Where are ALL of the firewall.cpl parameters stored?

poe

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2005
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

Hey, folks! I am DESPERATELY trying to locate, in either the registry or
elsewhere, where firewall.cpl stores the following (below is the common
term used to refer to the setting, along with the name of the registry
key (if one exists) to the best of my knowledge):

Allow local program exceptions AllowUserPrefMerge
Allow remote admin exception RemoteDesktop
Allow file and printer sharing FileAndPrint
Allow remote desktop exception RemoteDesktop
Allow UPnP framework exception UPnPFramework
Log Dropped Packets LogDroppedPackets
Log Successful Connections LogSuccessfulConnections
Logfile pathname LogFilePath
Logfile Size LogFileSize
Prohibit Unicast DisableUnicastResponsesToMulticastBroadcast
Define Port Exceptions GloballyOpenPorts
Allow Local Port Exceptions AllowUserPrefMerge

I THINK these should be in he registry but I dumped registry starting
from HKLM and could not find them. I could find a few settings under
HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy
but not the ones specified above. I found a readme on the MS site that
mentioned GPO, but that makes no sense if a system is, for example, not
in a domain. Having said that, I am not a Windows expert and could be wrong.

Help would be very greatly appreciated. Sorry for spamming 3 groups but
I am trying desperately to figure this out over the weekend.

Poe wrote:

> Hey, folks! I am DESPERATELY trying to locate, in either the registry or
> elsewhere, where firewall.cpl stores the following (below is the common
> term used to refer to the setting, along with the name of the registry
> key (if one exists) to the best of my knowledge):
>
> Allow local program exceptions AllowUserPrefMerge
> Allow remote admin exception RemoteDesktop
> Allow file and printer sharing FileAndPrint
> Allow remote desktop exception RemoteDesktop
> Allow UPnP framework exception UPnPFramework
> Log Dropped Packets LogDroppedPackets
> Log Successful Connections LogSuccessfulConnections
> Logfile pathname LogFilePath
> Logfile Size LogFileSize
> Prohibit Unicast DisableUnicastResponsesToMulticastBroadcast
> Define Port Exceptions GloballyOpenPorts
> Allow Local Port Exceptions AllowUserPrefMerge
>

> I THINK these should be in he registry but I dumped registry starting
> from HKLM and could not find them. I could find a few settings under
> HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy
> but not the ones specified above. I found a readme on the MS site that
> mentioned GPO, but that makes no sense if a system is, for example, not
> in a domain. Having said that, I am not a Windows expert and could be
> wrong.
>
> Help would be very greatly appreciated. Sorry for spamming 3 groups but
> I am trying desperately to figure this out over the weekend.

Uh - forgot to mention, XP SP2 :-( Sorry - non-windows person here, be kind!

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\Repository\FS\OBJECTS.DATA

Peter Clark wrote:
> C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\Repository\FS\OBJECTS.DATA

Doesn't look to be a file I can easily interrogate with tools. Bummer.
But thanks for the information - I needed to know what I was up against
in my quest to get at all the firewall.cpl values!

Poe wrote:

> Peter Clark wrote:
>
>> C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\Repository\FS\OBJECTS.DATA
>

> Doesn't look to be a file I can easily interrogate with tools. Bummer.
> But thanks for the information - I needed to know what I was up against
> in my quest to get at all the firewall.cpl values!
Hi,

You can display the SP2 firewall settings like this (do it in a
command prompt to see the output):

netsh.exe firewall show config

For a more detailed listing:

netsh.exe firewall show config verbose = ENABLE

You can use netsh.exe to configure most of the firewall settings
as well.

The netsh.exe syntax is documented in WF_XPSP2.doc.

WF_XPSP2.doc "Deploying Windows Firewall Settings for Microsoft
Windows XP with Service Pack 2" is downloadable from
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=4454e0e1-61fa-447a-bdcd-499f73a637d1

the 1328 page Scripting Guide:

Torgeir Bakken (MVP) wrote:
> Poe wrote:
>
>> Peter Clark wrote:
>>
>>> C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\Repository\FS\OBJECTS.DATA
>>

>> Doesn't look to be a file I can easily interrogate with tools. Bummer.
>> But thanks for the information - I needed to know what I was up against
>> in my quest to get at all the firewall.cpl values!
>
> Hi,
>
> You can display the SP2 firewall settings like this (do it in a
> command prompt to see the output):
>
> netsh.exe firewall show config
>
> For a more detailed listing:
>
> netsh.exe firewall show config verbose = ENABLE
>

> You can use netsh.exe to configure most of the firewall settings
> as well.
>
> The netsh.exe syntax is documented in WF_XPSP2.doc.
>
> WF_XPSP2.doc "Deploying Windows Firewall Settings for Microsoft
> Windows XP with Service Pack 2" is downloadable from
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=4454e0e1-61fa-447a-bdcd-499f73a637d1

Nothing personal, but I think I love you :)

Poe wrote:

> Torgeir Bakken (MVP) wrote:
>

>> You can display the SP2 firewall settings like this (do it in a
>> command prompt to see the output):
>>
>> netsh.exe firewall show config
>>
>> For a more detailed listing:
>>
>> netsh.exe firewall show config verbose = ENABLE
>>

>> You can use netsh.exe to configure most of the firewall settings
>> as well.
>>
>> The netsh.exe syntax is documented in WF_XPSP2.doc.
>>
>> WF_XPSP2.doc "Deploying Windows Firewall Settings for Microsoft
>> Windows XP with Service Pack 2" is downloadable from
>> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=4454e0e1-61fa-447a-bdcd-499f73a637d1
>>

> Nothing personal, but I think I love you :)

<LOL>

Glad I could help you out :)

the 1328 page Scripting Guide: