XP replaced screensaver with message

My screensaver was replaced by a floating text box with the following message:
"Could not find any compatible Direct3D devices".

This occurred after I reduced my hardware acceleration (control
panel-display-settings-advanced-troubleshoot) which I had to do to get the
graphics working in Microsoft Publisher. I cannot now change my screensaver
back to what it was. What does the 'Direct3D' refer to, and how to fix this?
--
Thank you.
5 answers Last reply

    start/run, type DXDIAG

    --
    Mark L. Ferguson
    "gollyg" <gollyg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:60FAFE77-182E-4770-BE28-FE42B41737FF@microsoft.com...
    > My screensaver was replaced by a floating text box with the following message:
    > "Could not find any compatible Direct3D devices".
    >
    > This occurred after I reduced my hardware acceleration (control
    > panel-display-settings-advanced-troubleshoot) which I had to do to get the
    > graphics working in Microsoft Publisher. I cannot now change my screensaver
    > back to what it was. What does the 'Direct3D' refer to, and how to fix this?
    > --
    > Thank you.

    results of DXDIAG: "No problems found"
    Under the 'Display" tab, it said:
    "Direct3D functionality not available. You should verify that the driver is
    a final version from the hardware manufacturer".

    The computer is a Dell. The adapter is an Intel. I checked for drivers from
    both Dell and Intel. I downloaded the latest adapter (dated Aug. 2004) from
    the Dell website, but it was the same as the one already installed. I
    downloaded the latest adapter (dated July 2005) from the Intel website. When
    I tried to install it, I got a message that said: "This driver cannot be
    installed on this hardware".

    The adapter is "Intel 82915G/GV/910GL Express Chipset Family"
    According to the Intel web site, the corresponding driver is Version
    PV14.15. This is the one I downloaded.

    Help!
    --
    Thank you.

    "Mark L. Ferguson" wrote:

    > start/run, type DXDIAG
    >
    > --
    > Mark L. Ferguson
    > "gollyg" <gollyg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:60FAFE77-182E-4770-BE28-FE42B41737FF@microsoft.com...
    > > My screensaver was replaced by a floating text box with the following message:
    > > "Could not find any compatible Direct3D devices".
    > >
    > > This occurred after I reduced my hardware acceleration (control
    > > panel-display-settings-advanced-troubleshoot) which I had to do to get the
    > > graphics working in Microsoft Publisher. I cannot now change my screensaver
    > > back to what it was. What does the 'Direct3D' refer to, and how to fix this?
    > > --
    > > Thank you.

    Go to Start/Run, and type DEVMGMT.MSC , highlight the Video device, Action menu, "Uninstall", then restart Windows, to find the
    device drivers again automatically.
    Resources for troubleshooting display problems in Windows XP http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307960
    --
    Mark L. Ferguson
    "gollyg" <gollyg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9E678C98-8641-4318-9827-C8FFC65AE152@microsoft.com...
    > results of DXDIAG: "No problems found"
    > Under the 'Display" tab, it said:
    > "Direct3D functionality not available. You should verify that the driver is
    > a final version from the hardware manufacturer".
    >
    > The computer is a Dell. The adapter is an Intel. I checked for drivers from
    > both Dell and Intel. I downloaded the latest adapter (dated Aug. 2004) from
    > the Dell website, but it was the same as the one already installed. I
    > downloaded the latest adapter (dated July 2005) from the Intel website. When
    > I tried to install it, I got a message that said: "This driver cannot be
    > installed on this hardware".
    >
    > The adapter is "Intel 82915G/GV/910GL Express Chipset Family"
    > According to the Intel web site, the corresponding driver is Version
    > PV14.15. This is the one I downloaded.
    >
    > Help!
    > --
    > Thank you.
    >

    > "Mark L. Ferguson" wrote:
    >
    >> start/run, type DXDIAG
    >>
    >> --
    >> Mark L. Ferguson
    >> FAQ for Windows Antispy http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/FAQ_MSantispy.htm
    >> "gollyg" <gollyg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:60FAFE77-182E-4770-BE28-FE42B41737FF@microsoft.com...
    >> > My screensaver was replaced by a floating text box with the following message:
    >> > "Could not find any compatible Direct3D devices".
    >> >
    >> > This occurred after I reduced my hardware acceleration (control
    >> > panel-display-settings-advanced-troubleshoot) which I had to do to get the
    >> > graphics working in Microsoft Publisher. I cannot now change my screensaver
    >> > back to what it was. What does the 'Direct3D' refer to, and how to fix this?
    >> > --
    >> > Thank you.

    I tried your suggestion and my computer froze up.
    --gollyg

    "Mark L. Ferguson" wrote:

    > Go to Start/Run, and type DEVMGMT.MSC , highlight the Video device, Action menu, "Uninstall", then restart Windows, to find the
    > device drivers again automatically.
    > Resources for troubleshooting display problems in Windows XP http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307960
    > --
    > Mark L. Ferguson
    > "gollyg" <gollyg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9E678C98-8641-4318-9827-C8FFC65AE152@microsoft.com...
    > > results of DXDIAG: "No problems found"
    > > Under the 'Display" tab, it said:
    > > "Direct3D functionality not available. You should verify that the driver is
    > > a final version from the hardware manufacturer".
    > >
    > > The computer is a Dell. The adapter is an Intel. I checked for drivers from
    > > both Dell and Intel. I downloaded the latest adapter (dated Aug. 2004) from
    > > the Dell website, but it was the same as the one already installed. I
    > > downloaded the latest adapter (dated July 2005) from the Intel website. When
    > > I tried to install it, I got a message that said: "This driver cannot be
    > > installed on this hardware".
    > >
    > > The adapter is "Intel 82915G/GV/910GL Express Chipset Family"
    > > According to the Intel web site, the corresponding driver is Version
    > > PV14.15. This is the one I downloaded.
    > >
    > > Help!
    > > --
    > > Thank you.
    > >

    > > "Mark L. Ferguson" wrote:
    > >
    > >> start/run, type DXDIAG
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Mark L. Ferguson
    > >> FAQ for Windows Antispy http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/FAQ_MSantispy.htm

    The video card or driver seems to be broken. If a repair setup from the Dell disks fails, you would need to replace the video
    hardware.

    --
    Mark L. Ferguson
    "gollyg" <gollyg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5C958F9E-71D2-4345-A5A5-64F49BF900AB@microsoft.com...
    >I tried your suggestion and my computer froze up.
    > --gollyg
    >

    > "Mark L. Ferguson" wrote:
    >
    >> Go to Start/Run, and type DEVMGMT.MSC , highlight the Video device, Action menu, "Uninstall", then restart Windows, to find the
    >> device drivers again automatically.
    >> Resources for troubleshooting display problems in Windows XP http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307960
    >> --
    >> Mark L. Ferguson
    >> FAQ for Windows Antispy http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/FAQ_MSantispy.htm
    >> "gollyg" <gollyg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9E678C98-8641-4318-9827-C8FFC65AE152@microsoft.com...
    >> > results of DXDIAG: "No problems found"
    >> > Under the 'Display" tab, it said:
    >> > "Direct3D functionality not available. You should verify that the driver is
    >> > a final version from the hardware manufacturer".
    >> >
    >> > The computer is a Dell. The adapter is an Intel. I checked for drivers from
    >> > both Dell and Intel. I downloaded the latest adapter (dated Aug. 2004) from
    >> > the Dell website, but it was the same as the one already installed. I
    >> > downloaded the latest adapter (dated July 2005) from the Intel website. When
    >> > I tried to install it, I got a message that said: "This driver cannot be
    >> > installed on this hardware".
    >> >
    >> > The adapter is "Intel 82915G/GV/910GL Express Chipset Family"
    >> > According to the Intel web site, the corresponding driver is Version
    >> > PV14.15. This is the one I downloaded.
    >> >
    >> > Help!
    >> > --
    >> > Thank you.