CACLS - Filename incorrect....

Hi

I used CACLS to set permissions on a users folder, but it has not given me
access to the subdirectories.....

The commands used, were:

> CD "DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS"

> CACLS "FRED" /T /E /C /G "ADMIN":F

I can now go into "FRED" folder, but am unable to go into "MY DOCUMENTS", so
I tried the ollwing command while in "FRED"....

> CACLS "MY DOCUMENTS" /T /E /C /G "ADMIN":F

All I get back is... The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is
incorrect

I have tried all sort of combinations, including the full path and with
wildcards, but it has not worked.

Could you please help? I am trying to recover the folder after a major crash
:eek:/

Thanks

162786 - Undocumented CACLS Group Permissions Capabilities:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q162786

--
Mark L. Ferguson
"DemonTraitor" <DemonTraitor@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4751C930-6987-4605-8669-2FF834EB7402@microsoft.com...
> Hi
>
> I used CACLS to set permissions on a users folder, but it has not given me
> access to the subdirectories.....
>
> The commands used, were:
>
>> CD "DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS"
>
>> CACLS "FRED" /T /E /C /G "ADMIN":F
>
> I can now go into "FRED" folder, but am unable to go into "MY DOCUMENTS", so
> I tried the ollwing command while in "FRED"....
>
>> CACLS "MY DOCUMENTS" /T /E /C /G "ADMIN":F
>
> All I get back is... The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is
> incorrect
>
> I have tried all sort of combinations, including the full path and with
> wildcards, but it has not worked.
>
> Could you please help? I am trying to recover the folder after a major crash
> :eek:/
>
> Thanks

Sorry, this has not helped. I should have stated that I am using XP Home.
This is what I am getting....

C:\Documents and Settings\Fred>cacls *.* /T /C /G everyone:F
Are you sure (Y/N)?y
ACCESS_DENIED: C:\Documents and Settings\Fred\Application Data
processed file: C:\Documents and Settings\Fred\cccc.bat
ACCESS_DENIED: C:\Documents and Settings\Fred\Cookies
ACCESS_DENIED: C:\Documents and Settings\Fred\Desktop
ACCESS_DENIED: C:\Documents and Settings\Fred\Favorites
ACCESS_DENIED: C:\Documents and Settings\Fred\Local Settings
ACCESS_DENIED: C:\Documents and Settings\Fred\My Documents
ACCESS_DENIED: C:\Documents and Settings\Fred\NetHood
ACCESS_DENIED: C:\Documents and Settings\Fred\NTUSER.DAT
ACCESS_DENIED: C:\Documents and Settings\Fred\NTUSER.DAT.LOG
ACCESS_DENIED: C:\Documents and Settings\Fred\ntuser.ini
ACCESS_DENIED: C:\Documents and Settings\Fred\Phone Browser
ACCESS_DENIED: C:\Documents and Settings\Fred\PrintHood
ACCESS_DENIED: C:\Documents and Settings\Fred\Recent
ACCESS_DENIED: C:\Documents and Settings\Fred\SendTo
ACCESS_DENIED: C:\Documents and Settings\Fred\Start Menu
ACCESS_DENIED: C:\Documents and Settings\Fred\Templates
ACCESS_DENIED: C:\Documents and Settings\Fred\WINDOWS
The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect.

C:\Documents and Settings\Fred>cd "My Documents"
Access is denied.

Will I ever be able to get into these sub-directories?

Thanks :eek:/

"Mark L. Ferguson" wrote:

> 162786 - Undocumented CACLS Group Permissions Capabilities:
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q162786
>

> --
> Mark L. Ferguson
> "DemonTraitor" <DemonTraitor@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4751C930-6987-4605-8669-2FF834EB7402@microsoft.com...
> > Hi
> >
> > I used CACLS to set permissions on a users folder, but it has not given me
> > access to the subdirectories.....
> >
> > The commands used, were:
> >
> >> CD "DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS"
> >
> >> CACLS "FRED" /T /E /C /G "ADMIN":F
> >
> > I can now go into "FRED" folder, but am unable to go into "MY DOCUMENTS", so
> > I tried the ollwing command while in "FRED"....
> >
> >> CACLS "MY DOCUMENTS" /T /E /C /G "ADMIN":F
> >
> > All I get back is... The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is
> > incorrect
> >
> > I have tried all sort of combinations, including the full path and with
> > wildcards, but it has not worked.
> >
> > Could you please help? I am trying to recover the folder after a major crash
> > :eek:/
> >
> > Thanks

When you boot to Safe Mode, and log on as default "Administrator" account, the Properties of the folder will allow unchecking 'make
this folder private', and offer a Security tab, and Permissions button for My Documents.

--
Mark L. Ferguson