File name extension?

I have a file with many pictures in it and bellow the picture where the name
is it says .JPG or ,GIF next to the name, but i cant get rid of it, so when
i try to change the name without the .JPG a popup come up and says "if you
change the file name extension the file me become unsusable". How do i get
rid of this?

Jim

Is it a folder that you have pics in that is named "yourname".jpg ? Or are
you trying to rename the pics themselves?