XP Home Edition freezes at start-up

I have current updated XP home edition on my Toshiba laptop, successfully
running for 2 1/2 years. I use it at home, and at work I had the
administrator set it up to permit me to log into their network. Since then
the computer freezes at start-up on the blue screen that shows the Windows XP
logo, and the words "Windows is starting up". I found that I can navigate
through this at startup by tapping the F8 key rapidly before that screen
appears. I tried the System Restore to a date earlier than the
administrator's work, but no help. Is their a repair or restore procedure
that will cure this problem? Thanks.
--
Ryk
3 answers Last reply

    Ryk,

    You need to ask the administrator what he/she modified. It 'may' be that this setup is now waiting for a network connection or network login.

    Is the problem occurring at the office, or away from the office?

    Did the System Restore complete successfully all the way?

    A XP repair is one of the very last things to resort to. And it will require your having the XP CD (not a recovery CD).

    While in Safe Mode of XP, you should look at all the startup programs, and startup settings.

    Also, look at contents of the following 2 files in the Windows\System32 folder (or yours may be WINNT\System32) :

    Autoexec.nt
    Config.nt

    You may go to www.dougknox.com and download Doug's Startup tracker.
    That would help you get a complete list of startups.
    Hopefully you can download it from another pc, transfer to portable media, and setup & run while in Safe Mode.
    --
    Maurice N
    MVP Windows - Shell / User

    Ryk wrote:
    > I have current updated XP home edition on my Toshiba laptop,
    > successfully running for 2 1/2 years. I use it at home, and at work
    > I had the administrator set it up to permit me to log into their
    > network. Since then the computer freezes at start-up on the blue
    > screen that shows the Windows XP logo, and the words "Windows is
    > starting up". I found that I can navigate through this at startup by
    > tapping the F8 key rapidly before that screen appears. I tried the
    > System Restore to a date earlier than the administrator's work, but
    > no help. Is their a repair or restore procedure that will cure this
    > problem? Thanks.

    Thanks. I plan to ask the admin when I get in touch with him about it. The
    problem occurs at home, not at the office (so far). System Restore succeeded
    completely. I will follow the other tips you offered at the end, and I
    really appreciate it.
    --
    Ryk

    "Maurice N ~ MVP" wrote:

    > Ryk,
    >
    > You need to ask the administrator what he/she modified. It 'may' be that this setup is now waiting for a network connection or network login.
    >
    > Is the problem occurring at the office, or away from the office?
    >
    > Did the System Restore complete successfully all the way?
    >
    > A XP repair is one of the very last things to resort to. And it will require your having the XP CD (not a recovery CD).
    >
    > While in Safe Mode of XP, you should look at all the startup programs, and startup settings.
    >
    > Also, look at contents of the following 2 files in the Windows\System32 folder (or yours may be WINNT\System32) :
    >
    > Autoexec.nt
    > Config.nt
    >

    > You may go to www.dougknox.com and download Doug's Startup tracker.
    > That would help you get a complete list of startups.
    > Hopefully you can download it from another pc, transfer to portable media, and setup & run while in Safe Mode.
    > --
    > Maurice N
    > MVP Windows - Shell / User
    > -----
    >
    > Ryk wrote:
    > > I have current updated XP home edition on my Toshiba laptop,
    > > successfully running for 2 1/2 years. I use it at home, and at work
    > > I had the administrator set it up to permit me to log into their
    > > network. Since then the computer freezes at start-up on the blue
    > > screen that shows the Windows XP logo, and the words "Windows is
    > > starting up". I found that I can navigate through this at startup by
    > > tapping the F8 key rapidly before that screen appears. I tried the
    > > System Restore to a date earlier than the administrator's work, but
    > > no help. Is their a repair or restore procedure that will cure this
    > > problem? Thanks.

    Ryk,
    Do hope it helps. You are welcome.
    --
    Maurice N
    MVP Windows - Shell / User

    Ryk wrote:
    > Thanks. I plan to ask the admin when I get in touch with him about
    > it. The problem occurs at home, not at the office (so far). System
    > Restore succeeded completely. I will follow the other tips you
    > offered at the end, and I really appreciate it.

Windows XP