while since I made my
    repairs)
    After downloading this file I went into Windows Explorer and double clicked
    on the contents. My system seemed to recognize this file and appearred to
    load it into memory. When I rebooted my system afterwards... the dreaded
    System32 screen had stopped loading at start up.

    Needless to say... I was one happy camper. As of this date, the System32
    screen has not mysteriously reappeared at startup. I hope this works for you
    also.

    If this does not work for you... I apologize... I don't know what else to
    tell you. Also, please keep in mind that you do this at your own risk as I
    have no idea if it will work on your system or make matters worse!

    -Rick

    thank you

    but that file from kellys korner is for the sb audigy thingy
    and i dont have that so its not the cause

    --
    shane_ishga

    Yeah I had the same prob - it said that the expected registry value was not
    found

    can anyone check out the registry values listed and tell whether it's one of
    those??

    "shane_ishga" wrote:

    > thank you
    >
    > but that file from kellys korner is for the sb audigy thingy
    > and i dont have that so its not the cause
    >

    > --
    > shane_ishga

Microsoft Windows XP