nvidia is evil

G

we must give a RED card to NVIDIA !!!
<i>
"We have stated it many times that NVIDIA pursues a strong-hand policy to make the partners be loyal to its chips. That’s one of the reasons why so few grand-scale manufacturers have decided to announce STM KYRO II graphics cards. Nowadays there are only four non-local-brand names contemplating to base their cards on the KYRO: VideoLogic, Hercules, InnoVision and Suma. Most other manufacturers are direct partners of NVIDIA and don’t risk to get out of touch with the graphics chip giant. In fact, their fear are not groundless at all. Lately we could’ve seen the deplorable fate of those who dare to violate the NVIDIA-only principle.
Here’s the first precedent. As we know, it was Hercules who headed the unfaithful movement. It announced a couple of graphics accelerators based on KYRO and KYRO II. Before that Hercules used to take NVIDIA’s chips only and even enjoyed the reputation of a reliable partner being one of the first companies to launch a GeForce3 graphics card. Apparently, Hercules thought that NVIDIA would think it a too serious firm to make rows with. Well, some time later the consideration proved false. Like a jealous wife, NVIDIA didn’t forgive Hercules’ flippancy and crossed it out of the partner list. Formal exclusion was followed by pretty tangible material losses. NVIDIA stopped shipping its chips to Hercules directly. Of course, there were almost no troubles with buying the lower chips like the entire GeForce2 family – they were free to get at the grey market (now Hercules resorts to this variant), but GeForce3 is not available there yet. Naturally, Hercules ran out of its GeForce3 supplies soon and in the weeks to come Hercules 3D Prophet III will stop shipping, as Reactor Critical reports.
Yet Hercules gives no official confirmation to these rumors, though it can be merely for the company’s apprehension to add oil to the burning conflict with NVIDIA. However, the fact is that Hercules risks greatly to lose the only product in its line which is targeted at high-performance gaming systems. Its only hope now lies with ATI which intended to provide the graphics card manufacturers with its not yet released RADEON 2. "</i>

taken from:
<A HREF="http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/#991948633" target="_new">http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/#991948633</A>

buy an radeon or kyro or whatever but you must not buy any nvidia product !!!
this is a evil company that must DIE !!!

rcf84

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Good point PowerVR2. My Anti nvidia army will end nvidia evil rule on the computer industry. Me, PowerVR2, spudmuffin will keep and fighting till the end.

Nice Intel and AMD users get a Cookie.... :smile: Yummy :smile:

SerArthurDayne

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2001
*yawn*

Oh look... more trite nVidia bashing propaganda. Do I need to bring up old history of other card manufacturers? This is just business as usual...

/me is not impressed

G

This is sad that companies are resorting to tactics like this. Intel is doing the same thing to VIA right now. And Rambus is of course messing with Intel. And M$ is doing this to everybody.

Bud

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2001
To a point, I agree. I've worked with Intel though engineering firms that build equipment for Intel, and those
Intel people come in and act like they own you and your company for giving you the "privilege" of selling them
your equipment!

However, having said that, Maybe the other board makers just happen to like Nvida so much they simply don't want to watse their R&D time making so many different boards using so many other chips...all of which would probably require their engineering and board layout teams to work overtime doing multiple designs, or hire multiple teams to design multiple design and board layouts....It's all about good business decisions and making money.

But....I hope for my sake as the end consumer and video card buyer that Nvida does NOT become the only game in town. I will probably still buy GF, but I don't like buying from a monopoly either.

I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken.

Pettytheft

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2001
Nothing is sad about it at all. It's buisness, every leading company does it. If you were in any one of these companies you would do the same thing. Nice guys finish last.

Blah, Blah Blahh, Blahh, blahh blah blahh, blah blah.

HolyGrenade

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2001
Were waiting, how long do you think the battle last. Are you gonna get you imaginary friends to help you out? or are they just good for tea parties...

<font color=red>"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye Mighty, and dispair!"</font color=red>

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
This sounds like good new to me. Opens up opportunities for a number of other graphics companies to sell chips to Hercules who does have the available funds to design, manufacture and promote a vast number of new chips. When nVidia starts losing market share they will come back begging Hercules to use their chips again. That is if this is really true in the first place. ATI Radeon chip cards by other manufacturers are now stacking up and looks to be soon available by a number of sources.

Well to eat your <b>C :smile: :smile: kie</b> and have it too, gotta get <b>Rade :smile: n II</b>

HolyGrenade

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2001
I think the best decision ATI have made for a while is not a technical one with the radeons (though they were good), it is the marketing one, to sell chips to oems.

This will increase their revenue quite a bit. I think more graphics chip designers/manufacturers would still help competition. Some how, I think Imgtec will not hold its own very well. But I also think this is a delicate time. Too many designers will throw off the standards a bit.

Also, don't be all ecstatic with ATI either. They were the Biggest Graphics card manufacturer for quite a while. Before, there were a lot of competition, but as soon as 3D arrived, the development costs soared, the others dropped. A few remained, ATI and Matrox amongst the giants. New borns like 3dfx and nVidia hit the jack pot. well, the rest is history.

Any company in the position of nVidia would do exactly as nVidia is doing. Afterall, it is business. This is how our capitalist society works.

Look at Boeing. When every one was comfortable with the 747 and the other manufacturers had nothing in its class, the sales were so easy for boeing. They were just jlying high. But when all the airlines started to want something smaller with more luxury, there were plenty of competition from Airbus 330 and something from McDonell Douglous.

When United Airlines needed a smaller plane, it had a 70 hour negotiation with the three companies, at the end boeing still won with its 777. All the negotiation was to do with the price.

So, any company would try to take advantage of a zero competition situation. But if the competion is sufficient, they'll have to think their strategy.

<font color=red>"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye Mighty, and dispair!"</font color=red>

tartarhus

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2001
Yes, I agree. Hopefully ati's move will restore balance in the force. The more viable chip alternatives there are the harder it will be for nvidia to nforce its reign of power :)

-- Chaos is the better order.

G

Think of the future:
HERCULES RADEON BOARDS... WITH GOOD DRIVERS :-D

Just a thought... wouldn't NVidia's practices be considered monopolistic (trying to force other companies to "marry" them). Things'll get really interesting when there are enough viable alternatives (Radeon II, Kyro II, anything else that comes along...) that board makers would make more profit by walking away from NVidia.

rcf84

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Yup, Nvidia are evil just like when Rambus married Intel. All over again.

ATi N-Patchs will kick some A$$ image quality wise but Will work in less FPS to the Geforce3 ultra. Well then nvidia will have to tell this FPS in more important then Image Quality. Its like the some thing with Radeon and the Geforce2 ultra. Nvidia told everyone FPS is the most important thing and they sold alot. People are more aware know so nvidia SCAM won't work.

Nice Intel and AMD users get a Cookie.... :smile: Yummy :smile: