No Boot after new installation

I tried to give my pc (P4 2,4 GHz, 512 RAM 1066 RAMBUS, 2x 120 GB
Western Digital HD) a new install with win xp pro (with sp2 included)

Worked fine - the whole installation procedure passed smoothly - do the
first updates, restart - hangs after the boot-screen (the one with the
windows-logo and the blue bar running) ...

At 1 out of 10 trials i can get to the desktop, the other 9 it will
continue to do nothing at the black screen until i do a reset ...

What could it be? I tried a re-install for 4 times now - no other
programmes installed yet: it seems that after the first updates from
the internet something happens to windows that keeps it from running?

the pc worked fine until i tried the new install - so there should be
no problem with the machine at all! Harddisks are all quite new
(according to S.M.A.R.T. ok) - but as soon as i download and install
the windows updates fun is over!

Is there anyone that could give me a hint or maybe had the same problem
once?

Thanks in advance!

--
HQOFIQ

Try running some RAM tests. I hear Memtest86 is good.

http://www.memtest86.com/