XP programs won't run

July 30, 2005 3:17:58 PM

Bert.
Thanks for the detailed response, I was convinced it would work.
Alas, no such luck.
I managed to run %systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe, but when the
Restore window opened, it was completely empty.

I had already tried to 'start computer using last known good
configuration', but that didn't work.

Reading the details on 'Winows XP repair', I performed a repair
installation using the XP disc with a little more success. I do have
more control this time, i.e. I can run most programs, but the
short-cuts are still screwed up.

After I located and ran the first program (Spybot) from its actual
location, clicking on any other short-cut would start up Spybot again
(almost as though this particular program has become the default for
all short-cuts???

Also, when I open up device drivers, it's empty.

I did suceed in installing a utillity called 'Tune up' from the ROM
drive. It installed okay (except the short-cut was as before), and it
ran with no problem directly from the .exe file.

Any further advice would be welcome - thanks.

--
merchantman

More about : programs run

Anonymous
July 30, 2005 3:17:59 PM

Hi,

To repair the shortcut association click on the following link at the web page below.
Download and run the script.

You will also notice other association fixes there as well.

LNK (Shortcut) File Association Fix (Restores Default Shortcut Behavior)

Windows XP File Association Fixes

!