XP replaced screensaver with message

My screensaver was replaced by a floating text box with the following message:
"Could not find any compatible Direct3D devices".

This occurred after I reduced my hardware acceleration (control
panel-display-settings-advanced-troubleshoot) which I had to do to get the
graphics working in Microsoft Publisher. I cannot now change my screensaver
back to what it was. What does the 'Direct3D' refer to, and how to fix this?
--
Thank you.

start/run, type DXDIAG

--
Mark L. Ferguson
"gollyg" <gollyg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:60FAFE77-182E-4770-BE28-FE42B41737FF@microsoft.com...
> My screensaver was replaced by a floating text box with the following message:
> "Could not find any compatible Direct3D devices".
>
> This occurred after I reduced my hardware acceleration (control
> panel-display-settings-advanced-troubleshoot) which I had to do to get the
> graphics working in Microsoft Publisher. I cannot now change my screensaver
> back to what it was. What does the 'Direct3D' refer to, and how to fix this?
> --
> Thank you.

results of DXDIAG: "No problems found"
Under the 'Display" tab, it said:
"Direct3D functionality not available. You should verify that the driver is
a final version from the hardware manufacturer".

The computer is a Dell. The adapter is an Intel. I checked for drivers from
both Dell and Intel. I downloaded the latest adapter (dated Aug. 2004) from
the Dell website, but it was the same as the one already installed. I
downloaded the latest adapter (dated July 2005) from the Intel website. When
I tried to install it, I got a message that said: "This driver cannot be
installed on this hardware".

The adapter is "Intel 82915G/GV/910GL Express Chipset Family"
According to the Intel web site, the corresponding driver is Version
PV14.15. This is the one I downloaded.

Help!
--
Thank you.

"Mark L. Ferguson" wrote:

> start/run, type DXDIAG
>
> --
> Mark L. Ferguson
> "gollyg" <gollyg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:60FAFE77-182E-4770-BE28-FE42B41737FF@microsoft.com...
> > My screensaver was replaced by a floating text box with the following message:
> > "Could not find any compatible Direct3D devices".
> >
> > This occurred after I reduced my hardware acceleration (control
> > panel-display-settings-advanced-troubleshoot) which I had to do to get the
> > graphics working in Microsoft Publisher. I cannot now change my screensaver
> > back to what it was. What does the 'Direct3D' refer to, and how to fix this?
> > --
> > Thank you.

Go to Start/Run, and type DEVMGMT.MSC , highlight the Video device, Action menu, "Uninstall", then restart Windows, to find the
device drivers again automatically.
Resources for troubleshooting display problems in Windows XP http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307960
--
Mark L. Ferguson
"gollyg" <gollyg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9E678C98-8641-4318-9827-C8FFC65AE152@microsoft.com...
> results of DXDIAG: "No problems found"
> Under the 'Display" tab, it said:
> "Direct3D functionality not available. You should verify that the driver is
> a final version from the hardware manufacturer".
>
> The computer is a Dell. The adapter is an Intel. I checked for drivers from
> both Dell and Intel. I downloaded the latest adapter (dated Aug. 2004) from
> the Dell website, but it was the same as the one already installed. I
> downloaded the latest adapter (dated July 2005) from the Intel website. When
> I tried to install it, I got a message that said: "This driver cannot be
> installed on this hardware".
>
> The adapter is "Intel 82915G/GV/910GL Express Chipset Family"
> According to the Intel web site, the corresponding driver is Version
> PV14.15. This is the one I downloaded.
>
> Help!
> --
> Thank you.
>

> "Mark L. Ferguson" wrote:
>
>> start/run, type DXDIAG
>>
>> --
>> Mark L. Ferguson
>> FAQ for Windows Antispy http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/FAQ_MSantispy.htm
>> "gollyg" <gollyg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:60FAFE77-182E-4770-BE28-FE42B41737FF@microsoft.com...
>> > My screensaver was replaced by a floating text box with the following message:
>> > "Could not find any compatible Direct3D devices".
>> >
>> > This occurred after I reduced my hardware acceleration (control
>> > panel-display-settings-advanced-troubleshoot) which I had to do to get the
>> > graphics working in Microsoft Publisher. I cannot now change my screensaver
>> > back to what it was. What does the 'Direct3D' refer to, and how to fix this?
>> > --
>> > Thank you.

I tried your suggestion and my computer froze up.
--gollyg

"Mark L. Ferguson" wrote:

> Go to Start/Run, and type DEVMGMT.MSC , highlight the Video device, Action menu, "Uninstall", then restart Windows, to find the
> device drivers again automatically.
> Resources for troubleshooting display problems in Windows XP http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307960
> --
> Mark L. Ferguson
> "gollyg" <gollyg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9E678C98-8641-4318-9827-C8FFC65AE152@microsoft.com...
> > results of DXDIAG: "No problems found"
> > Under the 'Display" tab, it said:
> > "Direct3D functionality not available. You should verify that the driver is
> > a final version from the hardware manufacturer".
> >
> > The computer is a Dell. The adapter is an Intel. I checked for drivers from
> > both Dell and Intel. I downloaded the latest adapter (dated Aug. 2004) from
> > the Dell website, but it was the same as the one already installed. I
> > downloaded the latest adapter (dated July 2005) from the Intel website. When
> > I tried to install it, I got a message that said: "This driver cannot be
> > installed on this hardware".
> >
> > The adapter is "Intel 82915G/GV/910GL Express Chipset Family"
> > According to the Intel web site, the corresponding driver is Version
> > PV14.15. This is the one I downloaded.
> >
> > Help!
> > --
> > Thank you.
> >

> > "Mark L. Ferguson" wrote:
> >
> >> start/run, type DXDIAG
> >>
> >> --
> >> Mark L. Ferguson
> >> FAQ for Windows Antispy http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/FAQ_MSantispy.htm

The video card or driver seems to be broken. If a repair setup from the Dell disks fails, you would need to replace the video
hardware.

--
Mark L. Ferguson