G

Hi, I'm looking for some help in buying a new monitor. I want a 20 inch or possibly a 19 inch monitor, but I'm a little confused as to which one I should buy, so I wanted to ask you guys if you had some suggestions as to what monitor I should purchase.
I'm looking for the price to be not to much over 400$ so its probably going to be a 19inch monitor but I want to have a really high refresh rate at 1024x768 (I don't really care how high the resolution can go because I'm only going to use it at 1024x768) and also I'm looking for a low dot pitch rate I saw some with .22mm and I'm assuming that will probably get me the best quality right?

Any suggestions as to which monitor I should buy and what I should look for, I don't really care about brand names I'm looking for pure hardware specs and quality of the image.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
i HAD (and wish now that i didnt have to part with it)
a Optiquest V75 17"-er
i know optiquest make a 19" model.
my 17' did 1024x768 @ 117hz, and i believe the 19' can do it even higher (+120)
the picture was crisp, clear and undistorted, and never had any problems with it
and it was also significantly cheaper than the next rung up.

take a look
www.optiquest.com
i think it is..

This behavior must not continue! Feel the BURNING STARE of my HAMSTER... and change your ways!

G

Get a Samsung SyncMaster 950p. around 300 bucks.

You can also check out www.pcworld.com for their list of "Top 19 inch. Monitors"--which is updated every month.

<font color=blue>Your Mouse moved. WINDOWS NT must restart for changes to take effect. Restart Now? [OK]</font color=blue>

G

Even though it may be slightly over your price range, I would HIGHLY recommend a Sony monitor. I have had a Multiscan 17se for almost 7(!) years and it still looks sharp and bright. A far cry from some of my friend's monitors after only two years of use.

Best advice: DON'T SKIMP ON MONITOR. It is the one piece of your system that will never really be "outdated," so you're better off paying more for quality. Unlike other computer components, a higher-priced monitor can actually be a good investment. Maybe look into a factory-refurbished model.

Good luck

ajmcgarry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I second that,
Sony lead the masses on quality but you got to pay that little bit extra.

<font color=blue>Smoke me a Kipper, I'll be back for breakfast!</font color=blue>

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
I picked up a used HP workstation monitor with a 21" (20" viewable) near flat, Sony Trinitron tube with a gorgeous display, price, $285. Computer shows if you have one near you may have used high end monitors for sell. They are a steal. Text is so sharp it is almost eye cutting.

Well to eat your <b>C :smile: :smile: kie</b> and have it too, gotta get <b>Rade :smile: n II</b><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by noko on 06/13/01 03:13 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

arsend

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
I will agree with jem007, Sony Monitors last a long time and give great pictures. Also, I am currently using a CTX monitor and it does a great job. I recieved it for graduation in 1996. Five years and the picture has not degrated a bit. My next monitor will probably be a Sony 21 inch or greater since I watch movies, TV and DVD on my computer and the bigger picture would be nice.

If it works for you then don't fix it.

G

Do you want a flat one? Samsung SyncMatsre 955df is truly flat, has 100hz refresh rate at 1024x768@32, .024(shadow mask) dot pitch and good, vivid screen, you won't see any difference between 100hz and 160Hz. It is about $350 in stores (model is very similar to 950p, but falt)