No Boot after new installation

I tried to give my pc (P4 2,4 GHz, 512 RAM 1066 RAMBUS, 2x 120 GB
Western Digital HD) a new install with win xp pro (with sp2 included)

Worked fine - the whole installation procedure passed smoothly - do the
first updates, restart - hangs after the boot-screen (the one with the
windows-logo and the blue bar running) ...

At 1 out of 10 trials i can get to the desktop, the other 9 it will
continue to do nothing at the black screen until i do a reset ...

What could it be? I tried a re-install for 4 times now - no other
programmes installed yet: it seems that after the first updates from
the internet something happens to windows that keeps it from running?

the pc worked fine until i tried the new install - so there should be
no problem with the machine at all! Harddisks are all quite new
(according to S.M.A.R.T. ok) - but as soon as i download and install
the windows updates fun is over!

Is there anyone that could give me a hint or maybe had the same problem
once?

Thanks in advance!

--
HQOFIQ
1 answer Last reply

    Try running some RAM tests. I hear Memtest86 is good.

    http://www.memtest86.com/

    HQOFIQ wrote:
    > I tried to give my pc (P4 2,4 GHz, 512 RAM 1066 RAMBUS, 2x 120 GB
    > Western Digital HD) a new install with win xp pro (with sp2 included)
    > ..
    >
    > Worked fine - the whole installation procedure passed smoothly - do
    > the first updates, restart - hangs after the boot-screen (the one
    > with the windows-logo and the blue bar running) ...
    >
    > At 1 out of 10 trials i can get to the desktop, the other 9 it will
    > continue to do nothing at the black screen until i do a reset ...
    >
    > What could it be? I tried a re-install for 4 times now - no other
    > programmes installed yet: it seems that after the first updates from
    > the internet something happens to windows that keeps it from running?
    >
    > the pc worked fine until i tried the new install - so there should be
    > no problem with the machine at all! Harddisks are all quite new
    > (according to S.M.A.R.T. ok) - but as soon as i download and install
    > the windows updates fun is over!
    >
    > Is there anyone that could give me a hint or maybe had the same
    > problem once?
    >
    > Thanks in advance!

Windows XP